Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFER View Post
    no no brandon I fully understand that they don't need to be attached to the ridgeline for support. What I mean is if there was no netting on top of the shelf then the shelf would be sensless. You say that the travel hammock only has a partial footbox why is that if it is self supporting.I watched shugs video and saw that the design allowed for the footbox and shelf to be self supporting I'm not sure what I'm saying now.

If anything I hope this gets you creative juices flowing!

TY
    Golfer,
    Shugs vidio is BB. The BB shelf without being tied out just hangs down and still has storage capabilities.

What did you get for UQ and OQ insulation?
    Have some stuff on order from Bradon now-nice little mod on Supperfly. Not as cool as possible(promised to keep my mouth shut)
    Trying to complete the whole package
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I had an interesting issue my last night out - spent 3 nights in Henry Coe State Park, which is a little known area over in Santa Clara County.

We were camping in China Hole, a narrow canyon where two streams come together and there's these huge swimming holes. The hills are very steep and the established camping areas are sparsely decorated with trees; I ended up between a large poison oak covered black oak and a smaller live oak, and the head end was a foot from the tree and the foot end was about eight feet from the larger tree due to a bunch of small oak saplings I didn't want snagging the underquilt. To add to the fun, a huge oak branch was lying there on the ground and the highest point on the branch was right under the foot end.

I didn't even bother with a tarp, as I am using my huge Cathedral cat tarp and didn't want that torn up either. Regretted that. It got cold enough to deposit a layer of frost on everything. I had the driducks poncho around the foot end as protection from branches and ended up clipping it to the ridgeline as an overcover. I was cold on my shoulders and back. Got up twice shivering like crazy to adjust the foot end strap, as I'm guessing the setup isn't done stretching; I don't think it was slipping, but twice I felt the poky end of a branch off the larger oak branch on my heel

I tied my fleece on like a cape and the added layer was enough to offset the slight compression of the JRB Hudson River, which I'm absolutely positive would have been up to the task - been in freezing temps with it before and the top quilt was my second HR, and from that direction I was ferociously warm. I moved the prussik on the suspension from the knot in the amsteel to just above the whipping and was IMMEDIATELY beset with a huge cold spot the size of my torso - too loose! Took a wrap in the shock cord and it went back to the way it was. Given that I was freezing and trying to do all this by headlamp, moving the foot end strap down a tree covered with poison oak (I had gotten it up there mainly by use of hyperextended trekking pole trickery) to adjust the tight hang of the hammock to take the pressure off the quilt wasn't feasible. So I was a little cold - I still slept better than I ever did on the ground, and even better than in the HH.

Why those trees? I was with two other ladies, and ostensibly the leader of the group. Climbing up the hill to find better hanging options would have been antisocial, plus I kept feeling like we were being watched and wanted to stay with them - so they could protect me (one person brought bear spray, even though we weren't in bear country there were wild pigs, mountain lions and plenty of people). The youngest of us had my HHULB as a loaner and had staked out the oaks nearer the water.

Long story to get to my want - some ways of hooking quilts to it that are adjustable for different hang tensions. There are three logical points right now, over the rings, the amsteel knot, or at the whipping. Though it's probably easy enough to mod. I think that next time I will take two additional loops of shock cord to use as a few centimeters of length for the UQ cords, to adjust for odd hang situations.

Coldspring's litany of nitpicks sounds like the reverse of the nitpicks I had about the HH. How personal taste can differ. I'm a side sleeper, and adapting to the hammock has included developing new positions, like the side-back with a half twist at the hip - sleeping on my side like I do in bed doesn't have to happen for me to be comfortable. I even sleep on my back now, where I hated doing that before. Trying to sleep on my side the way I do in bed would be uncomfortable long term. I wonder if Coldspring is working against the hammock fabric rather than with it. I also find that putting weight on the heels of my hands and spreading them to either side of me spreads the hammock fabric, making more room.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I also find that putting weight on the heels of my hands and spreading them to either side of me spreads the hammock fabric, making more room.
    I also do this, but never thought about it.
    Thanks for point it out!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    hey lori i have thought about henry coe park myself. is it a nice place to go?
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

Double Layer that acts as a weathershield.

Have not seen a double layer live. Not sure if this modification is structurally possible: Replace the outside layer with a waterproof, but breathable built in weathershield with the ability to open or close off the head and foot ends plus allow some tension adjustment. Hot nights open up the ends, loosen all the tension to allow max air movement. Moderate nights seal it up. Cool nights hang the UQ, loosen the tension to avoid compression and adjust the head and foot ends to regulate temp.

Been using the 1.1 Single with the JRB WS2. HH ocf/sb and JRB UQ depending on temps. Works nice, but an integrated WS with side perimeter seal specifically cut for the BB would be simpler, cleaner and maybe overall lighter.

Plus another storage "shelf" when not needed to protect UQ.

Momentum body, Spinntex outer layer with nylon breathing panel. Lighter? Maybe noisy, definitely more $$$s.
    Noel V.

Images
    I don't know how many nights i have in my BB but it's a mighty fine hammock. It and a bridge are my favorites. I don't own a bed anymore so it's all I use unless I sleep over at someone else's place. I had slept inside my house all the time with the netting pulled to one side. This weekend I took it outside and actually had the zipper shut and that wing pulled out. It makes quite a difference in the spaciousness and feel at the head end.

I know the wings match and when you pull the one side over to get rid of the netting they mimick each other but i'd suggest looking into putting the zipper up between the netting and the nylon. The only reason for the change would be to give you that extra head room AND be able to have the netting off....no big deal though.

The other thing is measurements for and attachments for between layer material. Pads or other material (I like neat sheet folded over a few times) are what I'm talking about. I've fooled around a bit but if others come up with some nice dimensions (trapezoid of sorts) that would be cool. However, keep the **** thing in place is another ball of wax. I think I saw some material that is being bulk ordered. Well if it's like the neat sheet, I'd love to see it used as a 'pad' I did hand sew some loops in between the layers as attachment points but I don't think it worked for the shape of the neat sheet I had.
    If there were attachment points already in there AND specifications for dimensions of what would fit, that would be sweet.
    just a few bits from a lot of nights, comfortably sleeping in this thing. I need to find time to sew up another bridge (all my others are given away). Til then, this is my daily hammock....
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    I've been sleeping great in my Blackbird. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm liking it a lot better.

Maybe Brandon could call his next model the Dreamcatcher. For some reason, every time I sleep in the thing, I have the strangest and most intense dreams. Some of them are wonderful, some are downright scary. They are more interesting than renting a DVD.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I've been sleeping great in my Blackbird. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm liking it a lot better.

Maybe Brandon could call his next model the Dreamcatcher. For some reason, every time I sleep in the thing, I have the strangest and most intense dreams. Some of them are wonderful, some are downright scary. They are more interesting than renting a DVD.
    Happy to hear that you have been sleeping better
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post

I have the same experience in my hammock, I think it is because I get more REM sleep and therefore, more dreams.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678