1.9oz ripstop that I made
    Tarp
    Making one soon
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    Strapps & 550 cord

Trying to make sense.

So I'm new to the whole hammock thing, and before I knew it I was in over my head. Is there anyone in the Southern OR. area that I could get a lesson or two from? I mean I understand some of the theories and principals of all this, but actually experiencing something is very different.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    Have you read "the The ultimate hang" yet?
    Check the West forums for hangs near you. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...play.php?f=116

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Welcome to the family !! I would also recommend watching Shugs videos. There are about 10 videos and he goes through everything and it should help you get started if you do not have anyone local. And just ask questions, we love to help out

Here is #1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am sure someone here will speak up in a while that is close to you. As stated earlier, read The Ultimate Hang and watch any and everything Shug puts out. Good luck, you will get it.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Beardly View Post
    So I'm new to the whole hammock thing, and before I knew it I was in over my head. Is there anyone in the Southern OR. area that I could get a lesson or two from? I mean I understand some of the theories and principals of all this, but actually experiencing something is very different.
    Even after watching the instruction video multiple times, it took me an hour to hang my Hennessey the first time. (In my defense, there was a cat helping me.) Sometimes you just have to get hands on and see what happens. Don't hesitate to ask questions, we all have answers and opinions.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    1.9oz ripstop that I made
    Tarp
    Making one soon
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    Strapps & 550 cord
    You know, I really hate asking questions on forums, as a member of other forums it seems that people always come and ask a question that was just dealt with "last week", and I hate to be "that guy". I just can't grasp the whole quilt thing. I'm not doubting that it is better, obviously, since everyone uses them, but I just fail to see why a sleeping bag won't work. Also, how is the quilt used? Is it just draped, loosely under or attached? Why not an insulated hammock? Does the top quilt just hang over head, or is it more like a quilt and you bundle in it?

Sorry for being sounded like such a noob, but sucking at something is the first step to be mediocre.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Then I would say look up Sean Emery or Shug on Youtube. He has a large amount of videos on there that will answer a lot of your questions. They will also make you laugh one or twice.

Here is a link to his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8752777861C2AA8
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    You know, I really hate asking questions on forums, as a member of other forums it seems that people always come and ask a question that was just dealt with "last week", and I hate to be "that guy". I just can't grasp the whole quilt thing. I'm not doubting that it is better, obviously, since everyone uses them, but I just fail to see why a sleeping bag won't work. Also, how is the quilt used? Is it just draped, loosely under or attached? Why not an insulated hammock? Does the top quilt just hang over head, or is it more like a quilt and you bundle in it?

Sorry for being sounded like such a noob, but sucking at something is the first step to be mediocre.
    This forum isn't like most. If you have a question, ask. Someone will pop up with an answer. As mentioned before, check out the book and watch the videos. They will open your eyes to the world of hammocking.

Believe it or not, sometimes noobs bring in new eyes to an old problem and a new way to skin a cat is established.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings

When you lay on the sleeping bag you compress the insulation therefore rendering it useless. That is why when using a sleeping bag while in a tent you still need a pad under you to stay warm.

You are correct that the underquilt will hang below you pulled against the bottom of the hammock. This allows it to remain lofted.

As for the top quilt, you again are correct in that you just snuggle right up into it.

You can start out with a pad. That will get you down to some lower temps, they tend to be a bit frustrating to deal with trying to stay on them. They also make me sweat. Usually when you are down in the lower 70's or so you will need some type of under insulation.

Hope that helps
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

let me help you with this, as i was in the same boat a while back. especially seeing that i had 2 sleeping bags and quilts cost a small child (sometimes)

when you use a sleeping bag, theres 3 main issues (and this is assuming you use the bag as intended, not modified)

1: getting in and out of the d%#n thing. its an effort in futility thats fun to watch
    2: this is IMO the biggest issue, along with #3. the bag, once laid in, flattens out the filling under you and renders it mostly useless. a 20* bag will be 20* on top, but basically non existent under you.
    3: venting. say you use a 20* bag as thats what you have, and you figured out how to get in the blasted thing. well what happens when you get too hot? no way to let some of the heat out without getting out of it really, even unzipping it will compromise the insulative value of it.

a quilt can be attached in several ways, but none (yet) are permanent. normally, its strung up to the hammock suspension and it hangs under you in various distances from you depending on venting, but for practical use the "inside" of the quilt should be touching the hammock body as much as possible. venting is achieved by loosening the appropriate end a bit to let some heat out (like sticking your feet out of the comforter at home)

a built in hammock is a difficult "simple" idea. not all users lay in the same way, or are built the same. or, for simplicity's sake, youd have to have an insulated hammock for every temp range you hang in (winter, summer etc)

top quilts are awesome, and resemble a mummy style sleeping back without a hood (there are some options that allow you to make a "hood" depending, but were talking generalities here). some can be laid flat, like a blanket and others have a compartment for your feet (others can do both). all TQ's lay directly on top of you and ideally can slightly wrap around your sides to overlap the UG coverage some.

hope that helps a bit!
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast