Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps & Dutch's

Doors or no Doors...That is the question!

My apologies to Will S for the paraphrase.

So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cuben tarp, and since I do most of my hiking in TX, with occasional jaunts to either OK or AK, I wanted to ask a question of my fellow Texans.

Doors or no doors?

I know it gets windy here often enough, but we just don't seem to get the weather to justify getting a tarp with doors on it. Of course I can always buy something like the MamaJamba with a door kit, or the MacCat Ultra for those nasty days and just get the Cuben without for the rest of the time.

And that's been my quandary for a few days now. So....can y'all help a fellow Texan out with a tad of advice? Gracias!
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Get a cuben with doors on just one side?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    When solo, I use a tarp without doors most of the time. When my wife joins me, we use a large winter tarp with doors, the Honeymoon Suite. My son loves the doors on his WB Superfly.

When I bought my cuben tarp, I had the same questions and my thought process was that as light as cuben is, the doors won't add much and I'm still lighter than my silnylon. So that's what I went with, a HG Cuben with doors.

I've ridden out some pretty crazy storms and when the cold wind is blowing and the rain is horizontal, doors are nice to have along.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I went with doors....cuben is so light!

Cheers

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Get the cuben tarp and then get the cuben door kit from 2QZQ. Then you get the best of both worlds.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    My personal experience (Houston/Coastal Texas):

I have a Hennessey Hex with doors that attach via strips of Omni rape, and I have a Toxaway without doors. I take the Hennessey if the chance for rain is high, and the Toxaway if not. When I bring the Toxaway, I hang the tarp high for a good view and to keep from having to bend over while underneath near the hammock.

Every time I have taken the Hennessey it has not rained. Every time I bring the Toxaway, it does.

While it is tempting to deduce from this experience that my tarp choice is affecting the climate, I don't think it is. I have, however, determined that it is best to have doors of some sort, or at least something to keep the rain off the ends of the hammock when the tarp is strung high. Wet feet has finally gotten me to accept any weight penalty for carrying doors.

I am, however, looking into the possibility of making some "end covers" for the hammock: small silnylon mini-tarps about two feet long that would hang on the ridgeline to cover the ends of the hammock, as this is where the most rain comes in. The challenge is to keep them from flapping around.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Super fly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap and buckle
    I went with the doors not only for driving rain protection but also to guide in a breeze if desired or just just a little extra coverage for when sitting in the camp chair in my tarp.
    Cummins powered.
    Gear: superfly tarp gt double hung from whoopies and an eno bug net.
    WBBB XLC under a super fly

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    My personal experience (Houston/Coastal Texas):

I have a Hennessey Hex with doors that attach via strips of Omni rape, and I have a Toxaway without doors. I take the Hennessey if the chance for rain is high, and the Toxaway if not. When I bring the Toxaway, I hang the tarp high for a good view and to keep from having to bend over while underneath near the hammock.

Every time I have taken the Hennessey it has not rained. Every time I bring the Toxaway, it does.

While it is tempting to deduce from this experience that my tarp choice is affecting the climate, I don't think it is. I have, however, determined that it is best to have doors of some sort, or at least something to keep the rain off the ends of the hammock when the tarp is strung high. Wet feet has finally gotten me to accept any weight penalty for carrying doors.

I am, however, looking into the possibility of making some "end covers" for the hammock: small silnylon mini-tarps about two feet long that would hang on the ridgeline to cover the ends of the hammock, as this is where the most rain comes in. The challenge is to keep them from flapping around.

Someone, can't remember who, posted a thread about making endcaps for their hammock from polycryo. Really lightweight and low cost. I picked up some polycryo to make some myself just haven't gotten around to it.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Someone, can't remember who, posted a thread about making endcaps for their hammock from polycryo. Really lightweight and low cost. I picked up some polycryo to make some myself just haven't gotten around to it.
    I've gone so far as to make a prototype out of 1.9 but haven't gotten the gumption to cut the 1.1 sil yet. Basically its a rectangle hemmed on all sides, then folded over and one side sewn leaving about 4" unsewn near the fold, where the suspension would go through and some pockets on the other end for trekking poles to hold it open.

Theoretically lighter than doors and deployable only when needed.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    I've gone so far as to make a prototype out of 1.9 but haven't gotten the gumption to cut the 1.1 sil yet. Basically its a rectangle hemmed on all sides, then folded over and one side sewn leaving about 4" unsewn near the fold, where the suspension would go through and some pockets on the other end for trekking poles to hold it open.

Theoretically lighter than doors and deployable only when needed.
    Have you looked at 2QZQ Griz beaks?
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast