Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I don't know what to do yet, I thought the Blackbird was supposed to be the be all and end all of hammock innovation.
    Yea, when is any piece of equipment the "end of innovation"? Nothing fits everyone...and some people simply don't want to be satisfied.
    You want to sell it...let me know. Better yet, put it up for sale here and see if it lasts 1 day...

I'm actually thinking about a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight with zipper mods, if only they had a double layer for the mosquitoes. I've got the UL Backpacker with the zipper mods and it is a comfortable and functional hammock, I just wish it was a little larger.
    I'd suggest you stick with the HHUL...seems to fit you better (with all the mods, of course). Maybe you can find someone to add a second layer...ask around, plenty of creative DIY people here
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    I don't know what to do yet, I thought the Blackbird was supposed to be the be all and end all of hammock innovation.

I'm actually thinking about a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight with zipper mods, if only they had a double layer for the mosquitoes. I've got the UL Backpacker with the zipper mods and it is a comfortable and functional hammock, I just wish it was a little larger.
    That is a good hammock ( my original, I still pretty much like it), and with the HHSS UC, it has essentially a double layer for mossy defense. If I had the zipper mods on it, it would probably still be a main contender for me for use with either the SS or PeaPod. I have not yet tried the MWUQ on it, but I'm sure it would work just fine.

You are the first one I've heard of who wasn't really comfortable in the BB. My only complaint was the typical left calf pressure, which I might be more sensitive to than most, and I didn't have much luck on my right side, though I was fine on my left or in fetal. You can probably get a refund or if not it should be real easy to sell. Or maybe you just need to work with it some more.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I have only one suggestion, and it's one that someone mentioned previously. It has to do with a sleeping pad. Now, this isn't such a bit deal now that I've decided to get an SPE, but here goes anyway.

Some method of securing a sleeping pad to the hammock. This can be done, I figure, in a multitude of ways. These could be optional accessories.

1- Hook and Loop. One side sewn into the hammock material. I'm not sure how it would stand up to the stresses of the hammock with someone in it, which leads me to my second suggestion.

2- Pad Pocket. Yes, I know the double layered hammocks have a spot to put the pad in, but think of this added to it. A strip of fabric a few inches long at the foot, head and middle of the hammock. Slip the pad under the sections of fabric. Voila, no slippy slidy pad.

To be honest, my problem hasn't really been having the pad slide out from under me. It's been me rolling off of the pad. Perhaps Brandon could make the first hammock belts to hold me in place .

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The BB is just another step in the evolution of the camping hammock. I don't think will ever be a be all end all hammocks, or at least I hope not. I think there will always be people like me and the other DIY'ers out there that will always be tweaking, trimming, cutting, sewing, and experimenting.

Overall I'm really happy with my BB. It's very comfortable and roomy. I would like to see something like velcro to hold the edges of the 2 layers together. Not the whole length of the hammock, just a piece here and there would suffice.

I would also like to see a loop placed at the corner of the footbox. I have never had a problem with my under quilt and the footbox area, but the loop would be nice to have just in case you needed it.

Oh yeah... and some tie backs for the bug netting.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol
    Better yet, put it up for sale here and see if it lasts 1 day...
    I'd bet my BB that it wouldn't last much more than 15 minutes. It would be a record for sure
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The zipper pulls are just too small, and really need an attached string.

I wish the whipping had some kind of covering, it just looks unrefined.

I don't like the white stretchcord, it's just not a pretty color.

I wish it had a logo or tag somewhere.
    I mean, you had so many criticisms that actually affect the use of the hammock, did you REALLY need to include trivial crap like this? Honestly, it sounds like you're just looking for things to nitpick at this point. The color of the stretch cord and the whipping looking "unrefined"???? That's just silly.

You made some good points about why the blackbird doesn't seem like the right hammock for you, why trivialize those points with this goofiness?

For what it's worth, I too had some issues with getting the blackbird perfectly dialed when I first started using it - the way the shock cord attaches to the netting was weird to get used to, and I was tending to hang it too tight, with the feet too high, and had some trouble getting comfortable. Once I got those issues sorted, though, the blackbird has been a dream. You have obviously used hammocks other than the BB, so maybe you're doing something that worked well with them, and doesn't work well with the BB - I would experiment a bit more before you're so harsh on the design.

And maybe it's just not the right hammock for you, in which case, I'm sure Brandon would take it back, or someone on these forums will buy it up in a heartbeat.

Images
    coldspring, the lay should be very similar to your traveler. what are the fabric weights of each, i can't remember. fabric weights would be the only thing that would cause more shoulder squeeze that i can think of.

that's my torso uq isn't it? try tightening up the shockcord, if it's tighter, it'll stay put better. i use it pretty tight lately and it seems to work better.

you shouldn't be ducking under the pull tabs on the entrance side, approach from the foot end and sit down in the center, or even a little past. there is a black reinforcement patch between the footbox and the shelf, it's about in the middle of hammock. when i sit down, the pulltab is at least a foot to my left.

for more shoulder room, try laying your torso slightly more towards center. it'll probably form a groove there so to speak. your shoulder should be no farther over than the zipper, and that still leaves 8" to the net for shoulder room. pull tabs should be one just above and the other just below your shoulder.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    A tab or an attachment point sewn at the top "point" of the footbox. That would allow you to "custom fit" your UQ to totally cover the footbox by adding an extra attachment point on your UQ.

Tie-backs on the bugnet.

A pretty girl with a cold (or warm, depending on the season) beverage and a warm sandwich standing near the hammock at all times, that only says nice things, and sings you to sleep while massaging you.

A "triple layer," inside the current double layer, that is made entirely of $100 bills.

Buy one, get one free.
    I would like to make a second plea for loops to hole the underquilt where it needs to be for the footbox, then other loops near the head end to hold it diagonally as it needs to be to keep your left shoulder covered with underquilt. I have put these mods on mine and use shock cord to pull the underquilt in position and keep it there for the night. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Improvements to WB BB?

Relative to the two previous hammocks owned the BB is the hammock of choice. Any improvements I would like to see are minor tweaks that are easy DIY minor tasks.

The 1.1 single as is with a few mods (tab pull strings, suspension points for UQ & WS, wing tie out mods) is fine for warm weather hanging.

Would consider a full zipper fly on a double layer with a pad slip design that keeps the pad from drifting around. The added weight of the second layer would be offset by removing the bug net when not needed during cooler bug free season.

Not a real big fan of the AmSteel suspension line. No problems as a structural ridgeline. Slippery & flattening when using ring/Garda hitch. Revert to the simple no ring attach to the tree huggers using a slipped buntline hitch. Not a significant issue. Will probably change line after the AmSteel wears out allowing for ring/Garda option. A quick and convient method of attachment especially in a cold rain/snow.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I cut some ripstop scraps and tied tails to the zipper tabs; just made life a wee bit easier. I'd like some color choices too! The 1.1 is a really nice color gray, but I would like a black 1.7 Blackbird. No real reason, just seems cool.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I cut some ripstop scraps and tied tails to the zipper tabs; just made life a wee bit easier. I'd like some color choices too! The 1.1 is a really nice color gray, but I would like a black 1.7 Blackbird. No real reason, just seems cool.
    I cut some pieces of reflective cord and tied them to the zipper tabs.... I also do this on just about every other piece of gear I own which has zippers. I so totally don't understand how this is any sort of issue whatsoever.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast