Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new user

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    I personally love the slipperiness of sil - it's the first fabric I truly learned to sew on, and I take advantage of it's unique characteristics to make my life a bit easier. But Cannibal is right - stuff sacks are the way to go to get used to sewing with all of their close up action and tight tolerances.

Glad the tarp meets to your approval . Let me know if you need any scrap supplies or whatnot and I can get you a few mailed out if need be.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I personally love the slipperiness of sil - it's the first fabric I truly learned to sew on, and I take advantage of it's unique characteristics to make my life a bit easier.

Do tell. I guess I could cover the stairs to the basement with sil and make my trips down to the Man Cave/Laboratory a little faster, but other than that....?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you really want to do a tarp make a PU coated one first. Then make silnyl stuff sacks. The sheer size of the tarp is what is tough to deal with as an early project. The PU coated fabric is much easier to handle. Then you can tackle the slippery sil and it can be a bear to get under control.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Ramblin has some sound advice - especially since PU fabric can be much cheaper than silnylon, it would be a good 'first step' towards a larger sil tarp.

Cannibal - I have unknowingly and unwittingly acquired the skill of not only walking on sil while climbing up/down stairs carrying fabric up from my garage, but also the skill of walking on 15+ loose layers of silnylon on a hardwood floor (**Don't try this at home!**). Heh, the things we take pride in in this world.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Cannibal - I have unknowingly and unwittingly acquired the skill of not only walking on sil while climbing up/down stairs carrying fabric up from my garage, but also the skill of walking on 15+ loose layers of silnylon on a hardwood floor (**Don't try this at home!**). Heh, the things we take pride in in this world.
    You're my new hero! I once busted my butt stepping on a piece of sil that was about 8" square. It was on carpet, but still...layers! You should join a circus.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat std
    haha thanks for all the help guys. ill keep all of your advice in mind. I was wondering what would be the best place to buy gear project fabric would be, I bought what seems like 1.9 ripstop from jo ann fabrics but they had a limited selection of anything? I have looked at thru-hiker and was just wondering if this would be the best and or cheapest place to purchase fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    A square/rectangular tarp isn't so bad. Curves, ie cat curves, are a whole 'nother story!

The issues with tarps, in addition to slipperyness, are the volume of fabric to handle, and the long lines of stitching. With volume you need lots of space. For the long lines, you need to be patient and careful to keep the seam widths uniform.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    If you're not wanting to spend a whole bunch on silnylon, look into the seconds of 1.1oz silnyon at Outdoor wilderness fabrics http://www.owfinc.com/ I call them to order and also asked if they give a boy scouter discount (yes!!!) Shipping is by slow mule but again if you're wanting to save a little and you've got the time to wait....

About the sewing of silnylon, I found that the silnylon must have grimlins hiding under it because every time I laided it out and would turn around to do something else, the silnylon would not just shift but would completely slide off the table. Even if no part of it was hanging over the sides, it would still slide away from me. I had to put some very creative paperweights down on it to make it stay put. Also if you're gonna sew something like a tarp, you can not use pins to keep the layers together because you will have to seam seal every single hole that you poke into the silnylon!!! I have a walking foot on my sewing machine that helps keep the layers feeding correctly under the sewing needle. Still I can only sew a few inches before having to straighten up what's going next to be sewed. Always sew with 100% polyester thread (check your thread to make sure it's not polyester covered cotton) I've made all different sizes of sil stuff bags and when I'm headed out camping, I go through my collection and find the just right size for my stuff on that trip. Hope some of these ideas will help.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post

About the sewing of silnylon, I found that the silnylon must have grimlins hiding under it because every time I laided it out and would turn around to do something else, the silnylon would not just shift but would completely slide off the table. Even if no part of it was hanging over the sides, it would still slide away from me. I had to put some very creative paperweights down on it to make it stay put. Also if you're gonna sew something like a tarp, you can not use pins to keep the layers together because you will have to seam seal every single hole that you poke into the silnylon!!!
    Clothespins!

Tape!

Seriously - wrassling my way through making a Ray Way quilt taught me a lot about ripstop and making stuff sacks taught me I don't like sewing silnylon. You need a new needle for each project and keeping seams straight is as much fun as bathing my cat.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Also if you're gonna sew something like a tarp, you can not use pins to keep the layers together because you will have to seam seal every single hole that you poke into the silnylon!!!
    I beg to differ on that statement. Here is the reason. If you are sewing a flat felled seam for the ridgeline it is possible to pin on the selvage that will be folded into the seam and sealed Each one of those holes would be sealed by seam sealing the entire ridgeline seam which you would have to do anyway. Once you get the first seamline sewn you no longer need the pins as the fabric is solidly attached by the stitches.

Pinning the edges is another issue but there you can make a choice between sealing pin holes or figuring the pinholes around the edges are not a problem in terms of keeping you dry. Further... silnyl tends to mist through with heavy rains so how much a few pinholes would matter is again a personal decision.

Silnyl does have a mind of it's own. No question about that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast