SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    I agree with you all about versatility. I'm wondering though, if the shape of the Nube offers an advantage. I get the sense that Richard may be a very skilled designer, and that he chose that shape for a reason over the course of his design process.

Craig, do you find you don't have to worry about water dripping down the lines with the Winter Haven? They created closure sleeves for the Nube to deal with that. What do you do otherwise?

Also, gear storage is something that I want. Any thoughts on how to achieve that if I went with separate pieces like the Winter Haven and separate bug net?

Bubba, which tarp and bug net do you like?
    No issue my dutch whoopie hooks or a cinch buckle suspension will have no problems as water will never reach the hammock. Gear storage could be easily acheived by making a mini hammock to suspend below you main setup. Could possibly hang from the same suspension.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I like the Nube concept, but it looks like an underquilt option might be an issue.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Bur,WB Lynx
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    There was a thread on here a little while back about this Nube get up. I followed the link and checked it out. I thought it was interesting, but not as good as what is currently available on the market.

My conclusion was that it more expensive(the biggest hurdle against it), not as versatile(less set up options), and doesn't bring anything new to the table(that I can see) or solve anything that doesn't already have a solution. To me it's like trying to replace the wheel with an octogon.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    Bubba, which tarp and bug net do you like?
    I use a Warbonnet Edge in the summer and a Warbonnet Superfly in the colder months. I use a Warbonnet Blackbird year round and it has an integrated bugnet. When there are no bugs I leave the bugnet off and tie it down. If its cold but not freezing I leave it closed for a little extra warmth.

It seems to me the shape of the Nube tarp is a consequence of the bugnet attachment. The pull from it creates the angle. Tarps used here that have side pull outs like my Superfly have the opposite shape of the Nube and therefor much more room under the tarp.

I'd be interested to see the results of more field testing with regards to the closures that keep water from entering. I would think in a prolonged rain, water will eventually wick in but I could be wrong. I have drip stops on my suspension and so far have never had a wet hammock.

Another thing I am wondering about is the gear storage. It's a great idea but I am short and for me to have room under my hammock for gear and an underquilt, the hammock would have to be pretty high. I like to use my hammock as a seat with my feet on the ground. It nice for putting on my boots and being able to make a hot drink if rained in.

Admittedly having routine and technique with gear makes it harder to look at new things. On the other hand it makes it easier to see potential issues that might arise. As with any new product, I suspect that if their venture is successful the next version will have more refinements based on user input.
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-27-2013 at 09:32.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images

Nube vs Other Tarps?

I got my hands on one of the Nubé prototypes and I am impressed. I am doing a 2 nighter this coming weekend and they are calling for wind and temps in the low to mid 20s. There is a lot of room in this thing and no problem with an under quilt. No, it is not the lightest thing on the market but I am really impressed with the design and functionality. Here is a vid I shot this morning showing some of the detail of the Nubé. Sound quality isn't the greatest. Let me know if you have any questions and I will post on how it does in the cold and wind this weekend.

http://youtu.be/OIY2_23JAvg
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I'd like to see how you hung your UQ.

as for tarps, I have used both a Mac Cat Deluxe and a SuperFly
    without EVER getting wet.
    EVER.

This included 70 mph winds as well as snow, sleet and rain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images

Nube vs Other Tarps?

OES Mac Cat has been my tarp of choice and It has served me well in snow, rain and ridiculous wind. I will not be giving up my Mac Cat, just adding the Nubé to my arsenal. Based on weight, if I am going backpacking on a long backcountry, trip I probably wouldn't choose the Nubé but for shorter trips and motorcycle/car camping I will probably use it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images

Nube vs Other Tarps?

I will post another vid with my under quilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12