Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    I've had a few damp nights, the worst being when it's thick fog, there's just nothing you can do about drifting fog, no matter how many doors and weathershields you've got.

My quilts don't really get damp as my body heat seems to deal with that, but I have noticed moisture on the outside fabric of the hammock/underquilt in damp weather. I've made a sil cover for my underquilt which acts as a kind of sacrificial layer, much easier to air out.

As kids a lot of us boys spent every Friday night we could down by the creek, and every Saturday morning we woke up to our bedding being pretty wet. No mystery, it was dew settling on us just like it settles on the grass. My tarp is often very wet in the morning, but my hammock is dry, and the one time I set up without the tarp, yep, wet in the morning.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Nocturnal emissions?

How cold was it at night? It could have been condensation from your body perspiring during the night. When you perspire the water vapour will move from inside to outside of your insulation layers, then hit the cold night air and condense.
    I don't think so. I'm too old for that teenage stuff. I had a thermometer on the outside of my pack. It looked like the temp was 55. The official temp was 46, so I think I was in a warm spot. Right about that, but the whole hammock and everything else was damp too. So it must have been that the nylon seems to attract the moisture when the fabric gets cold. Could I be right?

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    As kids a lot of us boys spent every Friday night we could down by the creek, and every Saturday morning we woke up to our bedding being pretty wet. No mystery, it was dew settling on us just like it settles on the grass. My tarp is often very wet in the morning, but my hammock is dry, and the one time I set up without the tarp, yep, wet in the morning.
    I think this may sound about right. I did not have a tarp up and the night was gorgeous. I even looked at the moon shining through the trees and the stars.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by nyhiker50 View Post
    Could it have been the material or the weather?

If the temperature falls below the dew point, then everything not covered up gets wet from the falling dew. That's why you need a tarp most all the time. A pretty heavy dew can fall during humid weather.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    tablecloth/homemade
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    [QUOTE=jimmay;1079731]Nocturnal emissions?

Eeeeeeeewwww!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    With 2 months in Maine in the hammock every night but 2. I only had 2 nights that the hammock felt damp and cold. One was a fog that rolled in up the Penobscot Bay and the bugnet was like a trap with droplets forming in the mesh. The other was aftera fine misty rain for most of the day but after climbing in the hammock my body heat seemed to dry the hammock out. One of the nights that I didn't stay in the hammock was following the most awesome lightening storm I had ever witnessed in Maine. Heavy rain and lightening then nothing but 76 degrees, 100% humidity and no wind. Hammock was dry until I started sweating. The entire 2 months was spent under a Tadpole with one side down and the other in porch mode.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12