Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

NC - Uwharrie Trail Extension

NC - Uwharrie Trail Extension

For all of you who thought you've walked "all" of the Uwharrie Trail sometime in the last 20 years or so - hate to tell ya' but - now - you haven't.

The original Trail laid out in the 70's was 40 miles long. Sometime in the late 80's early 90's a good chunk of the northern section was lost. That left the 20 mile "Uwharrie Trail" and the "Birkhead Trail" section up north by Tot Hill.

There is a movement to reconnect the northern and southern sections to once again make the Uwharrie Trail 40 miles long. The Trail Fairies have put in some hard work over the winter and this spring to Blaze/Mark 4 miles of new trail north from the Jumping Off Rock Trail Head. My GPS put it at 3.7 miles from the sign in the parking lot to the north side of the gravel road.

I walked the trail addition this weekend. The trail starts just west of the parking lot over the bridge and on the right. Easy climb over a small hill and then drops down to Poison Creek (the water was tasty) and follows that NNE for a while (No water past Poison Creek). The trail makes a sharp turn to the left and goes SW up an old dirt road climbing Little Long Mountain. After a good climb the trail splits off the old road to the right and swings up to the left side of the crest and follows to the NE moving up to the top of Little Long Mountain (a few zigs and zags here and there). From the top of the mountain a few more zigs and zags in a northerly direction brings you to the 2nd gravel road and the - for now - turn around point. Note - there are 2 gravel roads. The trail continues a few hundred yards past the first on to the 2nd one.

Trail Notes - the trail is well marked and easy to follow. But with all trails, when walking for a while on a straight easy part like a stream bed or old road it is easy to miss the turn offs. Little Long Mountain was burned off not too long ago and has scattered small pines and open areas. The Blazes were put on the trees about chest high and in the open areas painted on rocks.

Since the burn some kind of tall weed has grown up all over the mountain. Some were well over 6 feet. They mask the blazes pretty well. You end up going to a blaze looking a bit and then moving slowly to the next while stomping weeds over. Never lost the trail but it did slow me down.

Needs some more feet over that section of trail to beat it down a bit.

What say you?

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Map

A rough map showing the route - little zigs and zags smoothed out some.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Pete,
    Thanks for the report. I've talked to lots of people around Asheboro that remember the 40 mile trail. That area could really be a destination with a 40 miler and maybe a shuttle service. I hiked the Uwharrie Trail several February's in a row and now need to do it again. 48 miles round trip would make a great two night trip.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I liked the comment on Poison Creek
    Thanks for the update on the trails. I have to admit I usually go west or north but might have to check this out.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Re: NC - Uwharrie Trail Extension

This is a great extension and I was fortunate being able to volunteer and work with the trail crews one Saturday. The Little Long Mountain section offers some nice views of the surrounding area. Many thanks to all the volunteers who made this possible!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    Trek Light Single
    Tarp
    JRB Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Kat TQ/HR BQ

Little Long Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    ..... The Little Long Mountain section offers some nice views of the surrounding area........
    I noticed that as I went through. Pretty open on top with no trees. Nice and fairly level with grassy areas and some level areas of gray rock.

Nice spot for ground camping if you wanted to watch the stars or say a meteor shower.

• + New Posts