Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugfit Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Late Night DIY (First DIY)

Ok, backstory on this DIY goes like this:

Hooch, the wonderful boyfriend that he is, bought me a Speer SPE (Pad Extender) and I like it. The problem that I've run into now is that I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger Long 15 degree bag that I LOVE!! It has no bottom insulation, but a pad sleeve, and that is where I used to put my thermarest. Now my thermarest goes in the SPE.

Hooch and I discussed that the lack of under insulation with my bag could be a problem and he recommended that on our upcoming overnight that I take my ridgerest as well and put it in the bag sleeve. I couldn't get my head around carrying two full pads and the wing inserts for the SPE and have been pondering this extensively.

In the middle of the night last night......It hit me! I had an idea!

I went to my junk/gear room and rummaged up a space blanket, orange duct tape, spray adhesive and heavy duty velcro

This is what I ended up with:

It is real primitive and the space blanket wrinkled and refused to cooperate with the spray adhesive but I measured my thermarest and divided the space blanket in sections of that width. Ended up about 2 and a half. I sprayed the middle with adhesive, folded in the half....sprayed that with adhesive and folded over the full side. Then for stability I bound the edges with duct tape, more on the ends than the sides, and attached velcro to the bag and my new creation.

I slid the blanket creation into the sleeve and hooked the velcro.....LIKE BUTTA!!!!! Fit like a dream. Got in the bag, zipped up and started rolling and moving...not much noise at all for a space blanket...I was very pleased. It fit so perfectly that it didn't move around either, no gaps.

Ok, so I'm going to try this out Sunday night on the trail. I think it's going to work like a charm. If anything it might be too warm. Tell me what you think...no holds barred....was I just kinda freaking out in my sleep or was this a good idea? Oh! and Hooch hasn't seen it yet!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hmmm. It's a neat idea. Not much of a space blanket user (I sweat too much), but I'm curious how it works out for you. That's a pretty inexpensive way to solve a problem. Hope it works!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sweet. Nice way to improvise.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

There is no difference in laying on the pad while in the sleeping bag vs the SPE. It is still there under you. Just take it and the wings for the SPE.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    There is no difference in laying on the pad while in the sleeping bag vs the SPE. It is still there under you. Just take it and the wings for the SPE.
    You keep trying to make things simple. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugfit Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

but the pad is in the SPE and the bottom of the sleeping bag has no insulation, if the bag were to twist around, my back or side would be exposed, or could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
    but the pad is in the SPE and the bottom of the sleeping bag has no insulation, if the bag were to twist around, my back or side would be exposed, or could be.
    then keep it in the bag so it is always under you. The bag will protect your sides just like if you are laying on the ground. Either way will work
    Last edited by Ewker; 03-31-2009 at 11:18.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Excellent idea, babe! We'll see how it works out this weekend on the trail. BTW, we're hiking Max Patch to Standing Bear Farm if anyone is interested in joining us.
    .......The bag will protect your sides just like if you are laying on the ground.......
    Sorry Ewker, we wouldn't know about laying on the ground.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Take note....Ewker is right on..... Bottoms are overrated....so say thousands of quilt (and open bags, like quilts) users....It is just a matter of turning in the bag vs turning the bag.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugfit Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Take note....Ewker is right on..... Bottoms are overrated....so say thousands of quilt (and open bags, like quilts) users....It is just a matter of turning in the bag vs turning the bag.

Pan
    I get that but I also know that I move around alot in my sleep and tend to move the sleeping bag with me. We'll see how it works out.

• + New Posts