Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    You're sleeping naked outside on a 20-degree night in a 40-degree bag and you're shivering. Someone throws a 0-degree bag on top of you. Do you get warmer or colder?

You're sleeping naked outside on a 70-degree night in a 0-degree bag and you're really hot. You put on fleece long-johns. Do you get warmer or colder?

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Having been a paramedic for more years than I care to remember and having been an Instructor in Swift Water Rescue, I can only say that the major factor is moisture. By whatever means you use to rid yourself of the moisture, you won't get warm until you are dry. If your clothes are trapping the moisture, by all means shed some layers before climbing in your bag. That's why you remove the clothing from a person who is hypothermic and wet. If you are wearing the proper synthetics and your moisture is being wicked away, then keep your layers on to stay warm.

If you want a good warm boost before crawling in your bag, have a snack and some water before bed. Your body will generate more heat while digesting the snack, thereby keeping you warmer in your bag.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    Having been a paramedic for more years than I care to remember and having been an Instructor in Swift Water Rescue, I can only say that the major factor is moisture. By whatever means you use to rid yourself of the moisture, you won't get warm until you are dry. If your clothes are trapping the moisture, by all means shed some layers before climbing in your bag. That's why you remove the clothing from a person who is hypothermic and wet. If you are wearing the proper synthetics and your moisture is being wicked away, then keep your layers on to stay warm.

If you want a good warm boost before crawling in your bag, have a snack and some water before bed. Your body will generate more heat while digesting the snack, thereby keeping you warmer in your bag.
    I have to agree, but the issue that comes up here is then you have cold and wet or frozzen clothes to hike in the next day. Some people are all against it, but I have slept with damp clothes to dry them out. But always bring sleeping clothes, the filth is a little too much.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    very interresting thread here,
    What I've found through all my camping: if my sleeping bag is rated a bit colder for the temps I'm sleeping at (say a 30 degree bag for a 40 degree night) I can sleep w/out much on. But turn those numbers around, and I start layering what I'm wearing. Something I preach to my scouts: Cotton Kills !!! It gets wet, it stays wet and it gives you no insulation while wet. So no layering w/cotton (unless you're hiking in very dry hot locations) I layer w/silk (first layer) & wool (2nd layer if still cold). Use dedicated clothes that's just for sleeping, not what you wore during the day hiking. And always do some kind of clean-up at night (baby wipe bath!!). I used a silk liner w/sleeping bag (as others said, easier to wash then the bag) But a liner doesn't work so well for me in my hammock w/a quilt. I'm now thinking of adding a piece of wicking material to the back side of my quilt (will be adding this and testing soon) Another thing I've found out, to lighten my pack weight, I use a lighter quilt and layer my clothing at night. If you can carry the weight, then carry the heavyer quilt/sleepingbag and just sleep w/out the layers on!!!

Images
    I am partial to the theory that worst case, other than death, you can wear all the clothing in your pack and be in your setup and make it to 10 or 20 degrees colder than the lowest temp you except to see.

I had to do this a couple times with my jacket over my legs and my feet wrapped in my raincoat. I was fine, but man that was a cold night.

I tried a liner but could never get it to work. I guess I move around too much too. I always figured the clothes I was wearing did the same thing.

This is one of those debates that will keep going.

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have to agree, but the issue that comes up here is then you have cold and wet or frozzen clothes to hike in the next day. Some people are all against it, but I have slept with damp clothes to dry them out. But always bring sleeping clothes, the filth is a little too much.
    A compromise that i have tried is to stuff any damp clothes way to the foot of my bag. Not the best route to go, but it keeps you warmer than wearing the damp clothes, and hopefully your body heat plus any wicking from your bag will dry your clothes. Again, not the perfect scenario, but better than frozen clothes and frozen camper.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    A compromise that i have tried is to stuff any damp clothes way to the foot of my bag. Not the best route to go, but it keeps you warmer than wearing the damp clothes, and hopefully your body heat plus any wicking from your bag will dry your clothes. Again, not the perfect scenario, but better than frozen clothes and frozen camper.
    I do that with my shoes. Put them in my pack liner (turned inside out) and seal it up. Makes for a nasty steamy funk in the morning. But way better than frozen.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BlackBird!!!!
    Tarp
    BIG FLY (3x4m.)
    Insulation
    SnugFit & JRB HR
    Images

Neggidness

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The Stephenson's are advocates as you can tell from the pics. Some R-rated images at this link: Here.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    Isn't there a real danger of getting your man parts caught in the zipper if your naked?
    Ouch! I'm not even going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by archerm122 View Post
    It looks like enough people are signed up for the hang in Hot Springs. Do an experiment and get back to us.
    Did anyone try it? I made the Hot Springs hang but I didn't notice anyone running around neggid in the middle of the night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricegravy View Post

Did anyone try it? I made the Hot Springs hang but I didn't notice anyone running around neggid in the middle of the night.
    It was too hot to test keep warm variables. Under a very loosely draped 20* quilt and cotton sleep clothes, I woke up sweaty about 0200.

Now that summer is upon us and the snow has finally melted, here's an golden oldie from back in '09. A very interesting read with some great feedback!

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast