Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I mean, you had so many criticisms that actually affect the use of the hammock, did you REALLY need to include trivial crap like this? Honestly, it sounds like you're just looking for things to nitpick at this point. The color of the stretch cord and the whipping looking "unrefined"???? That's just silly.

You made some good points about why the blackbird doesn't seem like the right hammock for you, why trivialize those points with this goofiness?
    Well, I just laid out all the things I could think of, off of the top of my head.

If I buy something for $170 and I then have to go out and do a bunch of mods and replacements, I think I have a right to have a few complaints. It really gets to be a hassle to find all this stuff.

Is the Blackbird a commercial product, or is it a DIY product? I'm not a MYOG or DIY person, I like simplicity. And how many times do I have to experiment to get it dialed in? My arm and shoulder are still sore tonight, and it's been some time since I was in the hammock.

Wasn't there a thread about a Blackbird cult a while back? When I see everyone incapable of finding any faults it makes me wonder. I guess I'm just goofy and stupid though.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Honestly, I think some of you have been a bit hard on coldspring.
    I don't own a BB but I am very impressed with the design and with the quality of work by warbonnetguy. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. I understand that some of you are very protective of your BB's (who wouldn't be? it looks awesome!), but the nature of this thread was to discuss ways of improvements. Coldspring did nothing other than that.

I have almost purchased a BB so many times, but I can't get past the idea that I want to make most if not all of my own gear. My DIY skills aren't there yet, but in time they will be. I'm a proud member here on HF and I like the fact that we share ideas for improvement. Some things work for some, some things work for most, but nothing will work for all.

For example: I know a couple of people that think it's weird to sleep in a hammock and a few more that won't even TRY one out.

To each their own, hike your own hike, and your mileage may vary. Hammock or tent, at least you're in the woods.

And to keep this post somewhat on topic... I too would like to see a black 1.7 BB. I think I would own one already if it was offered.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thank you Coldspring for you inputs. This thread was design for inputs for changes or additions that BB owners would like to see done. Your inputs were helpful to what I was looking for. I can see where others may have thought that you were getting nit picky but I asked the question and you replied. Thank you very much.

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    like cold spring said it would be nice to have netting above the zipper on the left side it would give more "sideview" myabe even just a little window or something also would help with summer heat .

living here in SC now i have come to respect how hot it gets here in the swamps and i find myself not just needing a winter quilt and summer quilt but also a hammock for each extreme. Just making a BB with more netting maybe on the side and over the foot box would really ventilate when it is 85 degrees at night with 100% humidity.

Really though this type of thread probably helps brandon tons he gets free R&D for his hammock company so the more picky we are the more we help him out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    The zipper pulls are just too small, and really need an attached string.
    Easily fixed by adding glowpulls.

I don't like the material they are made from, it is too slick, it does sag a lot, and it seems cold to the touch.
    Both of mine are custom fabric. As long as you talk to him ahead of time, and can find fabric that meets the required width, Brandon will make it in your own fabric.

I wish there was an option to have netting above the zipper, instead of more fabric, and also on the top part of the footbox. It blocks a lot of wind, but if I use it this summer I am going to roast from not having a breeze in the heat and humidity. You can't see out of it either.
    I know what you mean about the fabric panel between the zipper and the bugnet. You feel blind to the right or left looking at the fabric panel while laying in the hammock. Not a terrible thing, but could be improved in just the way you suggested. That is actually a very good idea, and would make an excellent mod! Or even to make the fabric panel a zip-off or dropdown panel, to reveal a bugnet mesh! I had planned on doing that for a permanent zip-off topcover, but it makes even more sense to do it here for summer breathability and for the ability to see! That would be TOO COOL!. It would add weight, and some gram weenies may not like that But I really, really like that idea. Maybe even just add a couple of small 1/2 length zip-off fabric panels, with a non-zipoff bugnet backing. Like small windows.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Wasn't there a thread about a Blackbird cult a while back? When I see everyone incapable of finding any faults it makes me wonder. I guess I'm just goofy and stupid though.
    We are all goofy and stupid, according to some that refuse to look at alternative options, and only see and understand their narrow view of life.

I don't think anyone meant to come down hard on you - they are just protective of one of our own - a great person, and a great product. The Blackbird Cult. Can it be improved? Absolutely. And your comments were constructive observations from your point of view, which is the context of this thread - not meant to just be critical. I love the idea of the bugnet panel - brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    I don't own a BB but I am very impressed with the design and with the quality of work by warbonnetguy. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. I understand that some of you are very protective of your BB's (who wouldn't be? it looks awesome!), but the nature of this thread was to discuss ways of improvements. Coldspring did nothing other than that.
    Agreed, wholeheartedly. Not everyone is happy with their out-of-the-box equipment, and not everyone is a DIY-er that enjoys making mods on their own. I like making mods, but would also like some things to be options that you could choose so I wouldn't have to make the mods, even if it meant raising the price a little for the different options.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Thank you Coldspring for you inputs. This thread was design for inputs for changes or additions that BB owners would like to see done. Your inputs were helpful to what I was looking for. I can see where others may have thought that you were getting nit picky but I asked the question and you replied. Thank you very much.
    His comments were very helpful to me, as well. I think Brandon can get some good fodder from this thread.

Oh, yes - The BB should be offered in Black in whatever weight. It is the BlackBird, after all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    like cold spring said it would be nice to have netting above the zipper on the left side it would give more "sideview" myabe even just a little window or something also would help with summer heat .

living here in SC now i have come to respect how hot it gets here in the swamps and i find myself not just needing a winter quilt and summer quilt but also a hammock for each extreme. Just making a BB with more netting maybe on the side and over the foot box would really ventilate when it is 85 degrees at night with 100% humidity.

Really though this type of thread probably helps brandon tons he gets free R&D for his hammock company so the more picky we are the more we help him out.
    Did you mean on the "right" side? EDIT: (Or, maybe not, I guess there is some fabric above the zipper on the left side) If so, that is the "wall" I have referred to, which in addition to preventing visibility out of the right side, also keeps the PeaPod from being optimum fit on the right side. That is nitpicking from me, because it is really no worse on the right side than it is on BOTH sides with the Speer hammock for which the PeaPod was designed. But it would work a little better if that "wall" or some netting in it's place were either removable or at least designed to allow moving fully out of the way.

Of course, it is just as easy to use a WBUQ or MWUQ with the BB and not worry about the Pod. But I really do still like the PeaPod and hate to not be able to use it with this hammock as an option- although I can use it, but it is "lifted" some on the right side, not really a huge deal. Or, if I must use the Pod while trying to maximize top warmth without adding a top quilt, then I could just stick with my Claytor No Net with which the Pod works perfectly, and I don't have to carry the weigh of the net.

And for all I know, altering the right side "wall" or making it removable or replacing with netting would alter the basic characteristics of how the BB works with it's footbox and shelf and all. Love that shelf!

I have trouble with all netted hammocks when it is even moderately warm. I tend to be hot with the net closed ( in the humid south anyway) but can't survive without a mossy net, or lot's of deet (can't stand that either). So mostly I am a cool weather camper.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    Due to a right shoulder problem I am only able to lay on my left side, so my feet extend to the left. If the foot "pocket" was available on the opposite side, I'd be interested in one, but right now, without that, there isn't a great advantage over the Speer I already have.
    I know Brandon has offered to someone online here to do a reverse BB.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    It was not my intention to be hard on Coldspring...I simply was trying to address some of his easier concerns/suggestions.

I guess I misunderstood the intention of this thread. I assumed (my fault) that if someone had an easily fixable issue, they would be open to someone suggesting a solution or a fix. How silly of me...
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fulminated View Post
    To be honest, my problem hasn't really been having the pad slide out from under me. It's been me rolling off of the pad. Perhaps Brandon could make the first hammock belts to hold me in place .
    I have a huge and lite 30x80 pad with taper at head and foot. Pad is 3/8 thick(only 11oz) and does not move around much. Try a wider pad, this may help. Also, the longer pad seems to help as well as it is more secure in the tapered ends.

NA

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast