Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MC Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF Pad

How Do You Set It Up?

I have a feeling the Blackbird isn't for complete hammock noobs haha. The directions seemed just like a sheet of troubleshooting tips, but that's alright.

I got it and went to the park today to test it out and I got it to work and all and loved the way it felt when I laid in it. But it just felt like I wasn't setting it up correctly.

I have the adjustable webbing with the biners but I couldn't figure out how the biners were supposed to work so I just used the webbing and tied it the best I could. It worked well and I set it up fairly fast but I'd love to hear how you all set it up.

Any videos would be really cool too.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Shug's video should explain it. When I saw this, I bought my BB right away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    I am a complete hammock noob. The black bird is the only hammock I own. Watching the video that deadeye supplied was the only "instructions" I watched.

I've now set it up maybe 2 dozen times. Each time is different because of the size of the tree and their distance apart. I don't think this is any different with any other hammock. Just remember, there's a learning curve to everything. Some may be steeper than others.

See if you can get a hang setup with other hangers near you, or go to one that you don't mind driving to. I learned a good bit from the last one I went to.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    A simple set of rules I use with the BB or any gathered hammock is:
    1. Center the hammock on it's suspension between the trees
    2. Pull the suspension tight enough to make the ridgeline get tight, then adjust the height of the suspension on each tree to accomodate that.
    3. Make sure the foot end hangs about a half a foot higher that the head end at measured at the ends of the hammock.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    you have a ringbuckle suspension, search that here on hf. basically you put biners in the webbing loops, clip webbing around tree using biners, adjust webbing at the buckles, adjust both sides till everything looks good, and tie a backup knot behind the rings.

to know it's set up correctly, you'll want the hammock hanging level or whatever your preference is (some like foot end higher), at appropriate height for easy entry/exit, and the webbing should run at 25-30 deg angle. step back 15' or so to verify all these.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MC Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Great, thanks. I gotta get out and try it again today. Bit rainy out but the itch is too strong.

The kool-aid is oh so good.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    I've learned myself that the farther the trees are apart the higher I put the webbing on the tree. This gives the ability to get a better angle for the ridgeline, meaning that the ridgeline will not be guitar string tight. As indicated in the directions provided by brandon. When pulling the webbing to much to make the ridgeline tight then you will put more stress on the cordage than is neccesary, and I've found not as flat of a lie.

When setting up my BB my thinking is to make the webbing go on a downhill angle to the hammock (about 30 degrees or a little more). This is how I get the ridgeline so its not to tight and a flatter lie, but as I said the farther the tree the higher the webbing has to go to achieve this angle. Ideal distance between trees for me is around 18 feet give or take.

Hope this helps
    TY

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MC Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Thanks Golfer. I just got back and the trees I used were probably 15ft. apart and my webbing was probably like you said 30 degrees to the hammock. I got to use the biners and they were great! Just looped once round the tree and clipped it back to the webbing and it couldn't have been easier. Just relaxed for a bit and read a book in the park. Awesome stuff. Got a couple inquisitive stares from drivers which was pretty funny. Almost wanted them to come over so I could inform them on the awesomeness that is hanging.

Now if I could just get some money for a tarp then I could get serious..

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick37c View Post
    Thanks Golfer. I just got back and the trees I used were probably 15ft. apart and my webbing was probably like you said 30 degrees to the hammock. I got to use the biners and they were great! Just looped once round the tree and clipped it back to the webbing and it couldn't have been easier. Just relaxed for a bit and read a book in the park. Awesome stuff. Got a couple inquisitive stares from drivers which was pretty funny. Almost wanted them to come over so I could inform them on the awesomeness that is hanging.

Now if I could just get some money for a tarp then I could get serious..
    I like to go around the tree with 2 wraps, and set the biner to the left or right side of tree so most of the weight is on the strap and not the biner. Once you get it down, you will love seeing the looks of the tenters while they are still playing with polls.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Images
    once around should be enough, i've never slipped that way. the webbing might slip if you don't tie a backup knot behind them though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast