Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I bought a new HH Explorer rather than a used one because at the time the used ones were within $25 of the price of a new one and there was nothing else that I could get in a few days. I have swapped the stock kit for a Dutchware setup and it is now extremely easy to set up, comparably light and very comfortable so I will no doubt own it for a long time.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Like many others who have commented here, I'm surprised (as a new guy here at HF, reading a LOT of old posts ) at the high prices folks are asking for used gear. (Used sleeping bags/quilts and even hats for 75% of new price...yuk!)
    The 'right price' and lots of pictures and accurate info have always worked for me, selling online....

To the bigger issue of 'attention paid' to Hennessey (and Clark and Exped) hammocks, folks here concentrate on the DIY and the cottage/specialty vendors, it seems. I have an Exped Ergo and there's not much 'play value' in it - it all works just fine with my Exped pad and a sleeping bag (instead of TQ) - how boring is that??
    Now if I had a DIY hammock, and then was looking to get 'the right tarp' for it, that would be fun! Seriously.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Stuff's worth whatever people are willing pay for it. Low prices on HH resale stuff doesn't bother me as I'm not planning to sell anytime soon. I will keep my eyes peeled for another DJXL for a great price. It's a great hammock. Super comfortable and as for weight, it's about the same as a WBBB XLC double for an apples to apples comparison. Quite honestly, I've never tried any Hennessy but the DJXL so it's quite possible that fit issues others have mentioned exist for other lower priced models for taller people (I'm 5'9" on a good day). I'm not thru-hiking the AT (anytime soon), so the extra few ounces I'm carrying doesn't bother me.

I'm enjoying the forums and the DIY spirit around here, which is why I think the cottage vendors are so highly regarded. I understand that Hennessy's don't get the love on here but that's ok. Tom isn't an active participant on the forums (caveat... that I've noticed, anyway) and his products are actually assembled in China (along with, you know, the iPhone, iPad, probably all the rip-stop we're all using for DIY projects). If any of the cottage vendors had a business plan that involved worldwide distribution and being carried in stores like REI, they'd seriously have to consider a Chinese manufacturing strategy as well. The quality of the DJXL is excellent, as I found out one night when I flipped it and found myself hanging from the bug net. The fabric is buttery soft. In fact, if anyone knows where you can get ripstop like it, please let me know.

Tom will likely never be seen as "one of our cottage vendors" (a phrase heard all the time on here), because he has his own ideas and does his own thing. He's got great ideas but doesn't have a monopoly on great ideas. I've replaced his suspension with whoopies, and opted for an underquilt instead of his Super Shelter. I've made a great hammock even better with the help of this community, whether or not Tom would approve.

They're beginner in the sense that people starting out usually buy hammocks they can get at a store in their town. If, by "beginner" people think they wouldn't have utility to someone who's done all the research and is looking for one of the best hammocks around, they're anything but.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I probably shouldn't dredge up old threads, but it may put an additional perspective on this conversation:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=1161
    and
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=12274

point to some negative personal interactions with Tom H back in the day.

Given that it hasn't come up yet, maybe all the folks that remember these days have moved on/choose to stay silent, but it may be that HH just leave a bad taste in some folks mouths.

- Chad

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bab5freak View Post
    I probably shouldn't dredge up old threads, but it may put an additional perspective on this conversation:

and

Given that it hasn't come up yet, maybe all the folks that remember these days have moved on/choose to stay silent, but it may be that HH just leave a bad taste in some folks mouths.

- Chad
    Chose to stay silent, but just because I didn't have the energy to go there. I just left it at " he does not participate at HF".

But some folks did get a bad taste back in the day, right or wrong. Still, his hammocks have always been excellent at a pretty good price and HH customer service has always been excellent with only one or two known complaints over 7 years, countered with lots of praises for customer service.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post

Tom will likely never be seen as "one of our cottage vendors" (a phrase heard all the time on here), because he has his own ideas and does his own thing. He's got great ideas but doesn't have a monopoly on great ideas. I've replaced his suspension with whoopies, and opted for an underquilt instead of his Super Shelter. I've made a great hammock even better with the help of this community, whether or not Tom would approve.
    I like the hennessy... and it was a fine hammock by itself. I'm not upset it is made in China, those twelve year olds get lots of practice sewing, and make just about everything. Plus, someone has to make sure American Dock Workers keep their jobs. I love my Deuter pack, too, and it's made in Vietnam...

Like you I spent a little money and made some improvements. I have a Hammock Gear UQ, and replaced my suspension with whoopies just to make putting it up a little simpler. The stock suspension is fine, I just wanted to move a little faster and decrease some cord bulk.

But it's a fine shelter in it's own right, my only other choice being an ENO for winter (no bug net needed...)
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 w/net,Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY D&Syn TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    CinchB & WS,Dutch

Hennessy Hammocks

I have a couple of them Explorer Asy & Hyperlite. I've also made several of my own hammocks both with and without netting. Also picked up an ENO just for lounging around. That said i feel the Hennessy hammocks are NOT entry level at all..well made overall especially for imports. I'll go out on a limb and say that the Main Reason they don't sell well on this forum is WEIGHT. Most folks seem to want lightweight hammocks and aside from the Hyperlite & UL Backpacker the rest of the line is fairly heavy. As for comfort both the Hyperlite& Explorer are comfortable in my opinion. Cost wise if you buy directly from HH and Buy a stripped hammock(No Tarp) the cost is close to Warbonnet. The other factor is the suspension-most folks don't like the stock rope line on the HH Hammocks; its easy to change but at additional expense to the buyer. Anyway just my two cents-Cheers

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bab5freak View Post

and

- Chad
    So.. at the risk of kicking the hornets nest, what happened with TH's patent stuff?

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the insight guys. I personally think that the HH are comfortable. Even if they are made in china. But I can understand supporting the cottage vendors. Its nice the personal touch that is added with them.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i think October, but i could be wrong. i just keep checking and am on their mailing list.
    I think the sale was in December and extended to Jan last year. It was also for a cub not a scout model.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast