Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters double
    Tarp
    still looking
    Suspension
    Whoopies or straps

Which beginner tarp?

Ok, I know there has probably been 100 of theses type of threads, and I think I have tried to to read most of them. I am wanting to get a cheap tarp so I can start hanging. I know I can go to walmart and get the cheap blue tarps (have some at home already), but I want something a little better.
    The reason I'm wanting something cheaper to start off with is, I'm not sure what I'm wanting for a tarp. I see all the different ones that people on here has, but I don't know what will work for me. So, I have been digging around looking at the different cheaper tarps. Here is a list of the few that I found that might work for me till I figure out what I want out of a tarp, so I know what to order for the next time.
    So, in your guys experience, can you help me out on getting something to cover me up while hanging, till I figure out the best tarp?

http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-145776...ef=pd_sbs_sg_2

http://bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/...=scsho3640625&

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TW-Hammock...af496f7f2#shId

http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd...live_green_3x3

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    10x12 urethane coated - Price is not bad, tarp is as bulletproof as we get these days, heavier but not a killer. Big enough that you probably do not need to play games like diagonal pitches to cover the ridge line and you can fold in doors as an experiment. Multi task later as a group dining fly. It may well stay as your go to for car and winter camping.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Sooopafly!
    Insulation
    20deg HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    straps/marlin
    Images

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Both the Warbonnet Edge and the Wilderness Logics Tadpole can be had for less than $100. While neither would be considered a "Beginner Tarp", the cost of anything more than a blue construction tarp will represent a significant percentage of the cost of either of the above.

Calculate how long, in nights, you would have to delay your purchase to afford one of these tarps. How many of those nights would you be sleeping under the tarp? Can you suffer a blue construction tarp that number? My guess is you can.

Good Luck

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome 11"
    Tarp
    DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie, UCR

Which beginner tarp?

I oense the saragasso tarp, and all i can say is for that money it is bombproof, never failed me, dont know what customs fee you have in us but its a great deal .

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The ones you have linked... the outfitter one is the same as the "gear guide" tarp. Do a search here for feedback on it. It is sort of okay but you get what you pay for. I bought one to start off and had to send the first one back because the fabric was damaged. the second was okay and big but i had to seam seal it and it still leaks. The amazon one seems like another version of that one. The latter two you linked are UK sources... shipping will not make this a viable option.

From experience in buying multiple tarps to eventually get to the one you like- the best bang for my buck i found before buying my WB superfly (which is EPPPIIIICCCCCCCCC btw) I think the Kelty Noah 12ft was it. I found it on sale for $60 shipped, its big and a little heavy but it does not leak like the guide gear does. http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Noahs-Ta...ah%27s+tarp+12

Thus now...my gear guide tarp is my campsite tarp for the car camping kitchen area, my noah is a backup/loaner, and the superfly is my hammock tarp.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    If you want to go for something a bit better than the GG (that you will have to seam seal) but you aren't quite ready to drop a bill, you can't go wrong with the Kelty Noah 12 or a Hennessy Hex 70D. The Kelty is a bit cheaper than the HH Hex and the has endless set-up options. Being in Indiana, doors would be a plus right? http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=10 I love mine! I also love my HH Hex so in my opinion (and we all have one here) you can't go wrong with either of these. Now to the best part, you can always sell the HH and the Kelty here when you get tired of it. Happy Hangin. +1 to OCDave. He is right, but sometimes you just can't wait when the gear bug start biting!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Do not skimp on your tarp...it is the most important part of your kit! Tarp fails and your hammock and insulation is wet this equals a BAD night. If unsure get a "Winter" tarp with doors you can always sell it for close to full price if it doesnt work for you.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I bought my first tarp on the HF For Sale section. A lightly used Warbonnet Mambajamba (new $110) with doors (new $75) for $85. I still use it when I know the weather warrants it.

Deals happen all of the time. You just need to watch and be ready to pounce.

Good luck!

Dog
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    +1 on the tadpole. It may also be all you need for the rest of your hammock career. And if you don't like it, sell it here for just a little below your purchase price. http://wildernesslogics.com/TAD-POLE-Tad-Pole.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast