Question Cheap effective alternative to a Down Underquilt

Hello there Hammock Forum!

This is my first post so hang in there with me (pun intended). This past summer season I had a few trips up to the Superior Hiking Trail with some friends. Prior to my adventure I made myself a down top quilt, which I am very proud of. It's a project I never want to undertake again, so a DIY down underquilt, not going to happen. The mean temperatures during my hikes were between 40-80, so at night there was obviously a need for some bottom insulation. I had been suggested by a friend to use a car wind shield reflector shade device, its made of reflectix which is what most people use for pot cozys. It was big enough for my person, but it just slide around and always got out from under me (I use a hennessy hammock btw). Now I recently came across a new reflective device, simply called the Blizzard Survival Blanket. It uses the principles of mylar technology, while integrating dead air space by making several layers of trangular shaped ridges. I have one of their bivys, and they kept me warm in chilly temps. Now I am just curious if it would be smart, or realistic to use one of these blankets with those triangular underquilt suspension devices to hang it beneath me, and if that would in fact would make a good insulating device. Any thoughts??

Hammock
    DL with Bug Net
    Tarp
    Guid Gear Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Down UQ, SB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Cheap effective alternative to a Down Underquilt

That is a interesting question and one I look forward to hearing some other people's thoughts on, but I think when it boils down to it everybody is different and that being said the best way to find out is to test the theory in a safe environment like an over nite hang at the homestead if you are able,

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    I personally think that you would be better off with some sort of underquilt. The temperature range that you are tlking about on those 40 degree nights would get a little chilly. ANother thing to worry about with a nonbreathable substance like that is condensation, and at 40 you will probably be getting some.

THere are a ton of vendors that make some really good quilts. But if cost is a concern there are two options that I usually suggest, all of the kick *** quilts are top notch synthetic quilts. I have the Jarbidge and I love it, I used it this year down to about 42 during my BWCA trip. With a smaller quilt like that you need something for your feet, I used an inflatable sit pad from REI. The second option is only partially DIY underquilts.com sells the underquilts shells. You fill it sew one end and add your suspension. Unless you have a cheap source of down these are only slightly cheaper than one of the vendors ready made quilts.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I was looking at the uq shells, and an argon full length shell is 100, then adding 15oz of down for a 3-season would bring it to around 250.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhart View Post
    It uses the principles of mylar technology, while integrating dead air space by making several layers of trangular shaped ridges. I have one of their bivys, and they kept me warm in chilly temps.
    As rcam said, try it out, especially if you are happy with your bivvy.
    The (small amount of) trapped air /loft may make it an improvement over a sheet of plastic.
    However so-called space blankets have been around for a very long time, and the idea of the 'reflective power' has been pretty well debunked. You would be just as warm in a plastic bag as in a 'space blanket', IMO. Correction: if you find you can warm yourself on a cold day by placing a mirror under your jacket, you may be a good candidate for reflective mylar.

Under-insulation (pad or quilt) with lots of trapped air in very small pockets will keep you warm. Vapor barrier clothing or bag liner will help keep you warm and your insulation dry in cold weather. Those are both tried-and-true ideas you should add to your list.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

I noticed that you have a Hennessy Hammock. I can't say enough good things about my experience with their Super Shelter. Have you considered this in combination with your top quilt? It is relatively affordable (compared to down) and really is as effective as implied, even into the temps you're going into.

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

+1 in underquilts.com

I bought a well worn sleeping bag on eBay for $55 (got 31 ounces of approx. 800 FP down out of it). I bought two torso length underquilt shells for $50 each (one for me, one for my son). The weight difference on a torso length is not big enough for the cost in my situation.

So I am have 20F or lower quilts for less than $75 each (I have left over down for a pair of sleeping bags to top quilts project).

The quality of the underquilts.com product is terrific.

• + New Posts