Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Seatbelt vs Reg Polyester webbing question

I'm about to replace my straps. Since the Strapworks seatbelt webbing is smoother (more slippery?) than the regular polyester webbing, I was wondering if anyone has experienced any slippage when used with cinch buckles?

Any other issues with the seatbelt webbing. They say it's lighter, almost as strong and low stretch.

Good choice?

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...atbelt+webbing

Here is a link to a previous discussion. I have not noticed anymore slippage on the 1" seatbelt but it is about the same thickness and weight as the HD poly webbing. The 1 1/2" from Strapworks is actually thinner and lighter than the 1". I use it on one of my setups. I left about 4 ' at 1 1/2" and folded/sewed the remainder to make a 3/4" strap to the rings. Works great this way and is lighter than the standard poly webbing. If you get 1" seatbelt at Strapworks I would call ahead to see if you can get the weight. I ordered the 1" after getting the 1 1/2" thinking I could save even more weight but the 1" was almost twice as thick and heavier.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...atbelt+webbing

Here is a link to a previous discussion. I have not noticed anymore slippage on the 1" seatbelt but it is about the same thickness and weight as the HD poly webbing. The 1 1/2" from Strapworks is actually thinner and lighter than the 1". I use it on one of my setups. I left about 4 ' at 1 1/2" and folded/sewed the remainder to make a 3/4" strap to the rings. Works great this way and is lighter than the standard poly webbing. If you get 1" seatbelt at Strapworks I would call ahead to see if you can get the weight. I ordered the 1" after getting the 1 1/2" thinking I could save even more weight but the 1" was almost twice as thick and heavier.

Good info...thanks.

I just received four 6' x 1" seatbelt straps from strapworks. I use them as simple straps around trees and tie my hammock rope to them via a carabiner, so I cannot comment on possible buckle slippage. On my first test hang one of the straps was placed on top of my children's swing set and at that location is a metal plate to support the set. The seatbelt strap developed an abrasion against this metal plate (I think the abrasion came from this metal plate; I may have received the strap with the abrasion, but I think the plate caused the abrasion). Perhaps this was a singular event, but my nylon straps from Hennessy did not develop this abrasion when hung in the same way. I've used the straps a number of times elsewhere and all is fine, but I wonder about the durability of the seatbelt straps. Other than this one abrasion--which may have existed when I received the strap--the seatbelt straps seem strong. The straps do not seem any more slippery than the Hennessy straps. I wonder if the polyester version differs from the seatbelt version in terms of texture or durability?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=bwg;111909]I just received four 6' x 1" seatbelt straps from strapworks. I use them as simple straps around trees and tie my hammock rope to them via a carabiner, so I cannot comment on possible buckle slippage. On my first test hang one of the straps was placed on top of my children's swing set and at that location is a metal plate to support the set. The seatbelt strap developed an abrasion against this metal plate (I think the abrasion came from this metal plate; I may have received the strap with the abrasion, but I think the plate caused the abrasion). Perhaps this was a singular event, but my nylon straps from Hennessy did not develop this abrasion when hung in the same way. I've used the straps a number of times elsewhere and all is fine, but I wonder about the durability of the seatbelt straps. Other than this one abrasion--which may have existed when I received the strap--the seatbelt straps seem strong. The straps do not seem any more slippery than the Hennessy straps. I wonder if the polyester version differs from the seatbelt version in terms of texture or durability?[/QUOT

The polyester straps definitely have more texture. That's why I asked if the seatbelt straps might slip. They are much smoother so I thought they might be less grippy. Strapworks claims the strength is nearly the same. They also talk up the durability although in a very nontechnical way.

• + New Posts