Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sawgrassbrothers View Post
    When im hammock camping i use a sleeping bag as a top quilt. sometimes its really frustrating cause it slides all over the place and zipping up in it can be uncomfortable in the hammock sometimes. Im planning on getting a top quilt soon but please share your thoughts on sleeping bags in hammock camping and any tips and tricks you know for all us noobs out there -Matt
    Here is one that will not annoy you Matt, the Exped DreamWalker 650. It comes in a medium or large version. Having your feet sticking out of the bag makes for an easy entry of the hammock while in your sleeping bag. And then add these Down Sleeves from Jack's "R" Better
    Though when not in exceptional cold weather I prefer an UQ.

Last edited by BlazeAway; 11-29-2013 at 09:04.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It's a loaded question with too many variables. Under ideal conditions we would all have an unlimited budget with infinite storage so we could all have the best piece of equipment for any given trip. Reality seems to fall far short of that for most of us. Bags work. So do quilts. We use what we have available at the time.

What nothermark said

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Very tough decision. I was very close to getting a 40° Burrow top quilt today; had it in my cart, everything filled out but just couldn't hit that last button. I'm too closely attached to my sleeping bag and love being 100% enclosed when the temps drop.

A hat, balaclava, and everything else can't replace the thick down hood zipped around my shoulders and head. I'm carrying an extra pound but it's worth it to me. Maybe I'll get a TQ some day, but continuing to work the sleeping bag for now.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Very tough decision. I was very close to getting a 40° Burrow top quilt today; had it in my cart, everything filled out but just couldn't hit that last button. I'm too closely attached to my sleeping bag and love being 100% enclosed when the temps drop.

A hat, balaclava, and everything else can't replace the thick down hood zipped around my shoulders and head. I'm carrying an extra pound but it's worth it to me. Maybe I'll get a TQ some day, but continuing to work the sleeping bag for now.
    I fully agree, though a separate hood can come quite close, especially with a TQ which will cinch up around my neck. Mind you, I use TQs a plenty, but it is hard to beat the draft proof experience of a zipped up mummy bag. Drafts, that is the challenge to be overcome with a TQ. Plus, does any one else find the left shoulder to be a constant battle for TQ tuck when laying diagonal with feet right, or vice versa? Seems a constant battle for me, though much less so in my JRB Bridges. Also speaking of hoods and such, see my next response.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Here is one that will not annoy you Matt, the Exped DreamWalker 650. It comes in a medium or large version. Having your feet sticking out of the bag makes for an easy entry of the hammock while in your sleeping bag. And then add these Down Sleeves from Jack's "R" Better
    Though when not in exceptional cold weather I prefer an UQ.

I have long dreamed(pun intended) of trying one of those on a trip. But, I find this to be also be great for fighting drafts:

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I still use sleeping bag's for top quilts.I have one of the walmart Ozark trail down bags, which is a good 40 degree bag,and I just got a new Kelty cosmic 21 degree down bag for colder temps.. I just zip it up to about my knees stick my feet in and wrap it around me. What I like about sleeping bag's is if it gets colder than I planned for I can always get down in it for a little more warmth.

Hammock
    Black bird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    UgqFJ Hg incubator
    Suspension
    Wich hammock?,lol
    Im new too hammock camping and on a buget.
    I use a diy underquilt (cut up and stitched up old mummy bag).rated 40.
    im really impressed, quite a diference in comfort with just the diy uq.
    Had it on the other night, down to 24 w/ a -20 slumber jack sleeping bag as a TQ and i was good to go. not" toasty" but just warm enough to sleep comfortable.

TQ= Sleeping bags of various temp ratings.
    The -20 my dedicated winter bag or TQ.
    I like sleeping bags as top quilts, lots of wiggle room.

But all my gear is old,heavy,and bulky.

WICH IS OK, b caus most of my hammock camping is within the wilds of my backyard!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I fully agree, though a separate hood can come quite close, especially with a TQ which will cinch up around my neck. Mind you, I use TQs a plenty, but it is hard to beat the draft proof experience of a zipped up mummy bag. Drafts, that is the challenge to be overcome with a TQ. Plus, does any one else find the left shoulder to be a constant battle for TQ tuck when laying diagonal with feet right, or vice versa? Seems a constant battle for me, though much less so in my JRB Bridges. Also speaking of hoods and such, see my next response.

I have long dreamed(pun intended) of trying one of those on a trip. But, I find this to be also be great for fighting drafts:
    The colder the weather the more important it becomes to avoid drafts.
    Below is my line of defense through the year, though I have never gone all the way.

1) 40*UQ Inqubator + 40*TQ Burrow and 2QZQ Under Quilt Protector.

2) 20*UQ Inqubator + 20*TQ Burrow and WB T Sock.

3) Speer PolarPod (12 oz overstuffed) + 40*UQ Incubator + 20*TQ Burrow and WB T Sock.

4) Speer PolarPod (12 oz overstuffed) + 40*UQ Inqubator + Exped DreamWalker 650L and WB T Sock.

5) Speer PolarPod (12 oz overstuffed) + 40*UQ Inqubator + Exped DreamWalker 650L + 40*TQ Burrow and WB T Sock.

6) Speer PolarPod (12 oz overstuffed) + 40* UQ Incubator + Exped DreamWalker 650L + 20*TQ Burrow and WB T Sock.

7) Speer PolarPod (12 oz overstuffed) + 40* UQ Inqubator + Exped DreamWalker 650L + 0*TQ Burrow and WB T Sock.

Best of wishes,
    Blaze

People have reasons for keeping sleeping bags as top quilts around. Personally I have many times debated over just ditching the extra weight for a top quilt but have not done this. I personally have kept the sleeping bag as a top quilt because if I have to go to ground I have the multi purpose of using it as a sleeping bag. I have used many different sleeping setups in the past some work in hammocks better than others and some work better on ground. I prefer security in having options to gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I use a sleeping bag. It works but is a little tricky at times. The biggest reason I don't care for it, is the weight and bulk in my pack. I could handle the weight, but the bag takes up almost 1/2 my pack. That alone, has me moving to a down topquilt. I'm still debating to buy a HG 40* or DIY my own. I have a Pheonix UQ and it's probably my favorite piece of gear. Adam does top notch work!
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    quilt! all day any day!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast