Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images

new claytor expedition inbound!!!

hi guys,
    i haven't been on the forums here in quite awhile. i was tempted by a hammock last summer but didn't end up taking the plunge. well after doing a bunch of investigation on new shelter options i finally ended up biting on the claytor expedition - liked the room, weight, netting, and full zipper! actually my gf bought it for me as a present!!! hehehe

other than having to wait an unusually long time for it to arrive (as i've read in other threads) what can i expect from this? i have no experience hanging so this will be a brand new adventure for me. tips? advice? do's and don'ts of hanging? recommended reading?

thanks,
    swoosh

ps. i'm excited like a little kid

Hammock
    WL-NightOwl & Claytor-Exp
    Tarp
    WL-BD & Speer-8x10
    Insulation
    WM-CCF + NF20F POD
    Suspension
    HatchetKnot
    Little trick when bugs are no problem and you want get the net out of the way.
    Hang hammock as usual then insert foam pad if desired but do not install net spreaders and do not connect net shock cord.
    Then flip hammock 180 (upside down) to put net on bottom
    Travels with Samantha

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    good idea dually!

anyone else got any pointers or basics? like i said, i'm totally new to hanging

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Tie overhand knots (water stoppers) in your suspension webbing. one or two on either side right before the webbing goes into the channel at the ends of the hammock. The stock webbing is a little stretchy but if you keep some sag in the suspension (tie high on the tree) you will lessen the forces and see much less stretching.
    Enjoy!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    WOOOHOOOO got it today after i got off work. gonna hang tomorrow night!!!

i need a tarp

any recommendations? 3 season AT usage, mostly in PA

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Great Advice Dually

Quote Originally Posted by dually View Post
    Little trick when bugs are no problem and you want get the net out of the way.
    Hang hammock as usual then insert foam pad if desired but do not install net spreaders and do not connect net shock cord.
    Then flip hammock 180 (upside down) to put net on bottom

Great advice dually. I do this in the winter months and it works very well.
    Also the stock suspension is something that you might consider swapping out. It soaks up water like a sponge and will stretch a lot. Hang your hammock high and a little tight on the first night or your butt will be on the ground by morning. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I went to Strap Works and ordered a Simple Sling in 1 inch seatbelt webbing with a 1 inch loop at each end. 20 feet long and then cut it in half. There are your two lengths of webbing for $9.66 + shipping.

I then went to rei.com and ordered 4 SMC Rappel Rings for a ring buckle system. $11.60 + shipping.
    Cinch Buckles work great also.

Figure 9's for your tarp (when you get one) I don't know what I would do with out them (Tie a lot of knots I guess) I have them on all 4 of my tieouts. I like to attach the figure 9's directly to the tarp. I think that makes things nice and easy.

Congrats on the new hammock!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Tie overhand knots (water stoppers) in your suspension webbing. one or two on either side right before the webbing goes into the channel at the ends of the hammock. The stock webbing is a little stretchy but if you keep some sag in the suspension (tie high on the tree) you will lessen the forces and see much less stretching.
    Enjoy!
    What he said. Without the extra knots, or some rings, you will get wet. The water will wick/run right down your webbing into your hammock. A drip line might work, but you will need two on each end, and I think the knots should be added even then.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    Great advice dually. I do this in the winter months and it works very well.
    Also the stock suspension is something that you might consider swapping out. It soaks up water like a sponge and will stretch a lot. Hang your hammock high and a little tight on the first night or your butt will be on the ground by morning. I'm speaking from personal experience.
    I think you may have had trouble with the stock webbing by hanging high and tight. I use the identical suspension for my claytor as you do(webbing/ rings), but swapped the claytor webbing to a cheap loaner hammock. The two people I loan this hammock to are 190-220 lbs and when you hang the hammock with plenty of sag there is very minimal stretch. I wanted the seatbelt webbing because you can hang it high and tight in a really neat spot that might not be ideal for hanging but do-able with the right stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post
    I went to Strap Works and ordered a Simple Sling in 1 inch seatbelt webbing with a 1 inch loop at each end. 20 feet long and then cut it in half. There are your two lengths of webbing for $9.66 + shipping.

I then went to rei.com and ordered 4 SMC Rappel Rings for a ring buckle system. $11.60 + shipping.
    Cinch Buckles work great also.

Figure 9's for your tarp (when you get one) I don't know what I would do with out them (Tie a lot of knots I guess) I have them on all 4 of my tieouts. I like to attach the figure 9's directly to the tarp. I think that makes things nice and easy.

Congrats on the new hammock!

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    ahhhhhhhh a peaceful 8 straight hours of sleep! i woke up pretty much the same height as when i went to bed w/ the stock webbing. perhaps it'd be different in the rain. i'll look into that seatbelt webbing.

does the ring buckle system replace tying knots and take care of water running down the webbing into my hammock?

i need a rainfly/tarp. please recommend me some

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    ahhhhhhhh a peaceful 8 straight hours of sleep! i woke up pretty much the same height as when i went to bed w/ the stock webbing. perhaps it'd be different in the rain. i'll look into that seatbelt webbing.

does the ring buckle system replace tying knots and take care of water running down the webbing into my hammock?

i need a rainfly/tarp. please recommend me some
    Glad to hear it held you, it always held us 200+ pounders quite well. But, we were not pulling ridgelines tight, that may be the dif.

Yes, once the rings or buckle/webbing system is installed, there should be no more need for knot tying. Of course, once you have the bowline tied on one side of the Claytor webbing/channel( and I guess you have already done that part?), the only other knot you have to deal with is that slippery half hitch, and I can't really say that is a whole lot more difficult than just clipping the biner over the webbing and then adjusting the webbing length. That Claytor recommended sey up is about the same complexity as tying my shoe laces. The only complexity for a true knotphobe should be in the tying of the bowline, a one time deal during set up. And you are going bto have to do some sort of one time knot tying to attach rings or buckle to your hammock. It's all fun, though!

Although, I do like the way the webbing cinches on the tree when wrapping just one loop around the tree and then clipping the biner onto the webbing. Then, if you need to adjust the height of one end or both, you just need to give a little slack and move it up or down, or un-clip and move up or down then quickly re-clip. In addition, changing the centering between the trees or sag in the hammock is done by re-adjusting the buckles/rings. Very quick and easy, probably the easiest of all systems. Those are the big advantages of a ring buckle system to me, more so than than not having to fool with some knots.

While I was thrilled with this when I first got ( and it is the best/easiest/most convenient to use IMO), I came to realize that it really doesn't amount to much for me when on a hike. Once I get to camp, having to spend an extra few minutes to do a Speer 4 wrap, or a simple round turn and 2 half hitches ( my favorite) or the Claytor set up or even the relatively PIA HH figure 8 lashing with tree huggers, really doesn't eat up that much of my day. Considering once I have it set and adjusted, I probably won't fool with it again until I break camp. And it does cost a little money and time to switch, and add a little bit of weight added to the pack. It is nice, though, and might be worth it! At least it is fun to play with!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast