10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith

Going to ground w/Hammock Gear (pics?)

I am making some final decisions on some gear and was wondering of the multi-uses of the gear. I am DIYing a bug net for my hammock and am going to bite the bullet on a WB Superfly. I live in Ohio and a hang is not always an option or is it one for thru hikes or travel camping when in flat spars areas.

I was wondering on what setups people have done with their gear when going to ground.

1. I know the WBSF would make a great tarp tent for 1-3 people.
    2. I want to make the bug net practical as a bug bivy (for 1). Right now I am thinking of modifying the Fronkey style net.
    3. I have already played with doubling my UQ and TQ into a winter quilt or tucking one into the other like the new Sierra Designs quilt bed thing.

I do own several tents and ground camping equipment from 1 person to 3 but want to slim down the hoard. I also like having a room 2 man tarp tent that ways 20oz.

Any thought and pics would be great. I want this to also help show people how versatile our equipment can be and maybe help people justify some of the expense we incur as a result of the specialized gear this hobby requires.
    This can also show how to repurpose gear from the ground to the hang.

Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp 8 by 10
    Insulation
    20 Degree Pheonix
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't have any help for you really, just wanted to say that I'll be watching, as I'd like some kind of bugnet solution that would work both on the hammock or on the ground if necessary. So I will be hoping to learn something from any answers to your question.

I have gone back to using pads instead of my underquilt to learn what works and what doesn't and to what temperatures as they will work on the ground as well. I do love my UQ though, once I've gotten pads figured out I'll probably just go back to using my UQ on trips where I know I'll have trees.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Read Andrew Skurka's book http://andrewskurka.com/product/ulti...rs-gear-guide/
    I have it on kindle and wish I had it in book form for better notes. He goes into some detail about tarps and ground/site selection. Any of Ryan Jordon's books should help.
    I was just wanting to get some info out there.
    If you have the traveller bug sock you could invert it(top side down) then hang it like a pyramid net hung from at pole or ridgeline. This would put the zipper with a smile instead of a frown. I would use a ground sheet under the bugnet though.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdivot View Post
    I have gone back to using pads instead of my underquilt
    The pad is the one ground-sleeping necessity that's missing from some hammock setups. If you have a pack with a foam back pad, it can help a bit. I used to carry a folded piece of blue foam in my climbing pack - with the pack, the rope, and the blue foam I could keep insulated from the ground. Fortunately I only had to do that a couple of times.

I'm also (always) concerned about water under the tarp/tent and keeping it away from my insulating layers. Think sustained heavy rain (PNW monsoon) for hours.....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've set my hennesey hammock up as a bivy. You need hiking poles or sticks and a groundcloth, but it can be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Always plan your trip, and carry the appropriate gear for that trip. Not all trips are created equal.

IF I planned a trip out and thought I'd have one or more nights where I knew I'd be forced to ground...I'd change my gear accordingly.

I'd most likely drop my HHSS or UQ, and go with my inflatable pad. I'd drop my TQ, and go with a temp specific sleeping bag. I'd also make sure to carry some additional insect repellent (if doing this during the Spring/Summer/Fall time). I'd even consider changing out my hammock from my HH Explorer Deluxe with built in bug netting into one with a seperate netting.

Then...my plan would be to tarp tent on those days where I couldn't hang. Rig the tarp up on it's ridgeline, with my trekking poles as the 'trees'. I always carry an extra 55 gal 3mil trash bag...I'd split the sides/bottom on it, and use it as a ground cloth inside the tarp tent. If it was really buggy, I'd attach the bug net to my tarp ridgeline, and gather it up under my pad (think like the mosquito 'bar' the Army uses in the jungle). Apply additional bug juice as needed to repel them critters, and use the sleeping bag as needed.

When sleeping in the hammock, it's back to the basics...in a sleeping bag, on a pad.

If I'm on a trip where I plan on hanging the whole time (most all of my trips), I carry nothing but hammock gear.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/toggles
    from elsewhere on the forum. Interesting idea. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=79232

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I've given this some thought since I'd like to have a setup that I don't mind going to ground with. I think, but I haven't tried it yet, that a SGT Rock bug sock might work better than the Fronkey style bug net. Here's more info on the SGT Rock bug sock: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=21063.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Pheonix/Burrow 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just did a scout jamboree in July and didn't know the area ( organizers never know if sites had trees or not) 7 nights camping - I was hoping for trees

So I prepared for both - and fit everything but the tent into a 55L duffle bag for flying

My tent was a 2 person and went in the patrol box with the troops tents and gear - but it weighs 2.6 lbs - so if I was backpacking and had my pack it's not too bad.

for my gear - (that fit into a duffle bag)
    clothes and stuff for 7 days
    hammock setup - WBBB with HG TQ/UQ and maccat deluxe tarp
    If I had to go to ground Exped down mat 9DLX and a pillow case

I find the most important thing for me on the ground is a comfy pillow - and having a pillow case I can fit my UQ into actually works quite well with an exped mat.
    I did this at a early summer scout camp - no trees - 3 nights with an exped and my UQ in a pillow case and used my TQ as a bag was no problem.

the only thing I would change it temps were a little lower ( around freezing or just below) is I would swap the TQ for my down sleeping bag - in the case I had to sleep on ground -

I was on the ground on Saturday night - just stuffed my down sweater in my pillow case ( it's now a permanent part of my pack) and used my TQ - was with my wife so we were in the big tent on the coleman queen mattress.

lately (with scouts) I'm technically car camping - so I prepare for the hammock but toss in the tent and exped mat - just in case -

I don't mind sleeping on the ground - a night in the woods is almost always a good night

• + New Posts