Hammock
    Land Chair (grounded hanging chair)
    Tarp
    Cotton twill padde
    Suspension
    rope 12mm
    Images

hammock pillow

A hammock pillow is perhaps more important that the hammock itself. I have a very good reason for this statement. If you have the perfect hammock hanging up, in the perfect place, and then have to spend the whole time holding up your head, it would be very, very bad. I dare you to try to spend just one night in your bed without your pillow. Right, just as I thought.
    The reality is that it is impossible to enjoy the full experience of a hammock without a pillow. So – having got that fact behind us, the really hard part is which type of pillow. I personally am a huge believer in doing anything that I do, properly. Why go to the trouble of doing something at all if you are not going to do it correctly. I declare myself a total hedonist. If I am going to sit I want to sit comfortably. Equally if I am going to lie down, hey! – do it properly. Now for the general choice types.
    Lying Down.
    If you are lying down fully, you are going to need a fuller type of pillow. This type will be more of the type that you would use when you sleep at night. The pillow must be a normal type. I do not need to go into detail here, remember your favorite pillow works best here.
    Sitting up.
    The advent of the hammock chair and its popularity is huge. There is however a very large variety of these hammock chairs available. While a large amount of these are adjustable, you will have to judge for yourself as to which angle the specific chair reclines at. I am going to presume that your chair here is more upright than not. The perfect pillow for this type of chair is that type of aircraft pillow that goes behind your neck. If you have a pillow that is too large it tends to push your head forward and ultimately give you pain. The shape of this pillow is often a hourglass shape.
    Slouching.
    Sorry I cannot think of a better description. What I really mean with this one is what a normal hammock should really be used for. In my opinion, the best hammock experience is in fact in a hammock chair. I feel that a full hammock is perfect for sleeping, but a little difficult for serious drinking. Having blurted out that fact, if you set up a full hammock properly it can become a fantastic nest. I love nesting. Pillows are very important here. I really mean plural. A large variety of pillows are needed to make this experience work. All sizes and all types of fabric. In fact a mixture of softness is equally important.
    Finally, I would need way more space to go through the other 5 important items to make the experience perfect. Let me just leave you knowing they cover, location, direction, company, supplies and attitude. Without any of these very special extras you will find yourself stretching your neck looking for at least one of those items. Always be properly prepared, in my case I am never without at least two books. And your pillow. In fact I always instruct people that I have supplied with a decent hammock to supply their local delivery person with a spare set of keys to their house. Think about it. If you are really comfortable and need anything it pays to telephone that person from your mobile and have them do the work on your behalf. logical. And do not forget your pillow. That was where we started.
    For a bunch more information about hammocks, go to – Hammock Pillow. Submitted to ezines
    A hammock pillow is perhaps more important that the hammock itself. I have a very good reason for this statement. If you have the perfect hammock hanging up, in the perfect place, and then have to spend the whole time holding up your head, it would be very, very bad. I dare you to try to spend just one night in your bed without your pillow. Right, just as I thought.
    The reality is that it is impossible to enjoy the full experience of a hammock without a pillow. So – having got that fact behind us, the really hard part is which type of pillow. I personally am a huge believer in doing anything that I do, properly. Why go to the trouble of doing something at all if you are not going to do it correctly. I declare myself a total hedonist. If I am going to sit I want to sit comfortably. Equally if I am going to lie down, hey! – do it properly. Now for the general choice types.
    Lying Down.
    If you are lying down fully, you are going to need a fuller type of pillow. This type will be more of the type that you would use when you sleep at night. The pillow must be a normal type. I do not need to go into detail here, remember your favorite pillow works best here.
    Sitting up.
    The advent of the hammock chair and its popularity is huge. There is however a very large variety of these hammock chairs available. While a large amount of these are adjustable, you will have to judge for yourself as to which angle the specific chair reclines at. I am going to presume that your chair here is more upright than not. The perfect pillow for this type of chair is that type of aircraft pillow that goes behind your neck. If you have a pillow that is too large it tends to push your head forward and ultimately give you pain. The shape of this pillow is often a hourglass shape.
    Slouching.
    Sorry I cannot think of a better description. What I really mean with this one is what a normal hammock should really be used for. In my opinion, the best hammock experience is in fact in a hammock chair. I feel that a full hammock is perfect for sleeping, but a little difficult for serious drinking. Having blurted out that fact, if you set up a full hammock properly it can become a fantastic nest. I love nesting. Pillows are very important here. I really mean plural. A large variety of pillows are needed to make this experience work. All sizes and all types of fabric. In fact a mixture of softness is equally important.
    Finally, I would need way more space to go through the other 5 important items to make the experience perfect. Let me just leave you knowing they cover, location, direction, company, supplies and attitude. Without any of these very special extras you will find yourself stretching your neck looking for at least one of those items. Always be properly prepared, in my case I am never without at least two books. And your pillow. In fact I always instruct people that I have supplied with a decent hammock to supply their local delivery person with a spare set of keys to their house. Think about it. If you are really comfortable and need anything it pays to telephone that person from your mobile and have them do the work on your behalf. logical. And do not forget your pillow. That was where we started.
    For a bunch more information about hammocks, go to –
    Hammock Pillow. Submitted to ezines
    Lying Down.
    Sitting up.
    Slouching.
    [email protected]

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    It looks like you doubled your post. I agree with the pillow though. I lay pretty flat in my diy and have tried it without a pillow. It's doable, but my arm always finds it's way under my head. I have a memory foam neck pillow that I have used but last night when I hung in my backyard, the part that wasn't under my head and neck became so stiff that I could hardly compress it this morning. I am thinking of buying a small camping/backpacking pillow that I saw for @10 bucks that comes with it's own stuff sack to use next.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ummm, OK. A fleece pullover does the trick for me in the wilds. I use a neck-pillow from Brookstone's at home, but I'm not carrying a pillow hiking when a pullover does the same thing, probably a little better.

I do see potential here. I think being a hedonist is almost a prerequisite to being a hammock hanger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Designsmith View Post
    I declare myself a total hedonist.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Depends on the hammock. I rarely use a pillow in a traditional gathered end hammock (Speer, Eno, etc) and not too often in a HH. Sometimes a fleece or such but I find the hammock often cradles my head just about right. I could see using a pillow in a bridge hammock. YMMV.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Designsmith View Post
    I feel that a full hammock is perfect for sleeping, but a little difficult for serious drinking.
    Umm.... how many drinks did you have before posting that?

Seriously though, I like my pillows. But for camping / backpacking I find that a stuff sack with my fleece tossed in works wonderfully.
    Last edited by sclittlefield; 03-30-2009 at 20:30.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    No offense meant to anyone, but I glazed over pretty quickly trying to follow the initial Thread. Whew. To quote William Shakespeare, "Brevity is the soul of wit."
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    McCat
    Insulation
    down quilts
    I use a thermarest fleece pillow case http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS...315&mv_pc=r126 it is designed to stuff you cloths into to make a pillow. I just put my down jacket in there. Very light very comfortable
    "I've been through some really terrible things in my life, some of which have actually happened"

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I've got a small travel pillow that I picked up at WalMart for about $3. I definitely need a pillow of some sort, and one of these days will be trying some variations that are available. Stuff-sack with fleece inside it (they always seem to flatten out if not in a sack), water bladder and inflated wine bladder from box-o-wine. Any of these three options are lighter than the already light pillow that I am carrying.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post

Seriously though, I like my pillows. But for camping / backpacking I find that a stuff sack with my fleece tossed in works wonderfully.
    Designsmith is from SA. I have spent time with quite a few from SA-Great people! They put the Ausies to shame in drinking too

I do fine with a fleece. Too much under head is not comfortable for me in hammock.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My "pillow" is a small fleece bag with a very thin piece of CCF in it. It's mostly for insulation & I don't always use it. In fact for the first year of hanging every night I didn't use a pillow at all.
    So, the "Fact" that you "Need a pillow" is a myth.

Nevertheless, that was indeed a L-O-N-G post. Prolly the longest disertation I have ever seen on pillows & their use.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast