Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    A warm hammock in camp can do much to reheat; however the hike from RHK to Overmountain won't present the same opportunities. I've backpacked in waterproof-breathable trail-runners while wearing neoprene socks in pretty cold temps and moderate snow with good luck. I've also lost feeling in my feet wearing the same gear in similar temps but deeper snow (24"- 48") on Mount Cammerer. If you have a good pair of waterproof hiking boots with enough room for your VB socks and a thick outer sock, that might work better at staying warm than neoprene. (Gaiters would also help.) Check out the temperature ratings for wetsuits and the thickness of neoprene needed. None of them go below 38 degrees F. I'd imagine you'll have hot feet at 25 F, but you probably won't have the same experience standing still at 5 F.

Don't forget conductive heat loss from the bottom of your footwear. While actually hiking, your feet will generate enough heat. However, standing around camp provides a sure pathway for the heat on your feet to traverse the bottom of your shoes.

I'm not trying to trash your footwear choice so much as save your feet, or at least prevent some misery.
    As a diver, I'm familiar with neoprene usefulness and weaknesses. I'm not fully confident in these shoes, but since I do not have any hiking boots, this will have to do. I'm confidant about my first night. The second day will be the challenge.

I've been thinking that for time in camp, I'll wear something like crocs and bread bags over my down socks.

I do not have gaiters, but I can put rubber bands around the bottom of my rain paints which will go over the bread bags.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Sorry I'm late on the neoprene bandwagon for this type of hiking/camping. To be quickly up front about it I'm not on the bandwagon-at all. Neoprene is great stuff but not at possible RHK temps AND terrain. I say terrain because the above listed NRS boots are not intended for hiking or walking in far at all. HNO loaned me a pair at LBL but I've had a pair for years (I just can't find them, imagine that) and on several paddle camping trips I'd had to walk a ways from kayak to campsite and they SUCK. For warmth maybe you could get a size big enough for warm socks inside but that would make them 'higher' stability wise for walking/hiking=again bad. Even higher with the inserts=worse stability.
    Not recommended.
    Good to know. I've done quite a few miles hiking in neoprene shoes before. It's not great, but I hope I can make it work.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Jeremy if any body can hike in them it is you
    Personally I think you're trail runners would be fine if you are wearing waterproof socks inside; then change to down booties in camp....or has that been gone over already?
    Of course this is feasible if the snow is now a foot deep and more.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Thanks for the confidence, MM.
    I looked into neoprene socks. They all had seams that would cause rubbing and blisters in bad places. The boots should be better.

I still need to make down booties or breakdown and buy some from Goosefeet or AHE.

How is the snow pack up there now? 1'-1.5'? Will we be postholing or will the trail be packed down pretty well? I doubt there are too many people like us willing to brave it up there.

A question I don't want to ask but feel that I should. In cave diving we have a "Golden Rule." To give the "thumbs up" sign while diving means that the dive is done and that the team should return to the surface. The golden rule says that anybody can call the dive for them-self or another member of the team for any reason or no reason at any time without negative feelings from the other team members latter. Is there something like this that we all have an agreement on? If I see someone showing signs and symptoms of hypothermia, or if someone sees that I am, I want to know we have not only the freedom but support of the group to call it.

I hate to have to be the party pooper, but I also like to be prepared and able to reassure my wife before I go. I plan on sticking this rip out and learning a lot, but safety is important to me.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I am going to try to make it. I have an underquilt on order that will need to get to me in time to make it. Yikes...sold two 0-degree underquilts in the past year and now I need one! I'll shoot Adam a note at HG and see what the art of the possible is.

Who's volunteering to drag a swedish candle/stump to the party for warmth?
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Insulhammock
    Insulation
    gigantic beer gut
    Suspension
    Never got caught
    Jeremy, the safety of every person going is priority #1. There is no deviation from that! If someone gets sick from hypothermia, you can darn well bet the entire group will rally around that person to help them. For this type of high elevation and cold temp hike, we'll have to keep a close eye on each other. That's just the way it is...and has to be.

Images
    Roan High Knob Higher & Colder Hang
    February 7 - 9, 2014

MedicineMan
    Roche
    Spamburglar
    FireInMyBones
    Wlb007
    Hangnout
    Wisenber
    Ragnall
    Poof
    Ftroop94
    Rivendel Refugee
    Crackrbilly
    TheFirePitGuy
    Grapenut

Is that everybody? Again, it's FEB 7 - 9

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Except for ftroop, we would probably leave him behind because when he thaws out he would still beat us to the next camp.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirePitGuy View Post
    Jeremy, the safety of every person going is priority #1. There is no deviation from that! If someone gets sick from hypothermia, you can darn well bet the entire group will rally around that person to help them. For this type of high elevation and cold temp hike, we'll have to keep a close eye on each other. That's just the way it is...and has to be.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post

I still need to make down booties or breakdown and buy some from Goosefeet or AHE.

How is the snow pack up there now? 1'-1.5'? Will we be postholing or will the trail be packed down pretty well? I doubt there are too many people like us willing to brave it up there.

A question I don't want to ask but feel that I should. In cave diving we have a "Golden Rule." ...
    If you can make down booties, you can make gaiters. Gaiters are about as simple as it gets. Gaiters combined with waterproof trailrunners on the outside while using liner sock\VB\ heavy sock on the inside will keep you warm enough during the hike

As to the snow. That could be anything. I've seen 6" to multiple feet. It just really depends on what has been dumped up there.

As to safety, no one is left on their own. With a group the size that we have, some may opt to skip the second day depending on their comfort level, but that decision would happen next to their car. For whatever reasons, we've never made it to Overmountain. I'm hoping we will this year.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I did this trip 2 or 3 years ago I hiked in trail runners with a thin liner sock, a bread bag over them and then a wool hiking sock plus knee high gaiters. This combo worked great. Never had wet or cold feet. I carried a pair of old Sierra Designs down booties with foam insulated bottoms for camp.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I'm still trying to get the 9th off.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast