Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Thumbs up Score!!

Scored another Singer 401A for free. Was visiting a friend of mine at his dads house and we happened to be out in the garage, and for some reason I happened to look up and saw about 1" of the corner of the sewing machine sticking out from a edge of a loft in the ceiling. I recognized the color and asked my friend if that was a Singer 401A. After a strange look and some investigation it sure enough was a Singer 401A. I asked him to talk to his dad and see if they still wanted it or wouldn't mind selling it.
    His dad gave it to me free and said he had more of them sitting up there but he gave them away already. He said it works fine but I will probably use it for parts for my other Singer 401A that has already been serviced at a shop. Haven't been able to use my other Singer because the thread tensioner knob is not original and was installed improperly and causes constant birds'nesting. I was also missing the Cam cover on my other one so I will be able to replace that now too.

I got the first Singer 401A for only $40 and spent $75 getting it serviced and repaired. Mom gave me her Montgomery Ward which has been running like a champ ever since I learned how to properly tension the thread. Each machine has all accessories and manuals except the most recent Singer....Pretty happy right now...lol

Pic of all three below. The Far left is my first singer and the one in the back is the old Montgomery Ward and the far right is the one I just found that was sitting in the top of the garage for 20 years... Yes, the singer could use a good cleaning...I just haven't had a chance to work on it yet...Plan to detail it this weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    woot!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Scored another Singer 401A for free. Was visiting a friend of mine at his dads house and we happened to be out in the garage, and for some reason I happened to look up and saw about 1" of the corner of the sewing machine sticking out from a edge of a loft in the ceiling. I recognized the color and asked my friend if that was a Singer 401A. After a strange look and some investigation it sure enough was a Singer 401A. I asked him to talk to his dad and see if they still wanted it or wouldn't mind selling it.
    His dad gave it to me free and said he had more of them sitting up there but he gave them away already. He said it works fine but I will probably use it for parts for my other Singer 401A that has already been serviced at a shop. Haven't been able to use my other Singer because the thread tensioner knob is not original and was installed improperly and causes constant birds'nesting. I was also missing the Cam cover on my other one so I will be able to replace that now too.

I got the first Singer 401A for only $40 and spent $75 getting it serviced and repaired. Mom gave me her Montgomery Ward which has been running like a champ ever since I learned how to properly tension the thread. Each machine has all accessories and manuals except the most recent Singer....Pretty happy right now...lol

Pic of all three below. The Far left is my first singer and the one in the back is the old Montgomery Ward and the far right is the one I just found that was sitting in the top of the garage for 20 years... Yes, the singer could use a good cleaning...I just haven't had a chance to work on it yet...Plan to detail it this weekend.

Now thats a great deal,we have an old 301A and it purrs like a kitten

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    You lucky dog, you!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Sweet! Free is awesome!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    Free bee.
    I love Them.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I wouldn't be too quick to swap parts, the new machine will probably work great with a good clean and oil and may be the better of the two.

If that's the case, you can eventually find a tensioner and cam cover on ebay.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Very nice, good score indeed.

I have three machines and no time to sew. I plan to cut a hole in a wood desk to make a place for one my MIL gave me that came out of a cabinet. I guess the cabinet was trashed years ago. I need to service it also, it is dusy and needs a good cleaning.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Good for you XTrekker. Score! indeed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Good stuff. Those look really solid.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast