Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Advice? Can't get comfortable with my Clark

i am a long distance bicycler tourer, averaging 50 to 70 miles daily.
    I just find that the Clark wraps me up. I like to sleep on my side, and the Clark is very confining. I need to have more freedom of leg movement. I have actually been awakened by a horrible leg cramp, that is just plain wicked, because you are trapped in the hammock, and you need to get out pronto, to stretch that calf muscle.
    I have tried different positions, bought a Big Agnes bag and pad, so as to slip the pad inside the sleeve, tried different angles, lots of sag, no sag, etc.
    Maybe the hammock style is just not conducive for long distance bicycle travel. I find that most bike people gravitate to the Speer's single ply tarp tents.
    I thought the HH might not have the banana effect as much as the Clark.
    Just frustrated and would like to be successful.

Would have grabbed that basic Explorer from Hangnout, but it looks like Dirtpacker grabbed it unless Hangnout doesn't want to drop the price. That seems like a cheaper way to try the HH style. I live in the Salt Lake City valley, and if there are any members in the vicinity, I would welcome some help and hints in trying to make this work for me.
    Thanks again, sorry for a long first post.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    sell the Clark and order a blackbird just my .02 cents

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    I need to have more freedom of leg movement. I have actually been awakened by a horrible leg cramp, that is just plain wicked, because you are trapped in the hammock, and you need to get out pronto, to stretch that calf muscle.
    You've come to the right place for advice. Probably more than you can use!

First question is---do you need a bug net? If not you have options for getting out the top, fast. So let's suppose not.

To have lots of freedom of movement you need a wide long hammock. The warbonnet blackbird is all the rage around here and deservedly so. That would be my suggestion number one.

Suggestion number two would be a Henessey, tricked out with a modification that puts a zipper up top. Guy named 2Questions here does that on the side (his wife actually, the Zipper Queen). They do great work. Historically there have been a lot of HH Expedition models for sale at ebay, it is a bit harder to find an Explorer but it can be done. My recommendation would be an Explorer Ultralight.

For less $$ a nice hammock with boatloads of room is the Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter PRO. My impression is that the stitching is no-where near the robustness of the warbonnet, but if you can sew or know someone who can you can lay down some more stitches to firm things up a bit.

I've never actually laid in a Speer, so I can't really comment on that one.

It's a start! Welcome to HF.

Grizz

Thanks Golfer, thanks Grizz.

Do other people feel that the basic Clark is tight?

Yeah, I do need the netting, as I do a lot of biking up around near Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. When there is a hatching, you know what I mean.
    Worst was in Canada. I had to pitch the Clark in near dark, and it slipped down almost to the ground during the night.
    I awoke, and thought my rain fly had dropped as well, it was so dark...
    but it was skeeters completely covering the netting. I was so grateful I had put my Thermarest pad under me and my bag. I shook the netting and they cleared out and I had almost no bites. Those bridge type hammocks, I wonder how much those poles "break down". I'm trying to keep my load under 45 pounds this summer on the bike. You gotta lug a lot of water in some parts.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    For room without bugnets I hear great praise for the eno/treklight double models. Never used on although I lie in a ENO single one time. Couldn't get out of it without help... but that's my mobility issue, not something germane to the hammock.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    I can not stress the comfort of my 1.7 double blackbird. Not sure of your weight or height. Now not sure which side you prefer to lay on but warbonnet guy (brandon) can put the footbox on either side for you. I like the double for the pad pocket and the attached screen with the zipper on the side.

Whatever you do good luck and stay safe out there in the piney woods.

TY

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    i am a long distance bicycler tourer, averaging 50 to 70 miles daily.
    I just find that the Clark wraps me up. I like to sleep on my side, and the Clark is very confining. I need to have more freedom of leg movement. I have actually been awakened by a horrible leg cramp, that is just plain wicked, because you are trapped in the hammock, and you need to get out pronto, to stretch that calf muscle.
    I have tried different positions, bought a Big Agnes bag and pad, so as to slip the pad inside the sleeve, tried different angles, lots of sag, no sag, etc.
    Maybe the hammock style is just not conducive for long distance bicycle travel. I find that most bike people gravitate to the Speer's single ply tarp tents.
    I thought the HH might not have the banana effect as much as the Clark.
    Just frustrated and would like to be successful.

Would have grabbed that basic Explorer from Hangnout, but it looks like Dirtpacker grabbed it unless Hangnout doesn't want to drop the price. That seems like a cheaper way to try the HH style. I live in the Salt Lake City valley, and if there are any members in the vicinity, I would welcome some help and hints in trying to make this work for me.
    Thanks again, sorry for a long first post.
    I am broad Shoulder'd, and when researching hammocks was intent on Clark until I was introduced to the BB. In fact, I saw from this site that the Clark can be a bit narrow, and was even considering a Hennessey. I am quite happy with my choice in the BB, as it is ROOMY! The leg thing is prevelent on most all gathered end hammocks, but is minimal from what I can see in my BB to date. You just need to play with suspension to get the proper lay. You may want to try som support uder the knee. Good luck in your comfort choice.
    "It's like a giant net for catching lazy people"
    "You never see anyone crying in a hammock" -Jim Gaffigan on Hammocks
    NorseAmerican

Golfer,
    I am 5' 7" and (cough, cough) 186 lbs.
    Being that short, I didn't think I would have a problem with the Clark.
    I love the extra pockets on the side, and it is a sweet design.
    I'm just wondering if I am doing my setup wrong, and also, what extra touches on the hook ups you guys would suggest for quick setup and break down I could add to the basic Clark lines?
    Lyndon

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Those bridge type hammocks, I wonder how much those poles "break down". I'm trying to keep my load under 45 pounds this summer on the bike. You gotta lug a lot of water in some parts.
    I really like the bridge hammock design. BUT one thing it does not do as well as a wide gathered end hammock is let you curl. I know the leg cramp thing and I know the need to in a hurry stretch a muscle a different way. The walls of the bridge hammock get in the way of going fetal.

I can't speak to Clark's myself because I've not been in one. That said, they do appear to share the design philosophy of the Claytor of being narrow, to be strung tightly to get flat. The fabric dimensions I've seen reported confirm that.

Grizz

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Golfer,
    I am 5' 7" and (cough, cough) 186 lbs.
    You're a good candidate for the HH Expedition then.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast