Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    If you're in a hunched position, that means that your upper body has slipped downward towards the middle of the hammock. As Jayson said earlier, really raise your foot end up so the slope towards the head end is visible on the ridge line. You will find that:

1. Your upper body feels more supported and straight.

2. The area around your feet opens up and the whole hammock seems more roomy. Then you'll be able to lay flat on the diagonal.

It may not seem intuitive, but it's the biggest mistake I've seen people make when they're complaining about comfort.
    To illustrate what I'm talking about, look at how our patron saint hangs his...

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/gear...leeves-review/
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    TLG Single
    If you're uncomfortable in a hammock, try a tent for a few nights. You'll go running back to the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Suspension
    Strap and beans.
    Quote Originally Posted by COhiker2013 View Post
    If you're uncomfortable in a hammock, try a tent for a few nights. You'll go running back to the hammock.
    I'd take a lousy hang over a tent any day.

If I set up the WBBB as recommended I go to sleep comfortably but wake with an aching back, not shoulder squeeze but a dull ache on my upper back. To stop this I have found I need to have the ridge line really slack so much so that I have fitted an adjustable ridge line just so it does not hang down. I think it is good to start with recommended set up but don't b worried about trying something quite different if it is not working for you

As far as Hammock type it is totally a personal preference thing.It took two nights in a ridge runner to know 100% that they are not for me,but a lot of people love them.My WBBB is pretty comfy for me even though I dont always sleep perfect but I still wake up pretty rested.I like to condition myself by sleeping in my yard multiple nights in a row and have found that the serenity is addictive.My wife is actually worried the neighbors might notice and think I am some sort of weirdo.I LOVE going out at 10pm to read with the intention of coming back in to sleep.Does not happen.As long as you get set up so you can stay warm you will find a position to sleep comfortably.Dutchs quilt clips really made the difference as winter arrived. Keeps any shifting of the underquilt to a minimum.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridgecreek XL
    Suspension
    Myers Tech

Well stated

Quote Originally Posted by SMJerry View Post
    For what its worth.. Everyone will have their opinion on how this is supposed to work.. and everyone will be right.. it is a personal thing. All I can definitively say is that I sleep like crap on the ground in a tent... no matter how many nights or how tired I get... I know that I camp more now because of the hammock and the great slumber I fall into.
    Can you tell we love our hammocks?
    I couldn't agree more! I love the outdoors, but can not sleep on the ground unless I carry a huge blow up mattress. My pack is not big enough for that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234