Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    One thing I don't miss about working in the bush is bushwhacking in Northern Ontario. It's usually more akin to crawling with how thick the underbrush is. Have fun and stay safe. There aren't a lot of people out there.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Did a test hang last night, just the sleeping bag and liner, tshirt and jogging pants. Was 0'C when I woke up at 5AM (my normal wake up time btw).
    A couple notes from this test....
    Although you guys where partly correct with shoulders and butt being cool with no mat or underquilt, it was not bad and by far better then previous tenting trips without insulation at this time of year (attributed to new liner design). Can easily live with it, but why when I have 5 days to address (picking up a mat and modifying liner).
    The eno dd deluxe is huge. Was able to wrap it over myself, even while laying diagonally. This kept the air within the hammock warmer.
    I still had a bit of an issue setting down. Probably not related to the hammock however.
    Last note, if you have an outdoor cat, hang higher up. Our cat would not get out from under the hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    To the ground you only have to worry about conductive heat loss. In a hammock you contend with convection, making your under insulation much more important.

It's been too long since my heat transfer classes, but basically convection is some LARGE factor more efficient at removing heat than conduction. In a hammock you're 20*F bag - compressed under you - wouldn't even keep you warm at 40*F. You'd feel warm on top, and cold underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Mike View Post
    I'm old enough to know better then to argue with experience, so I'll be looking at picking up a mat before heading out (budget and time not going to permit underquilt thoughts).
    Found a pair of trees in the yard to test hang in the yard. Not great trees (pine and a maple). View also sucks as its behind the garage, but it will work. Going to be 0'C or -1'C tonight, so we'll see how the setup works (without a mat until I can get to town).
    Did a test hang last night, just the sleeping bag and liner, tshirt and jogging pants. Was 0'C when I woke up at 5AM (my normal wake up time btw).
    Although you guys where partly correct with shoulders and butt being cool with no mat or underquilt, it was not bad and by far better then previous tenting trips without insulation at this time of year (attributed to new liner design). Can easily live with it, but why when I have 5 days to address (picking up a mat and modifying liner).
    The eno dd deluxe is huge. Was able to wrap it over myself, even while laying diagonally. This kept the air within the hammock warmer.
    I still had a bit of an issue setting down. Probably not related to the hammock however.
    Last note, if you have an outdoor cat, hang higher up. Our cat would not get out from under the hammock.
    As I read the last part of this thread, I was also wondering: do you have a pad(mat)? Then I saw you were planning on getting one.

But your test shows that as long as temps are not lower than 0C(at which point it was "was not bad") and you keep dry and are able to block the wind, you should be OK. I know your liner is synthetic, and I suspect your bag is synthetic, correct? Because synthetics don't compress near as much as down, so you will still get some under insulation from them, though not near as much as on the totally uncompressed top layer. You will also get a bit of added warmth from any poorly compressing synthetic clothing you might sleep in.

But the two huge ( even more so than usual in a hammock than on the ground in my experience) factors are keeping very dry and blocking any wind. If it is 32C plus a breeze or wind is blowing under the hammock, getting past the tarp, the difference will be very noticeable with no pad, compared to no wind. The dif can even be noticeable with an UQ. There has been many a time where I have been hanging with no UQ or pad in fairly warm weather with no tarp, feeling fine, until a big breeze comes along. Then I might not even notice it on top, but my back quickly feels uncomfortably cold. I have even been hanging with an UQ in temps warmer than the UQ's rating, with my back feeling toasty warm, and when the wind blows I can tell quite the difference. And if you have even a slight amount of dampness from sweat going on, that wind will also cause evaporative cooling to ramp up, a major factor.

But that is where the pad comes in, it will also block the wind. But without the pad, just make sure you are getting all the wind blocked with the tarp. Believe us, there has been many a frozen butt/back surprise around here in hammocks for people who had never been cold on the ground.

Then again, you are a hardy Canadian, and probably deal with the cold better than I do! But if you take a pad, you will add tremendously to your safety reserve. Plus, it makes it nice for sitting around camp. ( if you use it for that, just be careful not to carry any ground litter back into your hammock where it might cause a tear in the hammock)

Have fun, be safe, sounds like quite the adventure, and let us know how it goes!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Thanks for the information everyone.
    Will look into the underquilt once this is trip completed.

It was pretty damp last last night, but will make sure to keep everything dry on the trip and the tarp low to the ground.

This is the frost after the sun came up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Have a fun trip.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    Just wanted to comment on the bulk of quilts.
    They may look bulky but they are not. When I started hammocking, I used a 20f synthetic mummy bag and and because of too much volume, switched it out for a 20f extra wide down top quilt and a 0f 3/4 down under quilt. My quilts are easily only 1/3 the size of my sleeping bag when packed. I can now fit food AND clothing.
    I used to carry a lot of my gear strapped to the outside of my pack in order to fit it all, but it all fits in my pack now.
    And weighs a bit less too.
    If you already have a down sleeping bag, they should be about equal.

Also enjoy your trip and have fun with your new gear. I love trying out new toys.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Go to youtube and search loner2012at #20.

Thats his gear video and he did the entire AT with a hammock setup and a 20L Terra Nova laser elite pack at a base weight of about 9# less his ski poles adn that pack lasted the entire trip and he bought it used. That inspired me to try a Terra Nova laser Ultra cuben pack that weighs 4oz that I found used for a summer pack but they are really small.

A Cuben Zpacks Zero with mesh pockets and a mesh back would be better and a Zpacks Arc Blast 60L pack Even better yet with a lot more room and a frame.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Glad to hear that everything went well. I hope that your trip is comfortable and fun!

And I hear you on the cat...mine like to watch the hammock from up close. Fortunately, none of 'em has taken to sharpening their claws on the fabric......yet...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    This wide 1/4" pad is made especially for hammocks.

One suggestion is to lie on the pad (on the floor) and have someone trace an outline around you with a marker. You can then cut as generously as you want. This eliminates surplus pad at the edges.

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    The way I see it, it's not really an issue...

My hammock rolls up into a package about 4" x 10" (or 3x12, depending on where I bend it), which is way smaller than the tent I'd have to carry, so there's some space saved there.

My down sleeping bag (which I use as a top quilt) is something else I have to carry, hammocking or tenting, so that's "volume-neutral".

My tarp is about the size of a large orange/small grapefruit, so maybe that's "extra".

My down underquilt squishes down to about the size of a cantaloupe.

If I didn't hammock, my sleeping pad would be a LOT bigger than the UQ and Tarp... so I see it as less bulky overall. Hope that makes sense.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast