Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBWan View Post
    Just an FYI - maybe I'm gullible, but despite the fact that I found out that the outfitter actually DOES use commission-based sales for their employees, I don't believe these employees were trying to switch me to ground just to make a better sale. I truly think that they were each basing their advice on their own personal experience and trying to guide me in the right direction. Or at least what they thought was the right direction. Some of them just didn't have any (or enough experience) with hammocks to realize the options available.
    Good point.
    I try to spend money where I ask my questions, if possible. Keeps the local guys in business...unless they are trying to gouge me on the price, then I go online.
    When shopping, my first question is:
    "Do you sell/have *item*?"
    Then:
    "Have you used *item* yourself, or been out with friends who use it?"
    It puts the advice and recommendations in perspective.

BTW, go back to your hanging site at Indian Steps next January (please pick a night with blowing snow) and you may understand that the salesperson really did have your best interest in mind!

A lot of the advice you will get here is from 'committed hammock users', so you need to remember that ....

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: Local outfitter trying to convince me to Go to Ground

I truly think that they were each basing their advice on their own personal experience and trying to guide me in the right direction.
    It makes sense to me considering you are a trail runner and weight is absolutely critical. If you polled other trail runners, I bet most do not have a hammock. Of course, they just haven't seen the light yet.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Just an FYI - maybe I'm gullible, but despite the fact that I found out that the outfitter actually DOES use commission-based sales for their employees, I don't believe these employees were trying to switch me to ground just to make a better sale. I truly think that they were each basing their advice on their own personal experience and trying to guide me in the right direction. Or at least what they thought was the right direction. Some of them just didn't have any (or enough experience) with hammocks to realize the options available.

I just had to put that out there because I really like these salespeople and they have been truly helpful even when they knew I was only there to ask questions rather than shopping.
    Speaking for myself only.

I don't blame them, either. They may or may not have had a bad experience in a hammock, without your knowledge. Or, they may have a net hammock at family home (not good for overnight or camping).

No matter what the reason, they just don't know the possibilities, that's why I choose to inform the person, or even show them proof, like the picture you have.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    For 40*F, I agree with the hammock option. That's not 'cold' in a lot of places I've camped in the winter!

I love my hammock/pad and use it whenever I can. Here in the PNW, it's a great option with a large tarp, and I love not sliding off my (thick) pad during the night.

Reality check: In cold, deep snowy conditions there's seldom a problem finding a decent tent site - just stamp out a level spot with your snowshoes/skis. I would never trade the warm snugginess of a proper 4 season tent (like a Stephenson Warmilte Double Wall) for snow camping (lie in your sleeping bag and cook/melt snow outside the door...) for hanging my butt in the air in the snow and wind. Find a survival expert who recommends climbing a tree (vs snow hole) for winter survival and I'll change my mind..Just my 'two cents worth'...
    Dude we have some the same gear! Kastinger P Habeler boots, insulated "Super" Gaitors, and you have a Stephenson Warmlite tent too. Do you have a Warmlite triple bag with a DAM(!)?

I love my Warmlite 3R*SEC in cold deep snow. The Triple bag makes for an ultra warm bed. Add a candle lantern at the peak and talk about TOASTY! What a palace for 2 and roomy for 3! Dig a stoop outside of the 2 tent doors for putting on boots with steps down into a carved table and benches. Like you I think it would likely be a significant downgrade to hang even with a 20° UQ and TQ and a pad in my Clark NX-250 with oversize Vertex tarp in cocoon mode.
    *aluminized top, side windows, end liners, center pole
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 10-08-2013 at 19:31.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    How often do you hear tent campers talking about replacing their bed with a thermarest and sleeping bag and sleeping on the floor? Yet, if you hang around these forums for a while, there are lots of people contemplating replacing their bed with a hammock, even inside the house.
    Exactly
    that pretty much sums it up
    ...Tell me no lies, make me a happy man ...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Stomp down a spot with skis/snow shoes, hang winter tarp and hammock then build a snow wall up to the bottom of the tarp. You have roughly the same sealing as the tent. Add a winter vestibule with a small stove and you are even better off. You can even double wall the tarp if you want to. My point is that for every tent setup you can match it with a hanging setup. From there it really is HYOH. Pick your setup and learn how to use it and you will be equally comfortable.

If there is is an exception it is very cold with no snow and no other material to build up the walls between the tarp and ground. There is probably some place like that but I do not go there. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678