Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Keep it Simple Stupid!

Let me start off by saying THANK YOU to everyone that posts and responds to posts from new guys like me. Thank You!

I have been doing my research and ordering materials and venturing into my first hammock set up over the past 3 weeks. Well the hammock is finished, for now, and I have started my tarp. I am using the black cat tarp directions, sort of, on this site as my guidance for the tarp project. I like the looks, the design and the functionality of the catenary cut outs for tensioning the sides. Thank you blackbiship351 for the directions.

As I was reading through the directions, came to the section for making the cut outs and, dam, that's enough to cornfuse a guy. Now I am no idiot when it comes to following directions, but these got me. The excel file, A1, a, b, alternate measurements, yada, yada, yada.

Being a KISS practitioner, I did a step back and did some simplification. Now I am sure what I am presenting is not new. In fact I think I remember reading similar methods somewhere on this site. But, for you new guys like me, here goes.

First, I read that you want at least a 60 degree angle on the black cat. Got that. But when I used a scale and layed it out I wanted a bit more coverage. So, using a 1/2"=1' scale, I layed out the tarp on a piece of paper using the finished dimensions of 12' ridge and 8' bottom length. That gave me a 70 degree angle as a result. This is a picture of my layout.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238032816

Using the scale, I measured a 5 1/2' length of the sides. So, I needed a cantenary for the 8' side and the 5 1/2' sides. If I was to use the excel worksheet referenced in the directions, that would required plotting of what seems to be at least thousands of point along a curve. Not simple. What I did was to lay out a strip of butcher paper (I am also a Taxidermist and have a roll of this stuff for use in my shop), but any long paper would work. I marked off the length measurement and a center line. On the center line, using the sag of 1" per foot, I placed a mark of the distance x 1", or 8" for the 8' side. The example in the picture was measured at 1 1/2" per foot just for kicks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033326

Then, using blue tape, I hang this sheet with the length marks up on the wall. Using a level to make sure the edge of the paper is level.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033456

Then, I use a piece of string taped at the zero mark and at the end measurement mark. Let the string sag to the measured sag point on the center line.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033604

Then using a marker, I traced the string and marked the catenary curve.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033678

Next cut out the template.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033743

Then I have another simple tip. Instead of using books to weight down the tarp material, I use tape to secure the material to the floor and put some tention on the material. I also tape the template to the material and then use tailor's chalk to mark the line that will be sewn on. I use the chalk to mark my seam allowance too.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238033890

Another tip, for cutting I use another tool that I use in my taxidermy shop, a scalpel. I use a torch to heat the blade and then make a clean, non fraying cut in the material. Works great.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...1&d=1238034096

The tarps not finished yet, but here is a shot of the cut side material.

I hope this isn't old hat to you long time members. If it is, sorry for the repeat. Just my KISS Method.

Doog
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Looks good, and it looks like it was harder to post all those links than to make the tarp. After a while Cat cuts are not that hard anymore. The real fun comes from roll hemming the entire thing and still keep it taught. I too like the KISS method, keep it up

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Looks very good, make sure to post a photo when it's all finished
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    It's looking great! Going to be huge when finished!!!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Where are the hammock pics?
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    Looks good, and it looks like it was harder to post all those links than to make the tarp. After a while Cat cuts are not that hard anymore. The real fun comes from roll hemming the entire thing and still keep it taught. I too like the KISS method, keep it up

Dwight
    You got that right. How the hell do you just get pictures to show up in the thread. I have yet to figure that out.

Roll hemming an flat feld seams are no bid deal to me. I am been running a dual track feeding device since I was a kid, that would be about 30 plus years now.

I'll get some picts up of the finished goods in a couple of days. I put the hammock up last night and let the kids and wife get in. Now I have 3 more to make. The wife thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. At least now she won't yell at me for spending money on materials.;

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    It's looking great! Going to be huge when finished!!!
    Huge, I wouldn't say that. Maybe it looks big in the pictures???

I have made it based on the Black Cat directions with a 12' ridge. The only adder is the extra material on the bottom sides, I used 70 degrees so that I ended up with an 8' dimension. That added about an extra 18" of coverage on the bottom.

And, I am not concerned about a few extra grams. I am not backpacking. I am getting geared up for motorcycle camping, so extra size and weight is not so big of a deal.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogman4 View Post
    You got that right. How the hell do you just get pictures to show up in the thread. I have yet to figure that out.
    Easiest way it to just upload your pics to the gallery. Once uploaded just copy the "BB Image Code" in the lower left corner, then paste into your posting. If you want them full size, just remove the "_thumb" part at the end of the file name.

Clear as mud.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doogman4 View Post
    Huge, I wouldn't say that. Maybe it looks big in the pictures???
    I use a HH hex that measures 141" at the ridgeline & 84" from tieout to tieout. About 10' wide. Stepping up from the stock asym tarp to this it seems really big. Room for the wife & I to prop up a side, set in a couple camp chairs, & still not get rained on. You will love it!

Images
    Now that's HUGE!
    I am hopping if I need to park my bike under it I can. And if I am ground dwelling, I can just use the tarp as a,,,,well,,,, as a tarp.

Thanks for the tip regarding the gallery. I will give that a shot next time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast