Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Smile Hanging 7 wks/yr for past 6 yrs

I bought my first hammock in 2008: After trying out a friend's for about 60 seconds. I was sold!

I bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym. I was very close to buying a Lawson, as I valued its ability to "go to the ground" in the absence of trees -- but it looked tippy. With the HH, I got the optional large hex tarp, snakeskins, and the Supershelter (i.e., overcover, undercover, and underpad).

Have been hanging for 4-9 weeks each year, averaging about seven weeks/yr. Much of the hanging is while vacationing at a cabin where modern mattresses are available. I prefer being outside because it is more comfortable!

I've tested my setup in as low as 18 degree F -- I was adequately warm!

After studying MANY videos and ideas presented here in this forum, I've redone my hammock suspension system -- replacing the original equipment with 1/8 Amsteel Blue. For now, I'm using Tree Huggers with carabiners and have just installed (but not yet tested) the Sliding Ring Suspension.

Its really fun to see all these options and variations for suspension systems.

Am looking forward to learning much more here -- and perhaps contributing some useful tips/experiences.

Eric
    Last edited by altruistguy; 09-09-2013 at 21:56. Reason: Eliminate last name for privacy

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Welcome!

Averaging 7 weeks a years is some quality hammock time., nice.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Welcome. Though it seems strange welcoming a new member with so many years of hammock experience.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    HH DX Asym with 4 season insulation
    Tarp
    Typhoon rain fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Suspension
    2"X96" webbing
    Looking forward to doing something other than my backyard.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from Indiana!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Fla!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post
    I bought my first hammock in 2008: After trying out a friend's for about 60 seconds. I was sold!

I bought a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym. I was very close to buying a Lawson, as I valued its ability to "go to the ground" in the absence of trees -- but it looked tippy. With the HH, I got the optional large hex tarp, snakeskins, and the Supershelter (i.e., overcover, undercover, and underpad).

Have been hanging for 4-9 weeks each year, averaging about seven weeks/yr. Much of the hanging is while vacationing at a cabin where modern mattresses are available. I prefer being outside because it is more comfortable!

I've tested my setup in as low as 18 degree F -- I was adequately warm!

After studying MANY videos and ideas presented here in this forum, I've redone my hammock suspension system -- replacing the original equipment with 1/8 Amsteel Blue. For now, I'm using Tree Huggers with carabiners and have just installed (but not yet tested) the Sliding Ring Suspension.

Its really fun to see all these options and variations for suspension systems.

Am looking forward to learning much more here -- and perhaps contributing some useful tips/experiences.

Eric
    Wow, AG, Welcome and what a great almost 1st post! I started about a year+ before you, with exactly the same equipment except my Explorer was the UL model. I still consider that entire HH system to be quite competitive especially when on the trail.

And, out of the blue, another HHSS endorsement! Have you been using that since 2008? Wow! And sounds like it worked adequately for you right from the 1st? Could you tell us some more about that system? What all were you sleeping in at 18F? Inside a sleeping bag or under a quilt? Have you had much problem with condensation?

It sounds like, with 7 wks a year X 6 yrs, you arrive here qualifying as an HH and HHSS Guru! Good post!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Welcome from jersey

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Welcome. I'm looking forward to hearing about the lessons you've learned through all of your experience.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

How I managed the 18 degree night

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

And, out of the blue, another HHSS endorsement! Have you been using that since 2008? Wow! And sounds like it worked adequately for you right from the 1st? Could you tell us some more about that system? What all were you sleeping in at 18F? Inside a sleeping bag or under a quilt? Have you had much problem with condensation?
    Have never had a problem with condensation and the SS -- it has served me quite well simply following Tom's guidance on how the system is designed to be used.

Here's how I managed the 18 degree night:
    - Used the Overcover, Undercover, and Underpad, with Spaceblanket over the underpad.
    - Added a parka between the undercover and underpad. Not sure this helped -- it was kind of heavy and may have pulled the undercover away from the hammock.
    - Slept inside a fully-cinched zero-degree mummy bag.
    - Two fleece balaclavas on head.
    - Polypro liner plus thick wool sweater on top.
    - Poly pro liner plus fleece pants.
    - Mittens.
    - Wool socks and down booties.

I did this in my backyard -- just to see how it would go! I was quite pleased that it went really well.

• + New Posts