Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammock seat

Hammock seat

I posted this in reply to another post about building a stand for a hammock seat. My reply was a little off this topic and not to be hijacking someones post I thought I'd post this here.

I do a bit of bow hunting and last year I came across this hammock seat and it's the most comfortable and compact set I've found. It weighs around 1# 10 oz and packs down to a small 12-14". It has a telescoping metal pole you place on or near the base of a tree that obviously adds most of the weight. I'm thinking you could sew your own seat and maybe substitute a grommet and use a hiking pole or even a stick found in the woods. I have used it on trees ranging from a few inches to several feet. As long as the tree will support you you're good to go. Here is a somewhat humorous promo video for the seat that will give you some idea of how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7KCy9PiKuQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBWpeTnUr4

These type seats would be easy to sew up as in reality they are just small hammocks. Sewn like a hammock on the top with just a strap threaded through it. The other end has a short strap sewed on each side that has a bolt running through a pole. They are very comfortable and can even be setup on a slope.
    Last edited by Mic; 09-02-2013 at 14:04. Reason: Add link
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Very cool! Gonna hafta tinker with this idea . . .

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I have actually been working on this. It's a double layer made out of M50. I recycled my M50 hammock that blew out on me. I use a trekking pole with it and it has guylines to keep it from swaying around. I liked it but it really squeezed my shoulders so I put a PVC mini spreader at the top and that made it a lot better. I decided to go even further and put one at the bottom as well, and switched the PVC out for a wooden dowel. For some reason now I can't get it comfortable anymore. I keep sliding down in it. Not sure if it's the pole length versus hang height or because of the spreader bar. I still have some tinkering to do but when I'm done it will definitely be something I bring to hangs and on some backpacking trips. It weighs a lot less than the one you referred to as well.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    ...and not to be hijacking someones post I thought I'd post this here....
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    ...I keep sliding down in it. Not sure if it's the pole length versus hang height or because of the spreader bar...
    Unfortunately, I went ahead and hijacked it with this post before I found this new posting.

I talk a bit about sliding down. It seems you have to hang low on the tree to prevent sliding.

Mic...could you post up a photo of the tree end of the pole please? I'm wondering how they rotate around as far as they do in the videos and keep the pole from slipping on the tree. Thanks.

Here's a link to some pics of the store bought seat. It is manufactured very heavy duty which accounts for its' weight. I'm sure a lighter weight version can be made for backpacking or just a get together Hang. They are a little pricey but I think a good investment for what they are intended to be used compared to other seats that are not near as comfortable or versatile. My only problem with this seat is a tendency to fall asleep. As far as sliding down or having to sit low the adjustable pole takes care of this. I can sit high or low but like most things you have to do a little experimenting.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1017899...eat=directlink
    Last edited by Mic; 09-02-2013 at 17:01. Reason: add info

Hammock
    HH DX Asym with 4 season insulation
    Tarp
    Typhoon rain fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    2"X96" webbing
    The extendable unipod used for supporting a rifle and even an extendable walking pole with the handle that unscrews to expose the 1/4" thread to mount a camera would work well as you could put the screw for the camera through a grommet in the seat and then screw the wooden handle back on. That way the seat and pole are separate. You pack the seat and use the walking stick. Great idea, I am going to have to try this now.

Hammock
    TW green hornet
    Tarp
    DD 3x3m
    Insulation
    S.i.m.
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie
    I like that!!!!
    I've got a small hammock that's made in the UK as a chair/gear store but this is a clever idea.
    I think I'm gonna have to experiment......

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Mic: Does the manufacturer seriously expect a plastic buckle to hold the straps around the tree with a person sitting on the chair? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!

SwinginIt's DIY clone seems better in many ways!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    This reminds me of a hammock chair I purchased a month or 2 ago. It makes a camp chair out of a tripod, makes a hammock chair by stringing it between 2 trees and a gear hammock. I did a review here.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78262

After reading this thread I'm sure it can be set up in this manner as well. To the woods...

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Mic: Does the manufacturer seriously expect a plastic buckle to hold the straps around the tree with a person sitting on the chair? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!
    Actually the plastic buckle works fine. I've used it a few years and never had a problem and I weigh 250#. I Googled and found the breaking point of some plastic buckles is in excess of 350# and I don't know the actual stress placed on the buckle strapped around the tree. Just using the buckle alone I've never had a problem.The strap provided is so long you can wrap it around a tree several times which takes the stress off the buckle much like wrapping the rope several times and putting the loose end under the wrap without tying it off to hang a hammock. This seat is actually made for hunters who often are heavy and wearing heavy clothing. With our litigious society most products are over engineered to avoid liability lawsuits. All this being said even if a failure occurs with your back against a tree and the angle you're sitting and being only a foot or so off the ground you're not going to drop straight down but I hope I never have to find out. Much like using any hammock the possibility of a fall is always there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast