Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I've had my HH Deep Jungle XL for a few years now, and will keep it, even though I use other hammocks and it doesn't get much use lately. I still love it, and I may have to pull it out this weekend. The weather is supposed to be great.

I used to have an HH Explorer UL and I liked it, but I sold it for other hammocks I like better.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    On the other hand, I don't understand why people are willing to pay nearly full retail price for a used Warbonnet hammock - but it happens all the time. I would buy a new one rather than pay nearly full retail price. To each their own.
    I suspect this is so they don't have to wait a month to get it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Stock+Rappel Rings
    I will say that I bought a HH because I didn't have to wait, and it was my first hammock so I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. After upgrading to a superfly tarp I'm more than happy...however, that doesn't mean that I won't check out other setups at the group hang.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    I dont think HHs are beginner hammocks. Not sure why this title has been bestowed upon them. If I had to pick a beginner hammock, I would pick any of the ENOs.
    I agree, I would steer a backyard/car camping newb towards an ENO first myself.

Hammock
    DIY Green Cat cut
    Tarp
    SUPA FLY
    Insulation
    golite TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    for me HH is too heavy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickycodie View Post
    for me HH is too heavy.
    comparing apples to apples the other zip bugnet hammocks are very comparable in weight.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    I think the "beginner" stigma comes from their marketing. Before I found out about hammockforums, Hennessey was the only company I found making camping hammocks. It wasn't until I was reading someone's accounts on hiking the A.T. till I discovered this site, and all of the great cottage vendors.....
    Same here. It was the hammock camping section on the Whiteblaze forum that got me hooked on the idea and led me to HH, and ultimately here.... for hours on end.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I don't consider myself a hammock "pro" like some of the guys here but after a year of sleeping in one off/on ...I would say close to 100 days now...I don't believe I am a beginner either.

I have three hammocks: HH Expedition, ENO DBL, and one from Handy Hammock. I am not a "fiddler" or "modder". It either works for me or it does not. I will do my best to set it up correctly, spend a night or two making adjustments, then I am done.

So far the ONLY hammock I have found that does that for me is the HH. From day one I hung it according to the instructions on the web site and I have been snug as a bug in it.

If that makes me and HH a beginner, then ...I guess I am going to remain a beginner

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i have never owned one. when i was newbier than i am now, i came very close to pulling the trigger on one. the newb in me thought that the all in one was a great idea for a great price. however, after reading posts on here for hours, i concluded that the stock suspension can be a hassle, and should be swapped, the stock tarp is too small, and will need to be upgraded, and the hammocks themselves were listed as being good for someone up to 6', which seemed like it might be too short (i'm a backpacker, and was looking at the backpacker/hyperlight models).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    +1 on beginner hammock. My first hammock was an HH Expedition. I never use it anymore but I wouldn't try to sell it because people expect deep discounts on used Hennessys.

On the other hand, I don't understand why people are willing to pay nearly full retail price for a used Warbonnet hammock - but it happens all the time. I would buy a new one rather than pay nearly full retail price. To each their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginTuff OOOOO View Post
    I suspect this is so they don't have to wait a month to get it.
    I have only been a member for a few months but I have researched both the WBBB and the HH. I have found that HH are made in China and it only takes a few days to be delivered and Tom H. doesn't belong to this site yet there is a thread decided to his products. Where as the WBBB are handmade in the USA by a vendor that is a member of and supports this site.

I suspect that due to the long wait time and the great customer service Warbonnet Guy provides is the reason that WBBB resell so quickly without losing much value. When I first joined I saw a 4 year old WBBB double-layer sell at $145 in a days ime, a mere $30 of loss in 4 years time.

I don't know why HH are considered beginners hammocks. I would agree that the ENO and the Skeeter Beater would be for beginners. I don't think they hold their resale value as well due to being mass produced in a factory overseas and due to the fact that one would be delivered brand-new to your door in a few days.

I purchased a WBBB XLC brand new, It took about a month to be delivered. I also purchased a HH Safari used from the forum but I paid a hundred less than it was brand new.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast