Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag

Any JRB 8 X 8 Tarp users

The stock HH tarp on the Exped asym looks small. I know with proper set up this should not be a problem in rain, but, more protection cant hurt right ? Anybody currently using the JRB 8X8 tarp with there set up ? Workin good/bad ?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by IAhanger View Post
    The stock HH tarp on the Exped asym looks small. I know with proper set up this should not be a problem in rain, but, more protection cant hurt right ? Anybody currently using the JRB 8X8 tarp with there set up ? Workin good/bad ?
    I started of out with a JRB 8x8 for my HH Exped. The first trip was a rainy weekend and I could not get the 8x8 to cover everything, out of paranoia I carried the HH stock tarp too and ended up using them both:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=8613

Pan said the 8x8 could provide enough cover for the Exped but with very little room for error, since I was new to hammocking he suggested a Mac Cat deluxe. My wife has used the 8x8 over her ULB and it provides plenty of coverage.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    Thats what Im worried about, cutting it too close. Dont want to wake up swimming !
    On the JRB site it appears that the 8 x 8 has more than enough coverage. The two tarp set up looks good, plenty of coverage !

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I have one that I have used on Clark UL, Mosquito hammocks, and use for my daughter's bridge. If you plan on using pads I think it would be a great choice but with UQ's you don't have any room for error. Before I made my Cuben tarp this was my choice when I was trying to pack "light"

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

User

I use the JRB 8X8 sometimes. However, I use a poncho most of the time for my HH. The secret to using a smaller tarp is to supplement with "socks". On the foot end I use my DriDucks jacket as a sock and on the head end I use a small piece of SpinnTex. Both are held in place with binderclips.

A lot depends on your hiking style. On a group trip I used my MacCat Deluxe. On a rainy evening the group asked if I would unhook my hammock so they could use it as a dining fly. After dinner I moved my hammock because IMO it is a bad idea to sleep directly above food crumbs and spills.

The ridgeline on the JRB 8X8 is only three inches longer than a GoLite poncho, but it blocks the wind much better.

The MacCat Deluxe is a great dining fly and very stable in heavy weather.

My job is complete if you are now more confused.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IAhanger View Post
    The stock HH tarp on the Exped asym looks small. I know with proper set up this should not be a problem in rain, but, more protection cant hurt right ?
    I too have a HH and use a larger tarp, either the Hennessey Hex or an Integral Designs 8X10. Heck sometimes I'll even go crazy and set up the Kelty Noah's 12X12.

Having said that, the stock tarp has never failed me. I have been in the rain in numerous places and never gotten wet. My reason for the larger tarp is purely for space underneath to hang two hammocks. (When my wife joins me I set up a honey moon suite using 2 or 3 trees and the larger tarps.) Also, if I am car camping I tend to go with the larger tarp since I bring more toys.

My reason for mentioning this is to encourage you to look and try different set ups, but not to rush into it out of fear of getting soggy in the stock tarp.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    the tarp to small anything i use,its not 8x8 its 7 ft 2 in x 7 ft 2in.it does work ok with hennessey hammock that are 8 ft longneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag
    An UQ is on the list for sure. The second reason for the larger tarp was so I could hang two hammocks under one tarp. The wife dont know it yet but the second HH at the house is hers. Since the family does follow along on hikes I end up being the pack mule, so for now anyway the extra weight of a larger tarp(s) isnt a concern. The socks idea, I have some left over 1.3 RS from a DIY tarp its light weight and should work fine, any one have links to a template for the socks ?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Have you checked out the JRB 11x10. It's huge!

Even with the MacCat Deluxe I was in a few storms where even though I didn't get wet I slept with one eye open all night. With the 11 X 10 I've been under it during torrential downpours without a worry and got a perfect nights sleep.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have been using the JRB 8x8 with my HH ULB and my Travel Light for about three years and with an underquilt. Absolutely no problems even in a few serious thunderstorms.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast