Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    One suggestion is to lie on the pad (on the floor) and have someone trace an outline around you with a marker. You can then cut as generously as you want. This eliminates surplus pad at the edges.
    I'd have someone trace my profile while laying in my hammock.

Your profile in a hammock will take up more space on the pad than on the floor... you can sleep on a pad about 18" wide on the floor... but to have adequate insulation under your shoulders in a hammock requires about 24" (hence the 'wings' needed with a standard foam pad). ymmv.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I had a north face cats meow bag... It was about the size of a basketball. My quilt set is about the same size, and lighter, so it's really not that much to carry, it's not like two sleeping bags.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    Winter fat
    Sorry for the delay in replying to the thread.
    The trip was great, other then the huge down pour the first day/night and missed views on day 1.
    I ended up not bringing a pad to try and cut down on stuff as the terrain and weather was going to be bad.
    First night was almost too warm with sleeping bag (with DIY liner) and sleeping clothes.
    Second night was ok until the wolves woke me up and I left the hammock to pee (as a result of being awake). Had a chill I couldn't shake after that. We where on the wrong side of the small hill top lake so the wind was hitting us as well all night. Guessing we where around -5'C with the windchill.
    The third night was a good sheltered location, but a cool night (0'C plus windchill).
    Didn't get out of the hammock, so was toasty warm until I got out into the cold damp air.

I'll have another thread coming up with all the pictures and write up about the trail. The trail was Heaven's Gate, here in Northern Ontario.

I'll share the view I had day 3 before I through over the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I use a 13L Sea to Summit Event dry bag for my quilts. It is a weight penalty but they have never gotten wet through the worst of weather. I can stuff my underquilt, topquilt, and puffy jacket and have some room to spare. The bag is an oblong shape and fits well on the bottom of the pack, a Granite Gear Ozone.

Images
    i carry a golite pinnacle 4000 cu in. it weights 2 lb. i have been criticized on trail for carrying such a heavy pack. it looks heavy even at 20 lbs. since it has side cinch straps i can compress stuff in it without putting quilts in stuff sacks. the top rolls down and bottom clips up and becomes 2000 cu in when i get to resupply.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Netty Hammeck
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 uq
    Suspension
    straps & rings
    Images
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere in there, but what was your final pack weight and which pack did you use... the 30l or the 50l?

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345