Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

newbie question...

I just bought a HH Expedition Asy, and was able to test it out this past weekend. It was easy to set up and very comfortable to sleep in. After twenty some years of backpacking with a tent I know now I can always get a good night's sleep in a hammock.

My only apprehension is a good rain storm. Maybe it was the way I set it up, but when I was lying in the hammock, it seemed as though in a good rain I'd get a good soaking. The tarp was tight, and guyed out, but it still didn't seem to over enough coverage. I'll be adding drip stoppers and tensioners to the guy lines. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks....Steve

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    First off Welcome to the hangin crowd. What most of have done is replace the stock tarp with an after market tarp. I have both a HH Epedasym and a ULBA. I love both my hammocks. But like you I felt that the flys were a bit tight and didn't want to chance getting everything soaked. That being said there are many who have found the stock tarps adequate. Right off one who gave the stock setup a run for its money was SGT. Rock. I have replaced my stock tarps with the MacCat Deluxe. A truly exceptional piece of gear. There are many more options available and many will chime in here with their experiences. YMMV & HYOH.
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 03-25-2007 at 19:38.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Welcome to the hanging gang....Yup, good rain and wind coverage is important....make sure you have a good bootom insulation plan/answer as well.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    There are a couple of techniques that will help you in wet weather. Setup has a lot to do with keeping dry. Make sure your tarp is set down close to the top of the hammock and pull the sides of the tarp in close to the hammock. You can also make sure that your hammock is turned perpendicular to the wind and the rain. I have slept out in heavy rain and I have never gotten wet.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Just a quick thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by steve43 View Post
    I just bought a HH Expedition Asy, and was able to test it out this past weekend. It was easy to set up and very comfortable to sleep in. After twenty some years of backpacking with a tent I know now I can always get a good night's sleep in a hammock.
    Wow, I've been hammock hanging for a year, and I still can't get a good night's sleep in it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Funbun - do you sleep better in a hammock than you do under a tarp on the ground?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Funbun - do you sleep better in a hammock than you do under a tarp on the ground?
    Never tried sleeping on the ground under a tarp.

I will say that I get get up in the morning pain free. Can't say that for my bed. I wonder if I just need to sleep in the hammock every night for like a month and see? The main thing is that can hardly sleep in my hammock, I just lie there wide awake. And maybe get 2 or 3 hours of sleep or so.

Who knows? I just might sleep better on the ground.

I notice in my bed I can't go to sleep when lying in my back. I just stay there wide awake. The moment I turn on my side or on my stomach I go right to sleep.
    Last edited by funbun; 03-26-2007 at 19:49.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    Never tried sleeping on the ground under a tarp.

I will say that I get get up in the morning pain free. Can't say that for my bed. I wonder if I just need to sleep in the hammock every night for like a month and see? The main thing is that can hardly sleep in my hammock, I just lie there wide awake. And maybe get 2 or 3 hours of sleep or so.

Who knows? I just might sleep better on the ground.

I notice in my bed I can't go to sleep when lying in my back. I just stay there wide awake. The moment I turn on my side or on my stomach I go right to sleep.
    wow... that amazes me i've been sleeping every night in a hammock for more than two years now.
    but if you can't sleep on your back (even in the bed) you obviously need to sleep on your side in the hammock too.
    have you tried that? and what kind of hammock did you say you have?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast