Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie

Building up the mileage in the Sierras.

The Tahoe Rim Trail trip is getting closer and closer and I'm getting worried about my state of fitness. So I'm pushing my mileages higher and higher.

Friday evening after work I drove up to Grouse Ridge and got severely rained on. Just as I got there the rain started to let up. I hiked in the 4 miles to Glacier Lake, the last mile or so by headlamp) and then continued down into the 5 lakes basin. I didn't find the lakes but I did find a nice spot to hang overnight.

I woke up late at 6 am and didn't get out of camp until almost 6:45. I climbed back up to Glacier lake to filter some water and started the real trip at about 7:15. The rest of the day would be spent hiking a 12 mile loop around the north end of the valley, over several hills to Penner Lake, and then back up the hill to Grouse Ridge. The first 6 miles were pretty easy, then the hills started. I got through the first, and biggest, hill which took me to Penner Lake and 7.5 miles into my hike. I had to stop to eat and filter some more water. I even set up the hammock to relax for a bit.

After a rest of about an hour I headed down to Island Lake where I apparently startled a nest of hornets. One of which got me on my arm. That wasn't too bad, I swatted it off before it stung me too deeply. The worst part was some very nasty chafing which I've never dealt with before. That made the last 3 miles a hot, burning hell. I don't think I've ever hit the wall so hard on a backpacking trip. I had zero energy and was in an amazing amount of pain. And of course, the last half a mile is all uphill to get back to the car.

I'm seriously rethinking the possibility of doing the Lake Tahoe trip. I'm going to be doing 5 to 6 mile hikes in the evenings to continue my training and distance work. And I've been reading up on how marathon runners deal with the chafing. Next weekend I'm going to go do the same 2 day trip to see if I can do better.

Thru hikers always say "Never quit on a bad day." Saturday was a pretty bad day, but by Sunday I felt fine again. I bounced right back. So I'm going to see if through a combination of better nutrition (I don't think I ate enough food or the proper quality of food) and chafing mitigation I can do 12 miles before noon. If I can do that then I would feel more confident about multiple 20 mile days.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Good luck Greg. We're rooting for you!

I was In your neck of the woods yesterday.. Made my way out to Beyers lake. Left Saturday and avoided the rain. I've been meaning to do the same north loop starting from grouse to Penner back to grouse. Maybe someday soon. Keep up the miles. You're doing great!

S

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Good luck Greg. We're rooting for you!

I was In your neck of the woods yesterday.. Made my way out to Beyers lake. Left Saturday and avoided the rain. I've been meaning to do the same north loop starting from grouse to Penner back to grouse. Maybe someday soon. Keep up the miles. You're doing great!

S
    Wow, we keep just missing each other in that area. Did you go to Beyer via Grouse Ridge or Lake Spaulding. Either way I probably drove, or walked, right past your car.

I'm going to do the same Friday/Saturday loop trip on the 20/21 and 27/28 of this month. On Oct 5th I want to do a one day 10 mile out and back up Mt Rose which will get me up to 10,700 (and also do the last 5 miles of the TART) I think you have my contact info, if not PM me. If you're up for any of those trips let me know.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    The worst part was some very nasty chafing which I've never dealt with before. That made the last 3 miles a hot, burning hell.

Give Body Glide a try. Best thing I've used to prevent chafing.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    good luck with the chaffing.. I had this a couple trips ago, it is miserable. Like you, the next day was better.
    At least you are finding out about it on a shorter outing.
    And I don't think I'll ever utter the words "I woke up late at 6 am"

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I think you'll do fine.

I only walked 2-4 hours/day plus throw in some stairs here and there
    for my AT prep. (LV is flat mind you. I don't think anything can really train a person properly for a thru).
    I met an older gentleman at Crampton Gap.
    He says, " I know who you are."
    I'm thinking, "omg. An aging creeper."
    I say, "oh?"
    "Yes. You are Dos on trail journals. I started following you because you started out so slow, so I figured if you could do it, I could do it."
    I wanted to slug him.

Next 2 days, I slacked for 16 and 18. including late starts.

Just after the half way point, I was doing 10's by 10:00 (if I was trying to hit a town, or cross a ferry by a certain time).

You can totally do this!

And as for heat rash or pack rash, or blisters or hot spots,
    I only used Leukotape.
    I used so much taping other hikers feet I had to send for another roll.

Get it on Amazon.
    WAYYYY too expensive in an Outfitters.

http://www.amazon.com/BSN-Medical-Le...ords=leukotape
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'm heading out to the Sierras the last weekend of this month. Doing a loop of Evolution Valley and Goddard Canyon from Florence Lake. How is the weather inthe Sierra lately? We were thinking of doing something in the Lake Tahoe area.
    Avoid cotton drawers take the Glide and keep some Goldbond handy. I did a four day eighty mile trek on the AT early this and started getting a chafing issue toward the end and I tell that Goldbond is the ticket.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    I tell you that Goldbond is the ticket.
    I agree. For AFTER the fact and evening use.

I Leukotaped the underside of my arms (sweat) and the inside of my thighs while
    hiking. Also a patch on my right lower back/hip where the pack rubbed after sweating.
    no duct tape for me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    Wow, we keep just missing each other in that area. Did you go to Beyer via Grouse Ridge or Lake Spaulding. Either way I probably drove, or walked, right past your car.

I'm going to do the same Friday/Saturday loop trip on the 20/21 and 27/28 of this month. On Oct 5th I want to do a one day 10 mile out and back up Mt Rose which will get me up to 10,700 (and also do the last 5 miles of the TART) I think you have my contact info, if not PM me. If you're up for any of those trips let me know.
    Neither. I parked at Summit City at Meadow lake and came to Beyers via Baltimore lake. while you didn't pass my car, you were just over the black buttes from me as I ponder how to get from Beyers to Glacier lake.

May be I can get back out there on the 27th. I'll let you know.

S

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    Give Body Glide a try. Best thing I've used to prevent chafing.
    I just picked some up at the running store last night. The big town just downhill from where I live is Auburn, the endurance sport capital of the world. They have the Western States 100 which is a 100 mile trail run from Squaw Valley Lake Tahoe to Auburn so there are good sport shops in town.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    And I don't think I'll ever utter the words "I woke up late at 6 am"
    My normal day starts at 4:30am so 6am is sleeping in for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I think you'll do fine.
    Just after the half way point, I was doing 10's by 10:00 (if I was trying to hit a town, or cross a ferry by a certain time).

You can totally do this!

And as for heat rash or pack rash, or blisters or hot spots,
    I only used Leukotape.
    I used so much taping other hikers feet I had to send for another roll.

Get it on Amazon.
    WAYYYY too expensive in an Outfitters.
    Thank you for the inspiration. I've heard of Leukotape being used for foot care and you're right, it's darn expensive at Big 5 or REI. That's why I've never tried it. I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleJ View Post
    I'm heading out to the Sierras the last weekend of this month. Doing a loop of Evolution Valley and Goddard Canyon from Florence Lake. How is the weather inthe Sierra lately? We were thinking of doing something in the Lake Tahoe area.
    Last week we had afternoon thunderstorms up where I was hiking. That's normal for this time of year. Lots of rain and thunder from about 4 to 6 and then it clears up. I had a completely clear night with temps only in the mid 50s. I was at about 7000' so that's actually pretty warm. Last year in mid October I was in the same area and it was in the 50's during the day and it got down to the mid 30's at night. Still quite comfortable.

The area where I'm training is about 30 miles northwest of Lake Tahoe so the temperatures should be reasonably similar. Evolution Valley is way south of us but if I remember correctly it's also much higher in elevation so it may be colder.

Avoid cotton drawers, take the Glide and keep some Goldbond handy. I did a four day eighty mile trek on the AT early this and started getting a chafing issue toward the end and I tell that Goldbond is the ticket.
    I'm using compression shorts which prevent chafing of the thighs. But they push the "boy parts" up and that's what gets chaffed which is REALLY painful. I tried body glide on last night's 4 mile run and everything seemed fine. Apparently, Gold Bond is making there own anti-friction glide which runners are starting to rave about but it's really hard to find. Online they're saying that you can get it at any drug store or Wal Mart but I couldn't find it at our Walgreens or CVS pharmacy. That might be the perfect solution.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast