Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Extra wide hammock

Has anyone made a really wide hammock? I know 60" is the norm with a few of you gram conscious types going more narrow, but I need extra stability and will probably need a top loader. While I haven't totally given up on the idea of a HH, I did dream last night that I was swallowed by an item that looked like a cross between a HH and the plant from Little Shoppe of Horrors. The hammock is locked up just in case...

Wider material is available for making bedspreads, quilts, and sometimes for wedding gowns (woven poly lining) so I could probably do this without a seam. Has anyone tried it? Would it be even harder than a 60" wide model to exit?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Put the 60" wide material down the middle - sew another 12" strip to either side. I doubt you'll notice the seam and 84" should be plenty.

But no, I haven't made one yet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    To experiment maybe you could make a test hammock out of a double or queen size bed sheet just to see if the extra width helps or makes it more difficult to exit. My son had a little difficulty getting out of my test hammock which had the sides whipped a little tight (relatively, 60" is pretty wide for him) so in his final version I made them a little floppy and he had less trouble. Just a thought, good luck with your project!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    If you go 60 inches wide and tie it at the ends you will have a heck of a time getting out of it I would think. It will have a deep pocket for you to get into and out of maybe.

Images
    I have some 60" 1.9 ripstop about 9 ft long. I'm going to try Risk test hammock again and see how that goes. I will try the HH again when I get more strength in the leg. I still cannot walk / waddle in a crouched position. This uses the quads and the quads in my right leg are still partly paralyzed. I can move them in some positions (mainly straight and slightly elevated), but not at all in the crouched position. Pushing up with only the leg leg is really hard - I had to grab the 1" webbing with both hands and pull against the tree to get up yesterday.

Images
    FD I have to usually grab my webbing at times also. I have a wide homemade hammock and found it was more comfortable and able to really lay more flat.

64" material and found if I simply start swinging the hammock and make sure I am at the right height to began with...I simply swing then I sit up in the hammock and on the "up" swing my feet come down and I stand up with no problem. This is why my top loading hammocks are easier for me to get out of ...as long as my netting and tarp are up out of the way to the rear.
    I personally found I must hang higher then my family to get out easier.

If you are always camping with the male dino he can start the swinging for you

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could tie some webbing to the foot support, then run it through the slit and secure it loosely to the ridgeline. When you want to get out, use the webbing like a handle and pull yourself upright, then pull the hammock over your head.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

hammock length

FD
    I think your 9 foot length is marginal. I have always used 10 feet. But then, you are probably shorter than my 5' 10". 60 inch width is ample for me to get almost flat.

If you fold the thing up with the "secret hennessy hammock" technique, you should be able to swing your legs over the side and sit up just like a real bed.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...?t=670&page=11
    several tries may be required to minimize the side height.

Try using a sheet bend knot, rather than whipping, while you are experimenting with folding the ends. It's much faster to make changes.
    http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm
    When you get it how you like it, you can whip it, if you prefer that technique.

I just tried it in my homemade.You would have to experiment to get the height right to minimize knee bend.

Miles of Smiles
    Tom

Images
    I'm 5' 9.5" and quite fluffy (over 200 lbs). I could get pretty much flat in the hammock and could move around inside without nearly flipping in the HH.

I was thinking about making a wider top-load hammock for extra stability - and using the HH fold would be an excellent idea for comfort. The last time I tried a top-loader, my right leg could barely support my weight when it was oh-so-carefully placed and balanced on a firm, flat surface. The instablity of the top-loaders scared me to death because I knew if I fell out I woulfd like get hurt as I couldn't catch myself with the right leg at all.

The leg has gained a lot of strength since then - especially when partially extended. The lower I am squated, the less strength it has because I lose voluntary control of the muscles. In time the nerves may regrow and make this a moot point, but for now I am limited by the remaining paralysis. I need to be able to enter and exit on my own. While the male dino will be there for help in extraordinary situaltions (like rain turned the area under the hammock into a mud slick), I don't want him to have to get up for my potty breaks or get up as early as I normally do. The male dino needs significantly more sleep than I do.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    maybe someone has already suggested this, but sometimes just sitting up & getting my legs hanging down on one side has been a little bit of a challenge for some reason.
    but after i'm sitting up (like in a chair) standing up isn't much of a problem... especially if i have the hammock hung at about the right height.
    so to help getting up into the sitting position maybe you could have two webbing straps attached to the support on the foot end.
    then (after finding the right length) find a way to attach them to the out side edges of the hammock so they can be easily reached when you're ready to get up.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P3250111.JPG
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast