Hammock
    dont have one yet

New and looking for Hammock

Ok here is the deal, dont have a hammock but looking at one (maybe) here are my draw backs

1 size, I am 6'2" and weight 360# so I am no small fry
    2 sleep on stomach

Hammock interests me because I am involved in scouting and the ground is getting hard for this old body

what are your suggestions?
    Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Welcome....

Weight and height isn't really the issue. Hammocks can be made to fit King Kong if need be. The stomach thing is gonna be your problem, but I'm sure someone on here has figured it out. This is the most innovative and creative bunch of folks.

Double layer, 1.9 oz ripstop should do just fine, or two tablecloths sewn together. That way you can place a pad between the layers for warmth.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I'm 6' 3", and I've found that a 10.5' or 11' hammock is definitely nicer for me than the standard length hammock (usually 9.5' or 10'). As far as weight, I'm very much in my good years, so I won't hurt your feelings. However, I don't think your weight should stop you from getting a hammock. If you're into DIY, that might be the best way to go. I would suggest a double-layer hammock with 1.9oz/yd ripstop, or maybe even 2.2oz/yd taffeta. Whoopie slings made from 1/8" Amsteel Blue (2500lb break strength) would be fine, alond with some climbing grade carabiners, and tree straps. For the tree straps, I might suggesting upgrading from the standard 1500lb break strength to 3000lb, just for some extra support. There are some tutorials around the internet for sewing "x box loops" into each end of the straps.

As far as your weight, the biggest concern would be your ability to get in/out of the hammock. Are you able to move around well? In other words, do you believe you have enough core body strength to sit-up without much to push/pull on? If so, you should be fine.

Good luck! I'm sure the folks here can offer more insight than I just did.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome!

I'll try to address your points as best I can, but I'm no expert and there are other hangers in here who will be able to provide more insight, I'm sure.

1. I'm a bigger guy as well, 6'4" and 260, and there are a lot of hammocks out there that are good to 400 lbs +, so that shouldn't be too much of a worry. I can get by in the WBBB 1.1 double, but you'd be better off looking at something like the WBBB XLC 1.7 double or a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro.

2. Stomach sleeping doesn't seem like much of an option for the heavy hangers among us. The best solution for this is a bridge hammock, like a Ridgerunner or Bear Mountain Bridge hammock, but the weight ratings are limited to 250 lbs or so (on account of the strain on the spreader bars I would imagine). You never know though, you might be surprised at how easily you can fall asleep on your back or half on your side in a gathered end hammock. I'm a side/stomach sleeping in a bed but have no problem sleeping through the night on my back or side in a gathered end hammock.

Edit: I'd also recommend looking for a way to "try before you buy"... maybe there is a group hang happening close by where you can pop in and take a test drive of a few different types, get a feel for whether it is for you or not?

Hope this helps some!
    Coffee?

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    As far as stomach sleeping... I'm a stomach sleeper in bed, but I usually sleep on my side or back in a hammock BETTER than on my stomach in bed. I find I generally do not toss and turn in a hammock, thus I don't wake myself up as much.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    P.S. I'm new as well and started hammocking for the exact same reasons as you.

P.S.S. Originally I'm from Pell City, Al. Not too far from you.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    You'll need at least an 11 ft (as opposed to a 10 ft) hammock with two layers of fabric. There are single layer fabric hammocks that could hold you, but I think you wouldn't save much weight that way. You probably want to get one as wide as possible, so you can sleep diagonally to keep the bed as flat as possible to allow you to be on your stomach. At least about 72" wide if possible. Dream Hammocks (http://www.dream-hammock.com/index.html) makes pretty good hammock for your needs, but they are by no means the only makers that could help you.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Try a low end hammock sleeping on your back. Snoring is optional. I suspect there are a lot of us who are side sleepers at home and back sleepers in the hammock.

Depending what have around you can make a test hammock for around $30. 4 yards of sport nylon from JoAnnes (register on line and they often have coupons). Two 12 cargo straps from Harbor Freight or similar and two anchor points in the back yard will let you get a sense of how it feels. From there the sky is the limit. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    dont have one yet

thanks

some very good information, as SM I try to do everything my scouts do, I wanting to get them involved in hammocks, also, but need to find something for me first. I will look into the suggestions but keep the coming.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here are some of my hammocks.........
    Have fun searching for your groove.
    Shug