Question Shortening a Tablecloth Hammock?

Hi all,

In the process of making my first DIY tablecloth hammock, and I accidentally ordered a tablecloth that was too long!

I'm planning on hanging this indoors for now, and I already have eye hooks at 56" for a smaller hammock, I'd like to reuse the same eye hooks if possible.

So the tablecloth I got was the 90x156 crinkle taffeta from tableclothsfactory.

I have some amsteel to whip it with, and whoopies for suspension.

What is the best way to shorten it?

My walls are 11' apart, and the hooks are 56" high.

From the hammock calculator, it looks like things would be better with a 108" ridgeline, which works out to a 12' length instead of the current 13'.

So could I just knot the tablecloth 6" in at each side? How would that effect the whipping procedure? (was going to accordion fold, then amsteel around it a few times).

Thanks for the help, and sorry about the newbie question

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Nothing wrong with going with a knot. In fact, the knot can replace the whipping. You'll find examples of that style here. Simply gather it as you would whip it and then tie it into an overhand knot.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

I like the amsteel whipping a bit more, seems more secure (though that could just be in my mind).

Is the knot even necessary? I was thinking, couldn't I just put the amsteel further down so that the whipping that sticks out the end is longer than normal?

That would shorten the overall length right, because the suspension's larkshead is hung from the amsteel whipping?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Either way works. They are equally as secure. The overhand knot is just simple and uses more fabric, thus shortening your hammock. Moving the whipping down yields the same result since as you have noted, the suspension is larkshead knotted to the hammock body below the whipping or overhand knot if you went that way.

The draw back of the overhand knot is that it is bulky and if you decide you want to lengthen your hammock in the future, it could be more difficult to untie a knot tightened down by your weight in the hammock than to cut the whipping line.

The whipping is secure because of the type of knot. It is not more secure simply because of the amsteel. I have a hammock made on a whim from some salvage fabric with the ends whipped with yarn. I built it over 5 years ago and it still works fine.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Good to know. I do intend to use the hammock out doors eventually (moving soon, hoping to get near a place where I can hang in the backyard).

So with that in mind, I definitely don't want anything permanent. The amsteel also appeals to me more aesthetically as well.

Thanks for the help!

Went great, thanks for the help. I'm sleepin' like a baby tonight!

• + New Posts