Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Hammock hanging in Utah

Hello hangers,

I have a few days between appointments in Utah and Nevada in early November, and so I invited my brother to come over from DC and do some hammock camping. I'll pick him up in Salt Lake City, and from there I was thinking of driving to one or two national parks or national forests/wilderness areas to do some hammocking.

He's never done hammock camping, and I'm sure he would be Ok with just bringing a tent. But I would like to do some hanging if possible. I understand that Utah is better known for it's barren red rocks than for its diversity of trees, but still I have two questions that I hope someone in this forum can help me with:

1. Are there any hammock-friendly places to camp in the parks?

2. Does anyone know where I could find some rental insulation gear (TQ and UQ) for my brother? I will loan him a hammock and a tarp, but as far as insulation I only have enough for myself.

Thanks a lot for all the help you can offer.

Cheers,

Rick
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    From your tags, I assume you are going to be in the southern part of the state. There are places to hang around Bryce and Zion, but not as much around Arches or Canyonlands.
    The campgrounds in the parks are difficult at times and it really depends on who is there at the time. The areas around the parks are a lot more forgiving.
    What are you going after and what would you like to see? I will do what I can to help you out.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Thanks MuseJr

Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    From your tags, I assume you are going to be in the southern part of the state. There are places to hang around Bryce and Zion, but not as much around Arches or Canyonlands.
    The campgrounds in the parks are difficult at times and it really depends on who is there at the time. The areas around the parks are a lot more forgiving.
    What are you going after and what would you like to see? I will do what I can to help you out.
    Thanks so much for your help offer, MuseJr. I'm after some beautiful scenery, where we can do some hiking, camp for the night, and then get out. Maybe drive over to a different spot, do another hike, another overnighter, and then leave.

Or perhaps just one overnighter would suffice in areas outside the parks. The rest of the time we can just visit the parks like normal tourists would, and do little day walks.

I come from the lush tropics, and lead jungle expeditions as a profession. So the southern Utah landscapes are very foreign to me, and therefore attractive. I once visited Zion as a tourist, and was captivated by it, but didn't have a chance to spend the night in the woods.

My brother lives in DC, so he comes from an urban background. I wouldn't mind doing the hiking in areas outside the parks, if it helps in avoiding the red tape.

Any hints you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ricktreks
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I would hike through Bryce and just camp outside of the NP boundaries.
    PM coming with more info and options, just in case...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts