Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I can do cold, witness the -26F night with Shug, I guess we got some good stories out of that one. Snow is no problemo. I can do rain.

What I have trouble with is cold rain. I've walked the edge of hypothermia a few times up near the Canadian border. When you are soaked and its really cold you can't stop to eat or take breaks: immediate chill and stiffening up. By the end of the day exhaustion sets in and you can't generate enough heat.

--Kurt
    Your cold weather rep is very, very secure!

I agree 100% about raining
    I worked outside for 13 yrs and people always wanted to know how I could stand the weather when it was 10*F...
    I always told them that 35*F and raining is the WORST weather you can be out in...so hard to say warm...

Looking forward to meetin you in June Kurt...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

--Kurt
    Yeah ... no problem for you Kurt. Have fun, be vigilant, take pix....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    All the above. Doing several yo-yo's: up to the lake, then down to Bell, back up to car, down the Middle Fork and back. We'll see how far I get in 7 days on the trail.

My first trip to the OT, so I'm exploring & getting a feel for the trail. Figured this is a good central location to branch out from as there are 3 choices of directions to go.

--Kurt
    You'll enjoy that area. Bell offer's some great views and I'm sure they are even better with the foliage not yet in. Looks like you have some good weather from Sunday on to Thursday. I wish I had 7 days to work with!

If you come to the road that leads W-NW into Peter Cave Hollow follow it on down past the ruins of the old homestead till it runs into the hills at the end. There is a quiet little double waterfall (little) there and a nice pool and just a quiet, very nice setting in general. The trail that leads back there is rough and not well traveled but I think the spot is worth the hike.

IM me if you'd like a Google Earth KML with that track on it.

Hammock
    Clark / Claytor
    Tarp
    Neo 12 X 12
    Insulation
    Cheap pad
    I have a few sub-freezing nights out, but I have ZERO nights out with heavy wind/rain. I have a trip planned this coming Tue/Wed night, and stupid as it sounds, I'm actually hoping it will rain (at least a bit) to put my set up through its paces. I will however have both my truck and a cabin near-by to bail out if my set up fails me.

If I get rain, I also plan to test my fire making skills. I haven't done that in heavy rain yet either.
    The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I agree, rain stinks. I've been in it all day hunting, and I'll take snow any day of the week and twice on sunday. The only thing Ithink is worse than rain, is 35 degrees and FOG
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Rain Fly 3x4m
    Images
    The worst part of a windy, rainy, cold *** day is having to pack up your stuff in it. Thats got to be the worst when you realise the rain just won't quite for a minute and the sun just ain't gonna shine on you today, and you ARE gonna get soaked to the bone as soon as you take down that Big Rain Fly...

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarso41 View Post
    The worst part of a windy, rainy, cold *** day is having to pack up your stuff in it. Thats got to be the worst when you realise the rain just won't quite for a minute and the sun just ain't gonna shine on you today, and you ARE gonna get soaked to the bone as soon as you take down that Big Rain Fly...
    You said it brother. I had a trip where I was going to sit out the rain for a day and it was supposed to move out overnight. It started on the evening prior and it came in buckets for quite awhile. I sat through the next day content that it would clear tomorrow. Well, it didn't. Next morning it was still pouring. The whole hill was mush, every dip was filled with a puddle, the air itself was soaking everything and if I stayed put that day again then I was going to be short of food before I reached the car. So, packed it all up, put the poncho on and headed on down. That was not a fun morning.

Hitched a ride back to the car and headed home. I require about a 50-50 split for fair weather at least or I'm not really interested.

P.S. - I feel fine with my call. Setting up in my front yard as a test it was miserable. It was raining slush. Seriously, It would land on you in glops of half-frozen horror. Then it would douse you with a bucket of water and howling wind. I was soaked in seconds just trying to get the tarp strung up as fast as possible. Honestly, that made some of the winter-time storms I have been out in durring hunting season look like child's play.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

TR posted

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Yeah ... no problem for you Kurt. Have fun, be vigilant, take pix....
    Shug
    Brief TR here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8076

Took lots (130) pics and quite a few vids, but just included a few that showed my HH.

--Kurt

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    You'll enjoy that area. Bell offer's some great views and I'm sure they are even better with the foliage not yet in. Looks like you have some good weather from Sunday on to Thursday. I wish I had 7 days to work with!

If you come to the road that leads W-NW into Peter Cave Hollow follow it on down past the ruins of the old homestead till it runs into the hills at the end. There is a quiet little double waterfall (little) there and a nice pool and just a quiet, very nice setting in general. The trail that leads back there is rough and not well traveled but I think the spot is worth the hike.

IM me if you'd like a Google Earth KML with that track on it.
    Crap, didn't see your post until I got back. Hiked right through Peter Cave Hollow, but didn't see what the big fuss was about. Wish I woulda had your track. I'm gonna go back at some point, can you please send me your track file? Thanks!

--Kurt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12