WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas

Newbie looking for advice

Just when I thought i had a decent gear list, I started reading about hammock hanging. It seems to me that this may be the way to go on my upcoming thru hike. I am looking for any thoughts on quilts. I am not able at this time to make my own gear so that is out of the question. I decided to go with the Warbonnet Blackbird double layer 1.1 and a Cuban fiber tarp from Hammock Gear.com.

I know by reading hammockforums.net that many people get their quilts from Jacks R Better. I was looking at the mamba from Warbonnet for a top quilt and the three season Yeti for a bottom quilt. Any recommendations will be seriously considered. Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    You cant go wrong with JRB that is for sure. I am partial to Hammock gear products one because they are right here in Ohio and not that the JRB team isnt awesome people, they are, but Adam and Jenny and crew are as well. Both make great products.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I don't think you would regret owning anything from the cottage vendors here.

Having said that, consider your usage, what materials are best and why. Compressability, weight, moisture resistance, all would be things I would think about as part of a thru hike. Ease of suspension is something else I would consider for those days when you are dog tired and can't think straight.

Converse with the providers here. Pick their brains. I think you will find that they will "talk shop" quite freely. Research, research, research. An informed decision is always a better decision. Some folks are loyal to a provider just because. There is nothing wrong with that. If you talk with someone and they are really enthusiastic find out why. That is the stuff that is important. I have noticed that there are folks who are for lack of a better description "cheerleaders" here. That's fine, but specific reasons for preferences will help guide you as you make decisions.

Good luck.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Underground Quilts is also well recommended.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I don't think you would regret owning anything from the cottage vendors here.

Having said that, consider your usage, what materials are best and why. Compressability, weight, moisture resistance, all would be things I would think about as part of a thru hike. Ease of suspension is something else I would consider for those days when you are dog tired and can't think straight.

Converse with the providers here. Pick their brains. I think you will find that they will "talk shop" quite freely. Research, research, research. An informed decision is always a better decision. Some folks are loyal to a provider just because. There is nothing wrong with that. If you talk with someone and they are really enthusiastic find out why. That is the stuff that is important. I have noticed that there are folks who are for lack of a better description "cheerleaders" here. That's fine, but specific reasons for preferences will help guide you as you make decisions.

Good luck.
    Well suspension was going to be my next question. Reading what I have, I see the new craze are "whoopie slings". This appears to be a lighter setup over Straps.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bill View Post
    Well suspension was going to be my next question. Reading what I have, I see the new craze are "whoopie slings". This appears to be a lighter setup over Straps.
    You'll still need tree straps in order to protect the trees. I'm no longer a fan of whoopie slings and this year removed them from all of my hammocks; but yes, they will work for you and they are light. Whoopies are for the hammock portion of the suspension, then you can attach with MHS to the tree straps...and any strong hardwood stick will work for the MHS while you're in the woods. Just remember to hang on the knot, not the stick.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kelty Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bill View Post
    Whoopie slings aren't the new craze, UCRs might be the new craze!

Seriously though, canoebie is referring to the underquilt suspension, not the hammock suspension. There are at least as many ways to hang an UQ as there are to hang a hammock. Have a look at the list of vendors near the bottom of the forum and spend some time browsing.

Also have a peak at these videos by HFs very own Shug on the subject of UQs:
    Hammock How-To Part 2: Underquilts and Bottom Insulation
    Hammock Under-Quilts Re-Visited

Whoopie slings are cool, I run them after all
    The main thing with you hammock suspension is to figure out how to hang with the sag you need for that sweet, flat lay. Whatever system you use doesn't really matter, getting that angle right is what matters IMHO.

Happy Hanging!

• + New Posts