Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Using Structural ridgeline inside Guardian bugnet?

So I haven't had time to go out and test this and was wondering if anyone else has already done this and can warn me of anything.

I plan to hang my tarp on a continual ridgeline with the guardian bugnet underneath the tarp (but on the same ridgeline).

I want to try a structural ridgeline for that sag, I thought about putting the bugnet on that line instead but I want to have a spot to put my book and mp3 player as I doze off to sleep.

So are there any gotchas I need to be aware of when using the bugnet and a structural ridgeline? Am I better off using a gear hammock underneath mine and dropping the book in when I go to sleep?

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A couple of ideas come to mind. First, I would not use the tarp CRL - when you get in the hammock it will lower with your weight, most likely stretching the bugnet too far between the bottom of the hammock and CRL and breaking the little clips on the Guardian. And, I don't know if I want those clips moving against the tarp over the long term. Second, you have a wonderful place to keep small items - the bottom of the net. Since it is an enclosed system, you can drop your gear below you and it will be within reach and off the ground.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Profly
    Insulation
    KAQ-UQ/UGQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas straps
    Images
    I have a structural ridgeline on my hammock and I use tat inside the guardian bugnet to keep the bugnet up and out of my face. I don't string up the bugnet with any additional ridgeline or string. Its worked perfectly fine for me so far. I don't use the clips on the bugnet, when I set it up I just run it through the hold hammock ridgeline and all and so the structural ridgeline is inside the bugnet as well and bammo done! no issues w/ stretch or anything. Don't bother with those clips, u don't need to actually clip them in, just run it inside the bugnet and u'll still have ur ridgeline to hang stuff on as the bugnet sits ontop of it. I cut all the clips off to save even more weight =p

I agree with historyteacher tho, don't use the crl from the tarp, the extra rubbing may wear out ur weather coating on the tarp faster then u think.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    A ridgeline organizer for your structural ridgeline would be helpful for stowing things. I agree with the others, use the SRL to support the bugnet. This will also allow you to adjust the height of your tarp to where you want/need it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks guys! I just have one of those heavy duty blue tarps and it hadn't occurred to me that those clips would wear on the tarp.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    I don't use a SRL on my hammock, so I was planning to use my tarps CRL for the guardian as well. Never thought about wear and tear on the tarp... But I really don't want to use a SRL... Would a different bug net offer better options for me? I don't HAVE TO get a guardian.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post
    I don't use a SRL on my hammock, so I was planning to use my tarps CRL for the guardian as well. Never thought about wear and tear on the tarp... But I really don't want to use a SRL... Would a different bug net offer better options for me? I don't HAVE TO get a guardian.
    Most bug nets that I've seen need a hammock ridge line to keep it off your face. The ridge line doesn't have to be structural, it can be adjustable to hold up the net, hold an organizer, clip your light to it, hang your hat...etc.

When I was using the Guardian net I took the line that came with it for the outside support and made a ridge line on the hammock with it. I also tied a short piece of shock cord to one end of the net to pull it up a little more, hooking it with a small biner to my whoopie to hold it higher off the ground. I hated it to drag the ground.

I meant to add, I use a Warbonnet Travel Net now and still use the same method to support it. I like it better because it's lighter and the zipper is horizontal instead of vertical, making it a lot easier to enter & exit the hammock.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    The WB Travel net does look nice (lighter, easier to get in/out of...). I was concerned at first that it might be too short because it says it fits their travel hammock "(or a similar or shorter length hammock)" and I didn't know if the ENO qualified, but looking at the measurements, the ENO is actually shorter. (It doesn't seem short to me; are other hammocks really that much longer?) And the WB net is lighter and cheaper than the Wilderness Logics net, another one I was looking at, so I'm sold!

So, the ridgeline just runs right through the center of the net, and cinches closed on the ends somehow? Wow, I have so much to learn... :-)

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jennalyn216 View Post
    The WB Travel net does look nice (lighter, easier to get in/out of...). I was concerned at first that it might be too short because it says it fits their travel hammock "(or a similar or shorter length hammock)" and I didn't know if the ENO qualified, but looking at the measurements, the ENO is actually shorter. (It doesn't seem short to me; are other hammocks really that much longer?) And the WB net is lighter and cheaper than the Wilderness Logics net, another one I was looking at, so I'm sold!

So, the ridgeline just runs right through the center of the net, and cinches closed on the ends somehow? Wow, I have so much to learn... :-)
    Yes, You just run the ridgeline thats attached to your hammock through the WB Travel Net and the net closes at the end of the hammock with Omni Tape. My hammock is 11 foot long and I modded my WBTN to extend it to fit since its essentually made for a 10 foot hammock. The mod is made & sold by 2Q ZQ at Hammock Specialties.
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 09-14-2013 at 04:23.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

Structural ridgeline inside guardian bugnet

I have an ENO DN with a structural ridgeline that I use inside my guardian bugnet. I added prussic loops on the whoopie slings above the carabiner that I clip the bugnet ridgeline into with s-biners. I first tried the bugnet without it's own ridgeline but I did not like the way the bugnet droopped an hung only a few inches from my face. With it's own ridgeline the bugnet sits above the hammock ridgeline providing easy access to my ridgline organizer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast