DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings

Once again to Newton

Put the sewless pole mod on my Superfly at the Newton Big Bird model airplane fly in this weekend.

I used my new Tablecloth Dbl hammock with a wally world pad in it and my normal insulated blanket. Wunderground says the low was 44 degrees BUT when we got up, those that had their airplanes out and uncovered had ice on their wings, so I think it was a bit cooler in our area or at least there was a goodly cold breeze a blowin. I woke up at 2ish to answer natures call and again at 6:45 to get the day going, it was warmer at 6:45 judging by my nose but I don't recall a single shiver myself and I have shivered here before. I did bring back my tie downs to bring the sides closer to the ground after I took this picture. It made it through the winds of the day which really weren't more then 10mph. I used Coleman poles from the discount isle at Walmart, but I think I'll go find some thinner poles as these are way to stout for the job, though they do the job. Lotsa room under that dome.

Can't believe it but that is one of the only 3 pictures I took. There were a bunch of planes but I guess I was just too busy having a good time. Bad videographer Mr Clean. Here is a picture of my buddies "SloBoat", the RX eviently was a suspected bad RX. Confirmed!

Just your average 30 cents of plastic with about 25 bucks of gear in it. Tis a silly thing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Speaking of low-bucks RC airframes....

I always forget to ask... are you the MrClean I remember from the days when I used to fly SPADs? (Actually, I still do once in a while....) I never met MrClean, but remember the name on the SPAD website and forums where I got my plans and info.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    One and the same. I think I'm the last of the original SPAD website guys. Everybody else has moved on.

that don't make me any gooder though.

By the way, SPADfest 2014 will be in Council Bluffs, IA

Don't know the date yet but early June usually.
    Last edited by MrClean417; 09-15-2013 at 18:47.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    You and the original guys did a wonderful thing, sharing all that SPAD info.

Like a lot of guys, I grew up lusting for an RC airplane as a young teenager in the '70s. I messed with some control line models but didn't have the cash for RC. Many years later, I suddenly got the urge again. I bought a .40-sized trainer and immediately crashed it. I rebuilt it and crashed it again. I bought another one and crashed a few more times. Then, I stumbled onto the SPAD site.

I built a Dominator and crashed my way to success... taught myself to fly RC. I later found out there was an R/C club that flew from a field just eight miles from my house! I joined up and they were all amazed that I taught myself to fly with no help or buddy box flying. They were intrigued by the SPAD, but only one guy built one (he built a trainer that is still used by the club!). A guy from another nearby club saw me flying the SPAD and had me come to his club field to demonstrate it for the members. Again, they were very impressed, but only one guy expressed interest and later came to my house to build one.

I always keep at least one Dominator ready to fly, and my basement is stocked with enough materials to build a small SPAD air force. :-) I was hoping the guys would get interested in combat flying so I was ready to crank out some airframes. No interest. I'm about to give a new flying buddy the materials and plans to build a Dominator. I know he'll want to try some ribbon-cutting!

Back on topic... I just did a no-sew pole mod to my Superfly and tested it out on a rainy night this week. It passed with flying colors. My Warbonnet XLC hammock has side tie-outs, and with a tarp pitched, the area around the hammock is a trip field. Using the side pulls on the Superfly makes it even harder to navigate around the hammock area without tripping or getting clothes-lined. The pole mod helps reduce the hazard a bit. I like it.

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I just like reducing the amount of drippage I get when I get out and invariably bump the fly, making a little monsoon under the tarp. Can't believe in a place that was so dry I had so much condensation on the tarp. There wasn't any breeze at night so I'm guessing the inside condensation is mine but outside was just as wet.

• + New Posts