Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overwhelmed!!!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Thanks for the advice. I'll update once I figure out what I want.

Hammock
    DangerBird 72
    Tarp
    Kelty 12' for now
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20°
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, DIY
    I got Dangerbird #119 and just love it. BUT! Many things that I wanted but Randy didn't have available are now options in the Thunderbird. Having slept hundreds of nights now in the DB72, here's what I'd get in the Thunderbird...

11' x 72" (I love the roomier size and more comfortable lay it affords, can even sit up and change your shirt without unzipping or leaning). I like the crinkle taffeta, it feels warmer/smoother/nicer on skin than nylon, and would get it again. I got double layer to foil the skeeters without chemicals and would do that again. I would get camo outside if possible and darker than I have inside. I would get a darker overcover so I could fall asleep earlier or sleep in later. I would really press hard to get middle opening zips on both sides for both covers like 2QZQ option #4 for Hennessy Hammocks. I would really try hard to get covers that were symmetrical as I flop diagonals when I change sides. Without covers the hammock is symmetrical. The cover makes it asym. I want to lay either way facing out without a tall wall of fabric in my face. I'm just weird that way, but it's my dream hammock, right?

I didn't think Randy could out-do himself, but the Thunderbird showed me he is yet a visionary as well as a craftsman. He has made several improvements and I'm strongly thinking of updating to Thunderbird. Randy's designs are closest to what I'd make for myself if I had his skill.

Seriously, I sleep in my DB72 indoors and out, more nights of the week than my bed. I use the bed when I have to wake up at 4:30 for work, it's easier to leave than the comfort of the hammock (and it is a select comfort). It has held up very well for all the use it has gotten. (close to 300 nights) Only one loop at the head pulled out on one side, but that was due to my poor rigging and excessive strain I put on it, the loop material unravelled under the strain.

I am not a backpacker and I don't like setting camp away from my bike, so a larger heavier hammock is no drawback for me. Your needs and wishes will help you fulfill your Dream Hammock!

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird 11ft
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Thanks for the well thought out comment. You have given me plenty to think about.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    TQ
    Suspension
    Custom Dutch
    Argghh,these are really the top hammocks in my view.

Quick question: Does the DWR finish on the 1.1 ripstop make it less breathable compared to pure finish of 1.0 for example?

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake_gl View Post
    Argghh,these are really the top hammocks in my view.

Quick question: Does the DWR finish on the 1.1 ripstop make it less breathable compared to pure finish of 1.0 for example?
    I just sent Randy an email asking this same question.. i will post his answer when i get it.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Get the quilt hooks on whichever hammock you decide on, they are great. Randy does awesome work. The night grid camo is amazing, and I got the coyote inside layer and the colors look great together, with the coyote top cover.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Quake_gl View Post
    I guess I didn't really give sunshower a straight answer on this so I'll post it here.

For a long time I thought that a DWR treated fabric did reduce it's breathability and a few months back there was a similar question concerning sock fabrics.
    Brandon @ Warbonnet set us all straight saying that DWR does not really affect the breathability of the fabric.

I guess the next question is: Would a DWR treated fabric likely trap more moisture inside the hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    My next hammock I get will be the Thunderbird in MARPAT, I might sell my Warbonnet.
    Nothing I do is done by popular demand.
    Steve Martin

I chose mine based on other hammock sizes I had tried.

That being said, if you don't know...
    Call Randy. You can email too, everyone love the email because its so easy and impersonal... But Randy is totally a guy who lives somewhere, knows a ton about hammocks and makes (at least part of) his living selling them.
    So call him up and chat person to person about what you have tried, what you normally like and ask him what he thinks, I am sure he can get you sorted.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12