Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Whoopie hook setup question

I received my whoopie hook setup from Dutchware last week. Finally got my Hennessy switched over today and set up in the yard. I ran into an issue with the whoopie slings seeming to stretch. I tightened everything up and got in for the first time and I sank all the way to the ground. The hammock was at about butt level when I got in. When I got out there was noticeably more sag than what I had originally. I tightened it up and tried it again. It didn't sag as much, but my rear was still brushing the ground. I'm not skinny by any means, but from everything I've read the whoopies should be able to support my weight, about 200 pounds. When I was taking everything down I noticed that the whoopie slings were discolored (whitened) as though they had stretched everywhere they were under the most stress. This was mostly at the continuous loop, the area at which the whoopie hook was, and some around the constriction area as well. Am I doing something wrong? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I would really like for this setup to work.

Thanks

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    That is unusual to say the least. There can be a slight amount od stretch from the amsteel the first time is under load. The whitish area doesn't bother me though. If this doesn't work out for you let me know I will replace or refund it. Everything I make is satisfaction guaranteed. The trees are big enough that they aren't bending are they?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I don't think the "trees" are an issue, although they may be. I actually had it set up between the kids playset and the fence post. I don't have two suitable trees in the yard. I'll try to get out this week and get it set up between two good sized trees and see if I still have an issue. Thanks for the quick reply, Dutch.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Did you milk the adjustable buries after adjusting the length? If not milked, they can slip. Are you using polyester straps from Dutch? Ask someone to watch and see if your anchor points are bending.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    One last thing. Bubba brings up a good point although I never milk my buries. You can take a sharpie and mark where it enters the bury to see if it is slipping. I'd like to find the cause because I have never heard of amsteel having this kind of stretch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Are you in the hammock, then they slip and you hit the ground? Or did you try sitting in the hammock and your butt went right to the ground?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm sure they were made correctly by Dutch but how long are the buries?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Sorry I didn't get back this afternoon, got tied up. I'll check everything out tomorrow morning and get back to everyone. I didn't milk the buries. I'm thinking they must have slipped. I'll try marking the cord and see if that is what happened.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I went to a local park this morning to try it out again. I had originally used the included hennessy straps with the whoopieslings. I used the straps from Dutch this time around. I set everything up with the hammock bottom about three feet off the ground. I milked the buries and marked the cord to check for slippage. When I got in I sank to about 8 inches from the ground. I got out and checked everything. Nothing had slipped or noticeably stretched. I tightened it up and got back in. This time I was about a foot or foot and a half off the ground. I can live with that. It doesn't seem that the whoopieslings or whoopie hook setup is the issue. I believe the hammock may be stretching. I've only set up the Hennessey a couple of times, and I had some sag with it too but blamed it on my knots. It should also be noted I am a complete noob to hammock camping. I think I need to get out and do some more playing around to get used to setting one up.
    Last edited by Czarlxxvii; 09-16-2013 at 10:15. Reason: I can't type on a phone

Images
    That's what I had a feeling was going on. It can be surprising how high you'll need to rig it to get off the ground. Ever set up a backyard rope hammock? those things need to be almost 4' off the ground to keep your rear from hitting the ground when you sit in it.
    Keep playing with it, you'll get the hang of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast