DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

Stuffed Size - Quilts

I have an opportunity to buy a used pack (Gregory Baltoro) from a friend and I'm trying to figure out if some hammock gear that I don't have yet will fit in the pack. I need to estimate the size of a stuffed 20 degree down under quilt and stuffed 20 degree top quilt. I'll probably buy a 3/4 length underquilt.

The Clark hammock I bought is a little bulky compared to what its replacing so I want to make sure the pack has room for everything before I buy it. I know the sizes I'll get by asking about it here will vary but information will really help me estimate. I already checked some of the quilt sites and I didn't find any stuffed sizes.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Well I'm not sure of the stuffed sizes but I've managed to pack my 20* quilts (UQ is 7/8 length) and enough gear and food for 4 days into a 46L pack, barely. But I wasn't using a bulky Clark hammock. Regardless though, you shouldn't have any trouble getting all of that into a Baltoro pack.

If you're going to be headed north to the mountains anytime soon, or just feel like making the trip, you can swing by my place with your hammock and see how it all fits into a pack. I have a 65L and an 80L so it should give you a good enough idea of what it'll be like in the pack you plan to get.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch / whoopies
    What size is the Baltoro? I'm sure you won't have a problem fitting your quilts and hammock. The Baltoro is supposed to be a great load hauler.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I currently have an REI ridgeline which is a 65 L pack and I have a tough time getting all of my gear into it without the bulky clark hammock and without the vertex tarp. I dont like having stuff hanging on the outside. I am confident that it will all fit in the Baltoro, but I always buy my packs bigger than I need (except for the ridgeline which turned out smaller than it seemed).

What I am trying to estimate is what space would be left when I have all my gear loaded. Thanks for the comments and offers to look at gear here in GA. I won't be going up to the mountains for a while but I sure appreciate the offer.

I would guess that a top quilt and a bottom quilt in stuff sacks would be around the size of a stuffed down sleeping bag and certainly no bigger than a stuffed synthetic bag in a non compression stuff sack. This is basic info and it seems odd to me that the manufacturers I checked don't have it on the spec sheets.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    This is basic info and it seems odd to me that the manufacturers I checked don't have it on the spec sheets.
    +1 I agree.

Off-topic-I usually have a different problem- ensuring that everything can pass through a fairly small kayak hatch opening.) I like the (expensive ) OR compression sacks with the 'breathable' (but somehow waterproof) band which allows air to escape when stuffing. I use one for the sleeping bag and another for clothing.
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5031-036/o...ression-sacks/

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Our 50* TQ is provided with a 5X7 stuff sack, all other quilts are provided with a 8x12 stuff sack. The 40* Quilts still have plenty of additional compression available in the8X12, the 20* Quilts have a little additional compression available and the 0* Quilts are stuffed tight n the 8x12 stuff sack. These are standard sil nlyon stuff sacks, not compression sacks which would make things even smaller.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

Stuffed Size - Quilts

I have a Baltoro 70, and can tell you that I can easily fit 3 days of food, a 0 degree UQ, a 20 degree Kelty synthetic sleeping bag in a compression sack (about twice the size of my compressed UQ), my hammock, tarp, and 1 change of fall weather clothing in it with relative ease. (Plus all the odds and ends and cookware)

I would say for a generous size comparison on the quilts: think of a regulat sized american football, but not tapered in the ends. Hope that helps!

PS. I freaking love my Baltoro!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Just as a reference. I want to thru hike the foothills trail in SC which is about 80 miles end to end. So I need to carry 5-7 days worth of food which is bulky. I have a clark hammock which is the diameter of a football and a bit longer. I would call the clark slightly bulky. Again, I'm trying to simulate the size so I can fill the pack up with my gear and see how much room is left (if any).

Thanks for those comments!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Awkwardsportsman, Is that football size comparison for a 3/4 length underquilt AND a top quilt combined or are we talking about two footballs worth of volume?

Senior Member Awkward Sportsman's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

Stuffed Size - Quilts

What size is the pack? I'm guessing if you pack light with your clothing you'll make it without a problem (if it's a 70). I just packed 9 days of food for a boundary waters trip this october. It is a tight squeeze for everything to fit with the heavier clothing I will have, but that is also me using a sleeping bag in the pack. I just got done with 3 days on the superior hiking trail, and had a bunch of room left in the pack, I could have easily fit another 4 days of food. My hammock is slightly smaller than yours, but not enough of a difference to make in this case.

Of course please remember that everyone packs differently, and my setup may have a lot more or less gear than yours. That being said, I am not an ultra light hiker, and don't get overly concerned about my pack weight. I will be making a video shortly with my gear load out for 9 days.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast