Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Took a little fiddiling but once I tuned my hammock it became second nature. I'm talking of course of my Tablecloth that I sleep in every night. When I go camping and the weather is nice and the bugs are low I just take it off the wall suspension and put whoopie slings on it. Straps to the trees, whoopies to the straps, make the sag look about 30 degrees and Viola! same same. I cut my compression pole on my Turtledog stand to be the same length and to sit the same height as the hooks in my bedroom walls, I just unclip from the walls and hook on there. If the weather is bad or the bugs are everywhere I just use my Warbonnet BlackBird, it fits in the same holes.

It sounds like you're getting on the right track but after finding hammocks, finding this site, and reading for about 2 weeks and since then, I bought first Spears Hammock book and then The Ultimate Hang by are own hammock forum member Dejehoa. You can buy that off Amazon in digital form and read it on your computer RIGHT NOW! and ALL your answers are in there with quite a few more suggestions. Attack one problem at a time and they'll seem less insurmountable.

that is until you start making alcohol stoves out of cola cans. Oh are we gonna lose you then!

By the way, my first delving back into hammocking hammock was made off of a Youtube videos suggestion of using a queen size bedsheet, knotted and roped to the walls. The guy in the video must ahve been just about 5 foot tall. It was comfortablish, but at 6 2 my feet and head both stuck out the top n bottom. It was enough encouragement for me to go out and buy 4 yards of Ripstop and make a correct length hammock. That was good enough for me to, after a year in the same hammock, buy a wider Tablecloth of the same length. I've got two more blanks do in today as a matter of fact, they'll make 3 and 4. The first one has a little damage on it but I used it two weeks ago when we went on vacation. Just treat em like bedsheets though and switch the color around once in a while.

There are 7ish videos in the beginners guide. They are, for most of us, entertaining and educational. I have heard a couple people complain, humor is not universal. Bet they don't like bluegrass neither, fools.

Well I'm rambling for no good reason other then to say relax, breath and read a little more. It's probably just something simple we've overlooked.

10 actually. Some folks just don't appreciate free)))))) I did take liberty to have some fun other-wise I could/would have never done them. Spent a couple of months putting those together. Oh...the torture.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
    "Just trust us".. I do!. Yes, I watched the hennessy videos with the figure 8 lashing as he calls it. Easyish but there is always a better way, no?

I like your explanation though, very clear and methodical, thanks.

Hey,, shug, I watched your vid with the blackbird and that material looked paper thin, I could see right through it.

One more thing....I like the pics you guys post of yourselves in your hammocks showing just your legs.....lots of hairy man legs! Lol......its actually pretty cute.....
    There is always an easier way, but like others have said about walking before running, take it in progression. I think you should use the standard kit you have and get it hanging so you are comfortable. This will hugely inspire your confidence to get it dialed in. Once you have that notch in your belt, then you certainly will know what parts of your setup process or kit are not quite ideal for your preferences. At that time you can begin to expand your knowledge of other suspension systems to better suit your needs.

I'm woefully new. I have the stock suspensions on my girls Hennessey Scouts and have begun teaching them how to do the figure eight lashing. I think for them I'll migrate to something more simple for them, such as some sort of carabineer on their shortened stock suspension rope that connects to a buckle and strap system. There are whoopie slings on my other hammocks, easier than the figure eight lashing, and can fit to just about any other tree connection device. So many variables. Get the one you have down solid, then read/learn/ask about others.

Hairy man legs cute? I guess that is all a matter of perspective! Best of luck.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Arghhh.......I am getting frustrated with this hammock thing! What a steep learning curve. My tent is so easy in comparison. Last time I rigged up the system, I had a nice tight ridge line with the para cord and now,arghhh... I am a small person,why do I feel " scrunched up" in the hammock? And it's the one for "bigger" guys.
    Ridgeline shouldn't be very tight. The straps should be hangin at 30 degrees. To get that make a "pistol" or L with your forefinger and thumb. Thumb should be parallel to tree, forefinger sticking out. Roughly that's a 30 degree hang.

Yes, I am laying on an angle. And now I need a pad extender to actually sleep in now,since its gotten cool out. Another 50 bucks. I have to pay for shipping and then currency conversion.

Yes, I am ranting now.....just let me go on for a little bit more....

I don't really have to much problem setting up the hammock itself using rappelling rings and carabiners but man, they are heavy! But...dead simple. But I need a quick and simple way to knot/ tie whatever, my para cord ridge line.
    Paracord not ideal for a ridgeline, as it stretches.

I do realize that the more I practice the quicker and simpler it will be,but it's so frustrating now, I just want to throw my hands up and walk away. To my tent.....

I really didn't realize what I was getting myself into regarding weight and bulk and stuff to pack on my motorcycle regarding hammocking. I wanted to try it because I find more often than not, I am not sleeping as well in my tent.

I even bought a BA astro pad with the pillow top and the matching pillow. I even sacrificed size weight and bulk for that pad and...meh.....

Quick, talk me out of jumping.......!!!!
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Images
    Yep, what everyone already said about getting to a hang with experienced folks and in the meantime watching Shug's videos, which you are already starting to do.

I'd call HH and find out exactly what hammock I purchased from them, or find tour receipts.

But as has been pointed out, if you have an HH, why do you have a paracord ridgeline? Didn't your HH already have a factory designed low stretch ridgeline? If so, use that, pull it "moderately tight, and hop in. If it is super tight (guitar string) after you are in, you might want to experiment with loosening it up a tad. IOW, don't pull the suspension so tight when you hang it.

If you are all scrunched up in the hammock, it may well be because you are sliding towards the foot of the hammock. If so, the cure is to hang the foot end from a few inches to a lot of inches higher than than the head, and/or having the foot end closer to the tree.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If you got "the one for big guys" and it came with a free hex tarp, it's probably the Explorer model (either the Explorer Deluxe or Explorer Ultralight; the Deluxe is made out of a ripstop fabric while the Ultralight is a tan-ish taffeta that doesn't have a ripstop grid in the weave).

I've used that particular model before. Items that may help address your stated issues (note the emphasis there):

1.) Hang your foot end ~4" to 12" (~10 cm to 30 cm) higher than the head end. I know the bag insists that hanging the hammock level is better, but that's not how most folks have found comfort with these. Your legs are generally denser than your torso, so hanging them higher is desirable to avoid sliding into the foot end of the hammock, leading to a "crunched up" feeling in the morning.

2.) Hang the hammock loose enough that, when you get into the hammock, you can turn the ridgeline 90* to 180*. This ensures that the hammock is tight enough to avoid too much floppiness (which causes the netting to drag on your face) but not so tight as to cause shoulder squeeze (making for a cramped feeling).

3.) Check your hammock's ridgeline. If it appears to be made out of the same material as the stock suspension lines, you should be good to go. If it truly is made out of paracord, you're going to want to replace it with something non-stretch (the whole point of the ridgeline is that it stays the same length from hang to hang) like Zing-It, Lash-It, Tech Line, Dynaglide, or Amsteel (all different brand names and diameters of UHMWPE line, which offers the best strength-to-weight ratio and non-stretch properties that we've found so far).

4.) Are you attaching your hex tarp directly to the hammock Prusik clips (the little mitten hooks on the suspension lines that slide up and down on the line via stopper knots)? If so, stop. Either tie off to the trees directly or use a continuous ridge line (CRL) to avoid a droopy tarp and slightly impaired hang.

I hope that all of this helps some, and I would be more than happy to answer individual questions about these points or any others that you might have regarding that hammock. I used an Hennessy with an hex tarp for the first year and an half or so of my hammocking experience. It's very comfortable and tolerably lightweight, but it does require a bit of a learning curve to use properly--just like every other piece of gear out there.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i always tell people to not over think it ... i find most do,they make it harder than it really is
    people worry about" this angle" and" that knot "way too much if you ask me
    hang it, if it feels good,great... don't worry about proper angles it will drive you mad

use proper lines and gear and just have fun with it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Arghhh.......I am getting frustrated with this hammock thing!

I don't really have to much problem setting up the hammock itself using rappelling rings and carabiners but man, they are heavy! But...dead simple. But I need a quick and simple way to knot/ tie whatever, my para cord ridge line.

I do realize that the more I practice the quicker and simpler it will be,but it's so frustrating now, I just want to throw my hands up and walk away. To my tent.....
    first... Go to
    http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/h...uspension.html

and buy an adjustable dynaglide ridge line. It won't stretch, and you can change its length easily.

While you're at it, you might think about replacing the suspension ropes and heavy metal rigging with whoopie slings and little metal toggles.

here's what I did -
    (warning - this is NOT stephen speilberg's work. I made this for some potential hangers in our newbie group)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_LAfbxDe6I

I use small aluminum tubes now, about four inches long and 3/4" diameter, instead of the poles, because I kept wanting my poles after camp was set up.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    There's a lot of good information here. And it kind of sucks for you at this moment that we Canadians don't tend to DO group hangs, but again, it seems you have a couple of offers for help - lucky you!

I'm still in research mode, so I'm trying to sift through the knowledge and various ways to do things with each piece of kit, as I choose each piece of kit. One at a time. And even doing this, I find myself a bit overwhelmed, so I totally understand what you must be going through. There's a lot of information on these pages! Maybe too much.

I have already thoroughly studied and chosen my hammock and hammock suspension (I'm on tarps tight now), and the one thing that stood out in your description is.... way too complicated! I agree with others; simple, so you can breathe; simple so adjustments are one thing or the other, no more. So heed their advice and go back to your stock Hennessy suspension and gain confidence with it first. Get those few knots down pat.

I get that you're an accomplished tent camper, so am I, but I think this is like starting a new yet similar sport and using a whole new set of muscles. You need to ease your way in.

Good luck with it all! I'm sure you'll find your hang, and it will be a dream once you get there!

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    As for amsteel, try looking for the lightweight lines the boaters use. Might be called Spectra or Dyneema. Marine Supply stores should carry it or be able to get it.
    Wicked strong. 1/8th inch line has 2300 lb / 1000Kg strength.

My gear set up is far smaller than when I was tent camping. I'm 6'5" tall and those small lightweight backpacking tents were too cramped. Add in a fused ankle and bad knees and getting up and down was just miserable.
    None of those problem with the hammock/tarp setup. On Scout camping trips, I'm set up and end up with more headroom and floor space than most all the other adults on the event.
    Here is some more info on the various lines. You should be able to find similar stuff up there in Canada I would think.
    Good luck.
    Various Dynema products etc:
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/rope-cor...i-purpose.html

Samson Rope Amsteel Blue, Foot
    Quick Overview
    AmSteel-Blue is a torque-free 12-strand single braid that yields the maximum in strength-to-weight ratio and, size for size, is the same strength as steel - yet it floats. AmSteel-Blue outlasts wire 3:1, making it an excellent wire rope replacement. It has extremely low stretch and superior flex fatigue and wear resistance. Samthane coating enhances that already high abrasion and cut resistance. Sold by the foot.
    •Fiber: 12-Strand single-braid construction of 100% Dyneema SK-75 fiber with Samthane coating.
    •Standard Color: blue (also available by special order in red, green, orange, and silver/gray)
    •Class 2 12-Strand splice
    •Size for size, the same strength as steel
    •Extremely low stretch
    •Lightweight
    •Floats
    •Superior wear and flex fatigue
    •Torque free
    •UV stabilized
    •Easily spliced
    •Wire replacement
    •Durable-outlasts wire
    •Similar elastic elongation to wire rope

Here in the US, Amsteel is made by Samson Rope.
    http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Prod...?ProductID=872
    DKPerdue

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    You are welcome to drop in here...I have now 3 different suspensions you can check out. Warbonnet webbing and buckles, woopies and amsteel ucrs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast