Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gathered/whipped vs sewn/end channel

Pardon me if this thread is redundant, but the search terms are so common that I didn't turn up any particularly useful old threads. I currently have three hammocks, a Hennessey light racer (Hennessey folding/whipping), a DIY (whipped end) that I got off swap here, and a Yukon double from woot (sewn channel). I'm considering cutting down the DIY to make it smaller and would obviously need to choose a end-finishing method if I were to do that. It seems the sewn channel is much less popular in both DIY and commercial offerings and I'm wondering why that would be. Thoughts?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I use a sewn channel on all my hammocks. I've both run my suspension through it on heavier weight material, and simply used it to gather on lighter 1.1oz material.

The sewn channel has less "fiddle factor", but if something isn't right it needs to be seam ripped and resewn. A whipping lets you fiddle and adjust, but if it's taken apart, it may not be exactly the same next time. Depending on your whipping cord and how tight you tie it, it may also slip off the hammock material if your suspension larks head accidentally loads it.

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    We started off using the whipped end method, but then decided to switch to the sewn end channel, for a few reasons.

1. It looks better
    2. It packs up smaller without the whipping.
    3. It is safer, since you dont have to worry about the suspension larks-head slipping off the whipped end/knot.
    -Ryan and Kyle Baker, Owners
    www.AppalachianHammock.com

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I don't sew gather any of mine anymore. They are all fan folded if wide width, and hand gathered if normal width, and then I use a sheet bend knot combining my hammock and suspension (which is a sewn mule tape loop) right into the hammock. Impossible slippage and easy spot to hang undercovers and underquilts.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I don't sew gather any of mine anymore. They are all fan folded if wide width, and hand gathered if normal width, and then I use a sheet bend knot combining my hammock and suspension (which is a sewn mule tape loop) right into the hammock. Impossible slippage and easy spot to hang undercovers and underquilts.
    Whats the reason you abandoned the sewn end?

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I do a Hybrid of the two...My signature has a tutorial on how I do it.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Whats the reason you abandoned the sewn end?
    There is no need for it. Plus, if I need to change something within the gather, such as center pulled a bit tighter or looser, I'm able to.

I originally whipped my table cloth hammock just because it took nothing other then some cord to make. I hand gathered and pulled the ends out ~2in. I really liked the hammock.

When I bought thread related power tools, I figured I stitch up an channel since I like the channel end more from an aesthetics/packing point of view... made a carefully measured consistent end channel and was disappointed, same lack of support under your head as my GTUL.

In lieu of ripping seams, I stitched the two long sides together to form a tube for ~8 inches or so at both ends and passed the ridge line inside, so that the edges are held a little tighter by the ridge line. This is similar to how Papa smurf does it (though he does it much better) and how Lost in Space has shown in some tutorials for zippered bug nets. I like how this works on my Dream Hammock, but only somewhat happy with my tablecloth.

When I made my 1.1 netless DIY I cut 4 inch wide by 2 inch deep triangles from each corner of the the blank, so that each long side was shorter by 2 inches at the edge, normal length by 4 inches in. I then made a channel end, but due to using dyneema for suspension I decided to run a separate cord through the channels to gather the material and provide a bulb for the suspension to hold. The effect is somewhat minor, but helps quite a bit to cause the material to just curve up into a lip at the edge. I have found with no bug net, this is VERY important for me to feel proper support under my head. With out it the material feels like it falls away at the edge and cannot support weight.
    This is also a very comfortable hammock.

So in the end, I like a channel end for packaging and aesthetics, provided the edges are shorted ~2in at both ends, or some other function of the design accomplishes roughly the same thing.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I use a Knotty Mod hybrid.

The end is pinned in line with the ripstop to be as straight as I can get it and sewn. Not to hard when it's pinned correctly. This allows me to have a very small channel and I don't loose too much material. A single sew line is all that's necessary.
    Then, I pass my whipping line (mason line) through the channel and pull the material to a ball. This is equal to the gather but simpler and neater(just, no adjustability).
    I wrap the whipping 3-4 times and tie off. The whoopie is double wrap larksheaded below the whipping and that's it. No problems in 2 years with this method. Thanks Knotty.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Interesting justifications, thanks everyone. I guess I'm an easy lay b/c I can't tell a comfort difference between my three that isn't due to size.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast