Tarp
    Any, keep you dry
    Insulation
    DIY IX + down UQs.
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Your fav gathered end method.

Hi there everyone.

I have been making hammocks and modding one of mine for a while now, I have researched more then you would believe. So this thread isn't for people to send me links to different threads and so on. I am creating this thread for people to discuss whipping/gathering methods. I have done some of the main ones, and have done a lot of variations, I just want to go more in depth on what people think works best for them. So here is a list of some of the main ones.

:Jeffs W whipping - Create a W and slowly bunch up like an accordion. Some people like to pull the corners of the hammock tight just to keep the edges tight when laying in hammock.

IY Hennessy - Create a W, lay flat on ground with edges in center and roll(fold) both sides in towards the center.

:Hennessy patent page - Same as DIY, but each fold is folded to the center not rolled towards. Fold it in 3 times, creating 16 layers per side (32 once bunched)

: Blackbird - Chord through channel, looping below channel material multiple times and tied creating a whipped ball end.

:Simple channel - a continuous loop is slipped in each channel feeding the loop through its self (larks head) gathering the material as it pulls. Commonly used by ENO, Grand Trunk... etc.

So they are the main ones that I know of with various modifications, I have tried the DIY Hennessy but not centered, so one side has more roles then the other, creating a very asymmetric shape. It worked well for smaller people, but not great for me.

The DIY Hennessy I try to roll each roll about one inch widths, giving me about 8 rolls per side(16 per end). I just rolled one the other night and it is very very tight. Any suggestions?

So let me know what you guys think, especially if you have found any winners when it comes to whipping. Thanks guys.

Ghillieshot.

I started whipping mine from a method I learned in the DIY HH Clone thread. Both of mine are DIY HH Clones with Knotty Mods. I do 5 rolls ( folds ) per side to the middle, fold both rolls together then use 550 cord to whip the end with my suspension larks headed over the whip .

View from the top of the whip

View from the end of the whip ( 5 folds on each side )

My thumb sitting in the middle fold of the whip ( top of hammock )

I hope that helps

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Nothing but the Blackbird method using para cord for me. Every method has it's pros and cons, but the BB method has worked every time for me and is sooooo simple.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    The "blackbird" method above. I really like the simplicity and it don't have to fiddle with the whipping to get the lay right. It just works for me. Second would be the HH whipping. That hammock is more comfortable to me than the WBBB, but my DIY with WB whipping beats them both. Weird right? Well I like the longer hammocks, I bet the WBBB XLC would hit the spot too.

Hammock
    DIY hammy
    Tarp
    prezidential suite
    Insulation
    diy underquilt
    Suspension
    straps n buckles
    great pics. i was confused on roll/fold/w.
    this makes sense.
    guna try more whipping methods til i get it right.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    When you guys use the Blackbird method do you just sew a channel strait across the end (perpendicular to the long sides), or do you give it a curve to put the sides of the hammock under a little more tension?

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I will curve it. On my last hammock I experimented with just cutting triangles off the end. I cut a 9" x 3" triangle from each end and it worked out well. This was on a 67" wide x ~10.5" long hammock. I might try reducing the 9" dimension some next time. It was an arbitrary number. (the 9" dimension goes long the "short" edge)

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    When getting started a couple of years ago I played with all of them and even invented some myself. Even tried different folds on opposite ends. Ended up with a pleated fold which I now use on my hiker. The pleats are 2" and just start at one edge and pleat across the width. On my hommock I use a channel and Redoleary's mini spreader bar at 6" for the bar
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Images
    I have mainly been using the continuous loop through end channel, which works for me.

The warbonnet method sounds interesting can someone explain that one a bit more for me - I ain't that bright

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    This is what I use: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15205 I think that is the Warbonnet method; sombody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast