Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Temperature ratings and other newbie questions

Hi all,

I'm brand new to hanging, just bought a WBBB XLC. I currently have a north face 20* bag, and a fleece blanket (no pad at the moment)

As I live in Texas, the only thing I have had to use for warmth is my fleece on a 75* night. As it gets down closer to 40-50* I expect to be able to just use my sleeping bag and be warm enough, even without a pad - does this sound correct?

Also, if I were to buy a 20* full length UQ but use it with just a sheet, instead of with a top quilt/sleeping bag, what kind of temperatures should I expect to be comfortable to?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by nokry56; 09-05-2013 at 09:39. Reason: Typos

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nokry56 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm brand new to hanging, just bought a WBBB XLC. I currently have a north face 20* bag, and a fleece blanket (no pad at the moment)

As I live in Texas, the only thing I have had to use for warmth is my fleece on a 75* night. As it gets down closer to 40-50* I expect to be able to just use my sleeping bag and be warm enough, even without a bad - does this sound correct?

Also, if I were to buy a 20* full length UQ but use it with just a sheet, instead of with a top quilt, what kind of temperatures should I expect to be comfortable to?

Thanks in advance.
    You'll need something under you in the hammock at 40-50º....a pad will do ya'.
    With a 20º UQ and just a sheet you may be just fine in warmer temps but if it gets cold you'll chill on top.
    Here is some UQ and TQ/Sleeping Bag/Pad intel.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks Shug.

I've actually already watched all of your videos, definitely a great help for new hangers.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Actually it depends more on you. I know most around here and myself included need something under them to protect them when it is under 70*. My boyscouts my son included have gotten in the 40's without anything under them. Now granted my son is 15 and active but he only sleeps with a synthetic sleeping bag rated to 20* then he uses a Kelty heavy synthetic 0* with reflectix down to about 20* before he starts getting colder. So try it out but be close to home or have back up close so if you need during the night it will be close at hand.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    So try it out but be close to home or have back up close so if you need during the night it will be close at hand.
    This is some of the best advice you can get. Test it out from the safety of the backyard, or within walking distance of your car that's got additional gear in case you get too cold in the middle of the night.

Once you've found what works for you and you're comfortable enough with the solution to work in the conditions you'll face, you'll be ready to hit the trail away from 'backup', knowing that what you've got in your pack is what you'll need to do the job.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    FLRider's First Rule of Gear Testing: Do it where you can bail easily if things go sideways.

Also, figure that you need a ~10* buffer for the weatherman being wrong, exhaustion due to long days on trail, high winds, precipitation, dehydration, etc...pretty much any adverse condition that may not have applied during testing.

As to temperature ratings, I'd recommend for most folks having something underneath you below ~70* or so (personally, I'm good to ~60*, but I'm also an human furnace). Be it a pad or an underquilt, you'll most likely be thankful for it (and note that you can turn that fleece into an underquilt fairly easily with a little sewing; it'll be heavy and bulky, but it should work to at least the 50s).

As to the 20* UQ with a sheet...well, that's a little more problematic. I'd say you might get into the high 50s or so, but that's a WAG (Wild *** Guess). Testing would definitely be in order. But, remember, you can always use your sleeping bag as a top quilt until you get the funds together for a true top quilt (assuming that weight and bulk are worth that money for you; you could go on using the bag indefinitely if they're not).

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Thanks all - all the advice is extremely helpful.

I went ahead and purchased a pad (since I'm regularly in areas without trees) and will use that along with my 20* bag for now. Eventually I'll buy a good UQ & TQ.

I'll make sure to do some testing while car camping as to what I need insulation wise before I set out on the trail.

Thanks again all!

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Another suggestion is when you have a chance find a local group hang and attend. This will give a chance to check out everyone else's gear so that you might have a more informed decision when it comes time for you to purchase more gear.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 0* GDD
    Suspension
    biner strap rings
    I tried to sleep without any bottom insulation on a 55* night and ended up be fairly uncomfortable... Until I figure out how to lay on my fleece jacket. That ended up being enough to get me through to morning.

I've also slept on a 1/4" CCF pad. It ended up being very sweaty.

I didn't notice the sweaty feeling when I used my thermarest... But that was in the deep of winter with overnight lows near 0* (and a sleeping bag UQ setup too).

Matt

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    Another suggestion is when you have a chance find a local group hang and attend. This will give a chance to check out everyone else's gear so that you might have a more informed decision when it comes time for you to purchase more gear.
    Yep.

And we have one going on next weekend on the Lone Star Hiking Trail near Magnolia:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=78122

Come on out and hang with us, or just to take a look around and get something to eat Friday.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast