Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Chattooga River (SC) hiking

Destination … not reached. Did it matter? Absolutely not.

I had the chance to get most of the kiddos out of the house for an overnighter. Mrs. STinGa stayed back to shuttle the oldest one to and from dance practices on Friday and Saturday. I’ve wanted to explore the Chattooga River area for a while and this was a fine time to start.

I picked the kiddos up from school with everything packed. We stopped for gas, a quick run through REI for a few last minute items, and then boogied north. We park in the Walhalla Fish Hatchery (pic 1) parking lot and had to share it with one other car. Whoo, what a crowd.

While my kids love camping and going on day hikes, this was their first time back packing. I didn’t know how far we would be able to get, but our intended destination was Ellicott’s Rock and Commissioner’s Rock. Everyone did great and we hiked until it was getting dusk. (Pic 2) We were able to find a spot large enough for the crew and set up camp with just enough time left to eat before darkness settled in. (Pics 3, 4, and 5)

It got a little cool during the night, but PLUQs worked well enough to keep us happy.

After getting up and getting packed, we decided to keep on going a little while longer to see what we could see. Breakfast was on the trail and on the go. (Pic 6)

After hiking about 30 - 45 minutes, we came across B Ford camping area. It looks like a great place to stay on the next overnighter. It is a nice flat area with the undergrowth cleared and plenty of trees left standing for us hangers. We ran across two guys relaxing by a fire pit overlooking the river. I guess they belonged to the car we saw upon arrival. We chatted with them for a few minutes and headed back out. From this spot, it was another 1.8 miles to the rocks. Due to family obligations and little legs, this had to be our turn around spot.

On the way back, we stopped for lunch at a good wading spot. The kids had a chance to play in the water while I “cooked”. While we were here, another hiker strolled through. After greetings were given, he said that he had a few trail books that he had written on the local trails. He gave me his business card and asked that I check him out when I had a chance. After we got home, I checked out his site. Guess what … I already had one of his books. Silly me didn’t recognize him as the author. I hope to see him again on future hikes so I can thank him for his works. It's always nice to support local people, especially those who are friendly and take time to encourage little ones to keep exploring the wilderness. http://www.gabartramtrail.org/purchase.html

After we finished eating, we worked our way back to the car. With about ½ a mile left on the trail, the littlest one started complaining about being tired. I refueled her with some crackers and she powered through. Overall, the trip was a super success. I now have a pretty good idea of where we can go and what we can due for upcoming trips. While we didn’t make it to our initial destination, everyone had a blast and was asking when the next camping trip would be.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Everybody looks pretty happy. Glad you got to enjoy a trip out with the kids. Nothing like time with Dad.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Too awsome!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Chattooga River (SC) hiking

Looks like everyone had a great time. Your children will always remember these great trips with their dad.

Cheers

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Now that is a flat lay (Pic #5)!

Way to go, STinGA. I applaud those men who act like fathers and take their kids into the woods and spending quality time with them. It looks like you all had a great time. I hope to see you on the trail one day.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Cool pics! I grew up not far from there. Looks like a great time.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

What a nice report about a nice father-daughters (& son?) trip into the woods! I've got three girls and they love backpacking. It's certainly not just boys who enjoy nature. And what a wonderful part of the world.

Good for you.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Sounds like a great time out, thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images

Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Everybody looks pretty happy. Glad you got to enjoy a trip out with the kids. Nothing like time with Dad.
    Nothing like time out with the girls. I was recently moved to the evening shift at work and time with them is less frequent than I like. I have to ensure quality over quantity right now. Believe me, this was just what we needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Too awsome!
    I totally agree. Looking forward to the next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Dad View Post
    Looks like everyone had a great time. Your children will always remember these great trips with their dad.

Cheers
    I remember trips out with my Dad when he would take me fishing. We could have been 50 yards apart and not saying a word, but I could look down the stream and we would give each other thumbs up. I want my daughters to have similar memories.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Now that is a flat lay (Pic #5)!

Way to go, STinGA. I applaud those men who act like fathers and take their kids into the woods and spending quality time with them. It looks like you all had a great time. I hope to see you on the trail one day.
    FIMB, It would be nice to bump into you on the trail. That area is about 2 hours from my front door, an easy drive for a 1 or two nighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Cool pics! I grew up not far from there. Looks like a great time.
    We all had a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    What a nice report about a nice father-daughters (& son?) trip into the woods! I've got three girls and they love backpacking. It's certainly not just boys who enjoy nature. And what a wonderful part of the world.

Good for you.

Rain Man

I don't know how to make boys. All four are girls (or young women ... gotta watch my verbage these days ). I have been blessed. They all take some form of dance (or two or three or four), but get them outside and they will be complete tomboys.

Quote Originally Posted by chapmage View Post
    Sounds like a great time out, thanks for sharing
    Fun was had by all.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    Den Mother DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/Noah's 12
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ-DIY TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Now THAT looked like a great trip! Kudos on rounding them all up for an overnighter! I'm ready for my 3 boys to get just a bit older so we can give their mom a break and go get stinky in the woods.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast